How Do You Keep Your House Cool & Lower Your Electricity Costs ?

taewoo

Hey Bangkok-ers.

Question: I live in an old house in bangkok part of the year, and my electricity rates are insane. Not to mention b/c it's old, I see tons of waste and I'm not a fan of inefficiency.

This house was built in 50's (or 60's). Electricity is not grounded, and considering how run down BKK's electricity grid is, I am not too surprised. One side of the house gets so insanely hot that i can't even go to the 2nd floor during the day.

And w/o A/C, there's no air ventilation and I'm afraid of opening windows in Thailand b/c of mosquitos.

If there are some home owners who live in non-condos, I'd love to get your advice.

1) If you have solar or have considered going solar, what is your solar ROI after all costs / incentives (if any)? I heard net metering is now available. Is there a diff. subreddit or a thread that specifically talks about Thailand solar?

2) What is the cost effective (or rather, best bang for the buck in terms of ROI) for keeping the house cool? So far, I've looked at retractable vertical blinds for the side of the house that gets sun about 15 hours a day. Also thought about painting the roof white, or putting up aluminum roof (ugly but i have a canadian GC friend who also frequents thailand who mentioned that this might be an effective solution), and putting an "umbrella" (that's the best way I can describe it.. it's like a roof for the roof.. basically another roof w/ nothing but empty space between that and the actual roof). 

(I live in a townhouse where the walls are shared so anything that involves major construction w/neighbor's physical structure isn't really a viable option)

I am completely new to this so Im open to any suggestions

PS: There's a major construction in the backyard of the house and I get insane amount of dust every day.. (near central ladprao where they're currently building / extending BTS). I was thinking of putting up a giant plastic wrap over the main doors and windows... but im open to suggestions. I was away for couple of months and I have almost 4 cm worth of dust in my backyard.

If you have space lots of shade plants.

Keeping the direct sun off the walls makes a massive difference, wall shades (like a flying roof but vertical) work very well, make sure they allow vertical airflow in the gap.

Is the loft space insulated?

That much dust can't be good for your health, possibility of moving?

The best way to cool down an overheated room or house without an A/C is to install an air extractor on the top the building (warmer side of the house) and a air pulse on the ground floor (on the cooler side of the building). Use a mosquito net at the air inlet. You should reach a temperature slightly lower inside than outside.

Using for exemple an 80 watt fan for the pulse and a 60 watt fan for the extractor will help keep a positive pressure in the building and keep the dust outside (if the inlet is located in a dust free area).

mev.png.066028002082.jpg

Edited by metrox
  • Like 1

If you don't own it move, if you do than you can think about all this money to spend.  Solar, no way you'll get your money back. They do make a metal roof here that has a reflective finish and looks like a stone roof, it is roller formed to order at a local shop that has the roller machine, the machine glues insulation on the metal as it is being formed.  I used it on my home and the attic is not hot.  It won't help you that much if your walls are regular brick or block and in the sun all day. They use a foam board insulation in the US that they can glue and fasten to your walls and then stucco over that. Looks great but I don't know if they have that here. Good luck

If you don't mind thinking outside the box, you could try to establish a radiant barrier on the surfaces that are exposed to the most sunlight through heat reflective paint. This is being used in Thailand, but mainly on roofs. I have a friend in Ban Chang that had this applied and he has said he definitely has noticed the difference. Not sure if it would be suitable for a condo though. Here are a couple of links that explain it:

http://www.painting-ideas-and-techniques.com/heat-reflective-paint.html

http://www.astecpaints.com.au/heat-reflective-paint.html

http://www.texcote.com/reflect-tec.php 

As mentioned, reflective insulation is the best solution in a hot climate. Foil, shiny side facing up or down, with an airspace, will stop downward travel of radiant heat but in the evening will offer little resistance to upward heat loss, allowing the building to cool. Two layers of foil, separated by at least 50mm air, will insulate far better than 100mm glass fibre.

The canopy idea is fine, especially with foil underneath. Reflective wall paint and shading too.

9 hours ago, MichaelFaHam said:

As mentioned, reflective insulation is the best solution in a hot climate. Foil, shiny side facing up or down, with an airspace, will stop downward travel of radiant heat but in the evening will offer little resistance to upward heat loss, allowing the building to cool. Two layers of foil, separated by at least 50mm air, will insulate far better than 100mm glass fibre.

The canopy idea is fine, especially with foil underneath. Reflective wall paint and shading too.

I don't agree that radiant foil insulates better than insulation, radiant foil redirects radiant heat but it does nothing to reduce the impact of convected heat (warm air), that's why bat type insulation in Thailand is encased in aluminium foil because it works to prevent both.

