What has happened to the high season?

cyberfarang

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/10/2016 at 1:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If C M has no high season, they need look only to themselves for the answer. Plenty of temples and tours in the day time, sod all after dark.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:17 PM, LivinLOS said:

Missing the point.. If the asian market can do so well, and be easier to work with, and complain less, while being less price sensitive.. Why exactly should they work harder for less ??

Who would want to get into the Loy Kroh or tourist bar trade, with people grumbling over tiny increases in beer costs, when asians queue up to spend 4x the price for imported / status items. 

We must be living in a different city or you might want to extend your views on what "tourists" mean...

Before going further as well, consider a fact for 2016 is the near ban on concerts in open bars, which most venues seems to follow carefully...

Now: European tourism has been declining for over 10 years now, was replaced 6-7 years ago in Thailand by Russian.

At this time, the "bar scene" already started dying as most Russians were coming with family and using 7/11 rather than the bars..

Today i still see a lot of "farang" on motorcycles but they seem to be more young couples or 2 girls, probably ok for Suzie and such but not for the bargirls...

Tourism until March April was mainly chinese, until government screwed the Karavan tours in March April, then Chinese charters grounded around June and then another screw up of the Chinese groups by Government killing 0 dollars tours and killing a big part of its own industry..

Sure, some Chinese agents were using Chinese hotels (10-20% maybe) but the buses fill up in Gas stations, the Chineses stop at 7-11 and can buy food from stalls too, 80% of the volume was sleeping in THAI hotels, eating lunch and fighting over prawns in Thai hotels :giggle:...

This volume gone, most hotels lost 50% of their income, dropped their prices, price war = lose/lose... Stupid move...

Change of behavior, chinese are still coming but new generations now is coming by themselves in couple, have the phone already connected when in Thailand, renting motorbikes and driving around map in hand.

No high season in Chiang Mai? 55555

Every single hotel near Nimman is running December over 90% and refuses guests despite crack down on 0 dollars...

Night markets hotel are struggling mainly because they still rely heavily on Europeans and the area is not so popular with Asians...

No night life in CM??? 555

The hot and trendy area is not Loy Kroh, it is Nimman....

Top destination for all Asian, including domestic Thai market, which is exploding this month since the rooms are not booked by Chinese tours...

Tourists numbers are up (or even) in CM compared to last year but those are not the same tourists, won't see them in Loy Khro..

Try Maya :smile:

And yes, confirmed, the new generation of Chinese spends much much more than Europeans used to do..

They dont buy 120 THB souvenir in night market or lady drinks nearby, they shop in Maya 3000 THB at a time...

We must be living in a different city or you might want to extend your views on what "tourists" mean...
Before going further as well, consider a fact for 2016 is the near ban on concerts in open bars, which most venues seems to follow carefully...

Now: European tourism has been declining for over 10 years now, was replaced 6-7 years ago in Thailand by Russian.
At this time, the "bar scene" already started dying as most Russians were coming with family and using 7/11 rather than the bars..

Today i still see a lot of "farang" on motorcycles but they seem to be more young couples or 2 girls, probably ok for Suzie and such but not for the bargirls...

Tourism until March April was mainly chinese, until government screwed the Karavan tours in March April, then Chinese charters grounded around June and then another screw up of the Chinese groups by Government killing 0 dollars tours and killing a big part of its own industry..
Sure, some Chinese agents were using Chinese hotels (10-20% maybe) but the buses fill up in Gas stations, the Chineses stop at 7-11 and can buy food from stalls too, 80% of the volume was sleeping in THAI hotels, eating lunch and fighting over prawns in Thai hotels :giggle:...
This volume gone, most hotels lost 50% of their income, dropped their prices, price war = lose/lose... Stupid move...

Change of behavior, chinese are still coming but new generations now is coming by themselves in couple, have the phone already connected when in Thailand, renting motorbikes and driving around map in hand.

Every single hotel near Nimman is running December over 90% and refuses guests despite crack down on 0 dollars...
Night markets hotel are struggling mainly because they still rely heavily on Europeans and the area is not so popular with Asians...

Top destination for all Asian, including domestic Thai market, which is exploding this month since the rooms are not booked by Chinese tours...

Tourists numbers are up (or even) in CM compared to last year but those are not the same tourists, won't see them in Loy Khro..
Try Maya [emoji2]

And yes, confirmed, the new generation of Chinese spends much much more than Europeans used to do..
They dont buy 120 THB souvenir in night market or lady drinks nearby, they shop in Maya 3000 THB at a time...

