Ban diesel vehicles in BKK

JoePai

Thankfully Bangkok doesn't suffer from air pollution from diesel vehicles in any way like the four polluted cities that are the subject of the linked report making a ban not only impractical but also impracticable.

21 hours ago, dominique355 said:

They could increase the price of Diesel to say 40 baht. That will keep some cars away. Less pollution less traffic jam.

Let's see, less traffic and less pollution so quicker, cleaner drive and easier parking at your favorite restaurant... that will be charging more since their supply chain depends on a whole lot of diesel-powered transportation to get your 'Chilean Sea Bass' from Nakhon Nowhere to the restaurant kitchen.

21 hours ago, dominique355 said:

They could increase the price of Diesel to say 40 baht. That will keep some cars away. Less pollution less traffic jam.

The biggest diesel polluters in BKK are probably the ancient buses..Your '40bht will not fix that...

2 hours ago, transam said:

The biggest diesel polluters in BKK are probably the ancient buses..Your '40bht will not fix that...

...but the LPG that the majority of Bangkok's buses run on is fixing it.

Let's see ... most commercial vehicles are powered by diesel engines. Those that deliver groceries, fuel, water, clothes, people, removes garbage, repairs the electrical grid, builds the new buildings. A few CNG for the tractor trailers. This idea has Merit ! 555

Apparently banning the sale of new two-stroke motorcycles, and switching small vehicles to LPG helps.  Whacking tax on fuel encourages efficiency, and discourages idling.

But for large commercial vehicles, I don't see any real alternative to diesel anywhere

SC

6 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Apparently banning the sale of new two-stroke motorcycles, and switching small vehicles to LPG helps.  Whacking tax on fuel encourages efficiency, and discourages idling.

But for large commercial vehicles, I don't see any real alternative to diesel anywhere

SC

As Canthai mentioned CNG can be an alternative to Diesel for trucks.  CNG disadvantages for most trucks can be offset by fuel price difference.  In the past when Diesel prices exceeded 40 Baht / L a lot of trucks both large and small were either converted to CNG with fumigation systems or repowered with CNG engines.  Since then, new CNG trucks have been available sporadically but their popularity varies with the Diesel price and CNG availability.    

On 12/2/2016 at 0:37 PM, gdgbb said:

Thankfully Bangkok doesn't suffer from air pollution from diesel vehicles in any way like the four polluted cities that are the subject of the linked report making a ban not only impractical but also impracticable.

They probably measure the pollution on the 50th floor.  

Get down at street level in traffic and wherever BKK stacks up on the surveys, diesel fumes are obnoxious.

Still, I'd prefer banning individual vehicles (gas and diesel) based on their actual exhaust to a blanket ban on all diesels.   That would be very doable.

On 03/12/2016 at 6:06 PM, transam said:

Sadly not the ones I drive behind...

...of course not.   Strange how only you claims to be able to locate and drive behind the tiny number of diesel buses on Bangkok's streets.

On 09/12/2016 at 5:04 PM, impulse said:

They probably measure the pollution on the 50th floor.  

Get down at street level in traffic and wherever BKK stacks up on the surveys, diesel fumes are obnoxious.

Such as where specifically, and what surveys?   Sukhumvit's fine, Silom has no issues, Sathorn doesn't suffer as you claim.  Bangkok simply is not choked by diesel fumes as you claim

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Such as where specifically, and what surveys?   Sukhumvit's fine, Silom has no issues, Sathorn doesn't suffer as you claim.  Bangkok simply is not choked by diesel fumes as you claim

You apparently don't ride a scooter on those streets.  Or a bicycle.  If you did, you wouldn't trust any survey that claims the Bangkok street level air is healthy.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

You apparently don't ride a scooter on those streets.  Or a bicycle.  If you did, you wouldn't trust any survey that claims the Bangkok street level air is healthy.

You're right, I don't ride either of those but I do walk and breathe the same air as cyclists or motorcyclists and have no problems with what you describe as "obnoxious diesel fumes" so I am in no less of a position to judge than you.   By the way,  I didn't say the air in Bangkok was healthy, you used that word.

On 10/12/2016 at 6:11 PM, gdgbb said:

When in the uk (I'm in a semi rural area) I never suffer from respiratory problems. Almost every time I stay in Bkk  I have a reaction to the low air quality similar to asthma and/or laryngitis. A terrible deep seated chesty cough and a restriction of the airway. It takes up to 6 weeks to get rid of :-( The air quality is much better in Bkk than it was 10 years ago, but is still far from good. I've taken to wearing a mask when I remember.

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Thailand&city1=Preston&city2=Bangkok

1 hour ago, Lancashirelad said:

When in the uk (I'm in a semi rural area) I never suffer from respiratory problems. Almost every time I stay in Bkk  I have a reaction to the low air quality similar to asthma and/or laryngitis. A terrible deep seated chesty cough and a restriction of the airway. It takes up to 6 weeks to get rid of :-( The air quality is much better in Bkk than it was 10 years ago, but is still far from good. I've taken to wearing a mask when I remember.

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Thailand&city1=Preston&city2=Bangkok

The entertainment index for Preston is probably equal to the PM10 value.

Archived