16 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Reflective film on glass and/or external bamboo blinds

Attic insulation.

I have found that most of the heat comes in through the windows, closed or otherwise if the sun is directly on them.

I put up soffit boards (fibro sheets), 600mm x 1200mm at about 50 baht each, I have found them so effective and cheap, I stack 3 of them together on the windows that are affected by the sun most of the day, and as I have a window ledges and a single level floor plan they are easy to put on and take down in the evening.

The offit boards go under the eaves of the house as you can see on the photo, and as I had a few spare laying around and annoyed at the sun hitting me in the face at breakfast on the dining table (window tinted done by me previously and not satisfied when sun on window), I put a few soffit boards on, what a bloody great discovery by me, so effect and cheap its a major win for my pocket, I will paint them and make some sort of frame so they look in keeping with the house, eventually, that is if I can get off my ass 555

IMG_2045.JPG

Edited by 4MyEgo

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

I have found that most of the heat comes in through the windows, closed or otherwise if the sun is directly on them.

I put up soffit boards (fibro sheets), 600mm x 1200mm at about 50 baht each, I have found them so effective and cheap, I stack 3 of them together on the windows that are affected by the sun most of the day, and as I have a window ledges and a single level floor plan they are easy to put on and take down in the evening.

The offit boards go under the eaves of the house as you can see on the photo, and as I had a few spare laying around and annoyed at the sun hitting me in the face at breakfast on the dining table (window tinted done by me previously and not satisfied when sun on window), I put a few soffit boards on, what a bloody great discovery by me, so effect and cheap its not funny.

IMG_2045.JPG

A pair of 30 calibre poking through the slits would look good. :laugh:

18 hours ago, metrox said:

The best way to cool down an overheated room or house without an A/C is to install an air extractor on the top the building (warmer side of the house) and a air pulse on the ground floor (on the cooler side of the building). Use a mosquito net at the air inlet. You should reach a temperature slightly lower inside than outside.

Using for exemple an 80 watt fan for the pulse and a 60 watt fan for the extractor will help keep a positive pressure in the building and keep the dust outside (if the inlet is located in a dust free area).

mev.png.066028002082.jpg

Can you purchase this is Thailand ?

On 12/1/2016 at 11:50 AM, Crossy said:

If you have space lots of shade plants.

Keeping the direct sun off the walls makes a massive difference, wall shades (like a flying roof but vertical) work very well, make sure they allow vertical airflow in the gap.

Is the loft space insulated?

That much dust can't be good for your health, possibility of moving?

Agreed, natural shade is one of the better options. You can get some quite tall shrubs in pots. They are also very effective at reducing airborne dust.

To the OP, you're best option is not to rent the house any more. Do not consider any major investment like solar panels or insulation on a property you rent. You would need the landlord's permission anyway. 
The issue with the 2nd floor being unbearable is very common - easiest solution, move out and rent/buy a condo unit where the units overhead are blocking the direct sun. 
The issue with the dust represents a serious health risk. It sounds like it could be from concrete or cement. Do your own research into how dangerous that is. The dust alone should be reason enough to move. Even a top-notch Blue-Air air purifier costing 20-30k baht wouldn't help deal with the level of dust you are reporting. 
If, for whatever reason, you can't move, my advice is not to invest in someone's property. Try to designate one or two of the downstairs rooms as your primary living space. Use blinds, shades or plants to block the sun from those walls and use the AC in those rooms.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:02 AM, chiang mai said:

I don't agree that radiant foil insulates better than insulation, radiant foil redirects radiant heat but it does nothing to reduce the impact of convected heat (warm air), that's why bat type insulation in Thailand is encased in aluminium foil because it works to prevent both.

Unfortunately you are mistaken. Convected heat only travels upward. Maybe you are thinking of conducted heat? The latter is indeed a problem, especially with window areas and sun exposed walls.

However, when the conducted heat must cross a void it mostly does so as radiant heat, for which reflective insulation is most effective.... think of how a vacuum flask (Thermos) works to keep drinks hot.

Bulk insulation in a ceiling is a very effective barrier to convected heat and so great in colder climates but tends to slow room cooling after sundown in hot conditions.

Oh, and the reason the bulk insulation is foil wrapped is because the foil vastly increases the performance of the product. The bulk component is largely there to help sell it to sceptics!

Edited by MichaelFaHam
additional info added

On 12/1/2016 at 2:48 PM, metrox said:

mev.png.066028002082.jpg

I really like this idea especially the positive pressure aspect.

How practical is it to install a large air filter on the inlet to reduce dust?

I have never seen or even heard of this being done in Thailand but the theory seems like a good solution to both heat and dust build-up in a multi storey house.