Loy kroh is what regular tourists will see, it's central. I'm a prime example just having spent 3 weeks in chiang mai scratching my head as to why all the bars were empty apart from the odd farang. The beer grannys begging just made it all more depressing.. I left after 3 weeks even though payed for a month.
Won't be heading back anytime soon!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CantSpell said:

I just checked hotels on Agoda..for a room for two nights, starting tomorrow, the 22nd.  19 hotels with rooms available in just the Nimman area....looks like The Bates is busier, but thanks for the lesson in Elvis Economics.  Partying on Nimman is hideous.  I did find 10 THB pummelos in the Old City, yesterday, otherwise I am damn glad I live by CMU and not the tourist traps.  Neither the farang or Chinese women are in the same league as the CMU coeds.....and you wouldn't see them trying to charge 70 for a cup of coffee up here in a thousand years or any other ripoff.  Glad all the high maintenance white trash is glued in the OC and Nimman.  Nothing like a 159 THB bowl of Tom Yum that taste like hospital food.  "Too spicy, too spicy."...the EuroTrash chorus.....

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I just checked hotels on Agoda..for a room for two nights, starting tomorrow, the 22nd.  19 hotels with rooms available in just the Nimman area....looks like The Bates is busier, but thanks for the lesson in Elvis Economics.  Partying on Nimman is hideous.  I did find 10 THB pummelos in the Old City, yesterday, otherwise I am damn glad I live by CMU and not the tourist traps.  Neither the farang or Chinese women are in the same league as the CMU coeds.....and you wouldn't see them trying to charge 70 for a cup of coffee up here in a thousand years or any other ripoff.  Glad all the high maintenance white trash is glued in the OC and Nimman.  Nothing like a 159 THB bowl of Tom Yum that taste like hospital food.  "Too spicy, too spicy."...the EuroTrash chorus.....

Subject was on tourism and shift of areas and behavior during this high season...

Not where the Chiang Mai residents are having their coffee or somtam...

And I stated 90%, impossible for an hotel to be 100% daily for a month...

Now 19 hotels in Nimman?  Might want to check maybe 22nd of March... 95 hotels available... I rest my case: means 76 hotels on Nimma are full ...

Edited by CantSpell

On 12/21/2016 at 3:44 PM, CantSpell said:

Start out by disagreeing with my quote.. Then a long post saying exactly what I am stating.. 

Confused ?? 

On 12/21/2016 at 5:10 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Partying on Nimman is hideous.  I did find 10 THB pummelos in the Old City, yesterday, otherwise I am damn glad I live by CMU and not the tourist traps.  Neither the farang or Chinese women are in the same league as the CMU coeds.....and you wouldn't see them trying to charge 70 for a cup of coffee up here in a thousand years or any other ripoff.  Glad all the high maintenance white trash is glued in the OC and Nimman.  

Yeah you dont ever see CMU coeds partying on niman !! Warm up never has any of them.. 

So your praising the CMU coeds.. But warm up is a teenybooper bar ?? 

And niman has no CMU coeds.. We except for those teenybooper ones ?? 

I am trying to find some consistency to your posts.. 

Edited by LivinLOS

I guarantee that what little entertainments are left in Chiang Mai, the restaurants,  cafes, coffee shops, guest houses, hotels, spas, massage parlours and the grotty few bars will whack their prices up during the Christmas and New Year festivities period trying to grab what they can from the tourists while the going is good, or so they believe. Another reason why I will be staying home with my family during this time rather then risk going out to be ripped off and have to pay over inflated prices for what is basically sub standard, no thrills grot.

Here is an interesting article by Albert Jack. Well worth a read:

http://albertjack.com/2016/08/30/jack-report-days-numbered-thai-tourist-industry/

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I guarantee that what little entertainments are left in Chiang Mai, the restaurants,  cafes, coffee shops, guest houses, hotels, spas, massage parlours and the grotty few bars will whack their prices up during the Christmas and New Year festivities period trying to grab what they can from the tourists while the going is good, or so they believe. Another reason why I will be staying home with my family during this time rather then risk going out to be ripped off and have to pay over inflated prices for what is basically sub standard, no thrills grot.

Dear lord.. Between this and the guy looking for pre packed solo xmas TV dinners I really am feeling the xmas cheer.. 

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

So your praising the CMU coeds.. But warm up is a teenybooper bar ?? 

And niman has no CMU coeds.. We except for those teenybooper ones ?? 

I am trying to find some consistency to your posts.. 

the cmu girls are a very small part of the ambiance on Nimman, and even at warm-up....which isn.t as good as out of business Monkey, which moved.  School is out of session, right now..so most of the 15000 are gone, but I'm sure there are some stragglers at warm up...just the music sucks, it is hot and crowded, prices suck, and it is just amateurish in every way.  They will clean my condo for 60 per hour...not really worth getting excited about, or going deaf trying to flirt with one that is looking for the highest bidder.

2 hours ago, evenstevens said:

Yawn, wake us up by kicking this thread in the guts

Well, yea, I go along with you on this one. Think we have established why the glitz has gone from the city that was the main point of this thread and on reading a lot of the posts it seems many have the same opinions.

Maybe the TAT will also read these posts and take note.

The Travel lady (of course, it's ALWAYS a lady) did say this was low season.  Good for me, bad for her.

and in a few months, pollution (saw burning up north a few days back)...  and then only the super poor backpackers with beards at the vegan restaurants will be in 7-11 buying alcohol and cigarettes.    555555