Army launches crackdown on taxi parking

Rimmer

Army launches crackdown on taxi parking

The military mobilized last week to keep baht buses and taxis from parking illegally around the Beach Road / South Road intersection.

PATTAYA:-- The military launched its promised crackdown on taxi drivers parking in prohibited areas and blocking traffic.

Lt. Santiban Saendee, head of the National Council for Peace and Order’s Bang­lamung office, sent soldiers from the 21st King’s Guard to the intersection of South and Beach roads where large numbers of meter cabs and baht buses were parking and obstructing traffic.

The taxis, waiting to lure novice travelers into taking overpriced rides, has been a problem for years, but the previous city government had ignored it.

Officers pointed out that signs prohibit parking in the left lane from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. and taxis were only allowed to stop to allow passengers to alight, not wait for fares.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/army-launches-crackdown-taxi-parking-156984

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-12-02

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Great news!  Now if only they can break the taxi mafia and let us have real metered taxis!  Grab Taxi is OK, but still a bit pricey and not always available or nearby.

Grabtaxi adopted the Pattaya mafia pricing a long time ago. Now there's not much difference to just hailing one.

36 minutes ago, wump said:

Grabtaxi adopted the Pattaya mafia pricing a long time ago. Now there's not much difference to just hailing one.

If you live out of town, there are no taxis to hail!  Grab Taxi is the only option.  Getting much better now.  But yes, massively overpriced.

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

If you live out of town, there are no taxis to hail!  Grab Taxi is the only option.  Getting much better now.  But yes, massively overpriced.

you dont have uber there yet ?

51 minutes ago, wump said:

About freaking time. I had my tyre slashed after unknowingly parking for 5 minutes in their non-marked "taxi zone". Hate them!

Yes, and I got king-hit from behind by a Thai male hero for parking my bike in "their" zone while I grabbed a burger. This and numerous other instances of threats and intimidation over the years for seemingly innocent acts (myself and others) has left me with a deep and abiding hatred for these scum.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

The army have launched a crackdown on taxis.

Why are the army having to do a job that the police are paid to do????

When a former police colonel was in the head of a former corrupt government :passifier:

8 minutes ago, retarius said:

Crackdowns are a total waste of time. The taxis will move away for a couple of days and as soon as the cops have gone, they'll be back as usual.

as soon as the cops   read army have gone, they'll be back as usual.

Great News! Iv posted before about my run ins with taxi parking blocking me in and trying to hold my wife and baby so played idiot back and slid the window of the taxi and moved the heap of shit and got out of there. Pricks wouldnt touch me. Went straight for my wife and child.

Wheres the police policing the police also? So sick of these scum. They dont care about anything and always have a "come back tomorrow" type attitude. I hope karma is alive and well...

Perhaps the police are just too scared to catch a criminal? 

" The military launched its promised crackdown on taxi drivers parking in prohibited areas and blocking traffic "

So send in the army ?  How many countries in the world rely on the army to arrange beach chairs, break up meetings of five people or more, lead jazzercise sessions every Wednesday afternoon and remove Hooka Pipes.  Sounding more like a p____e sta_e all the time

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not really. I have a regular I use. A mother son team. Mum works during the day, son at night. Always show up on time and we haveworked out set prices. If she is busy she sends someone ekse and the rate is the same. Walking street to darkside for the prce of a couple of lady drinks.

If you want her number send me apersonalmessage.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder which is worse.  Having taxis sitting still waiting for a fare, or having them circling at 1 mph and doing u-turns 100 meters on each end of the sweet zone?

Here it comes...   Whack-a-Mole.

They hang there because of customer demand. Used one last night, 3am. Nine of us to the darkside for 500 with a 5 minute 7/11 stop on the way. 

So about 50 baht each. Bargain. 

Certainly better than not having them.

I think many members here expecta lot for nothing.

Expect a non profit service. Scummy.

17 hours ago, Redline said:

What the heck?  Please give the time and dates for crackdowns.  They seemed to have stopped doing this.  How annoying!

They didn't stop. The army was required for the first days, now the police took the relay. Last night here was a police car, with flashing beacon on, parked in the middle of this area; 2 policemen controlling both sides of the street (both forbidden to car park); No bahtbus parked there, but more parked along 2nd Rd around the corner, where they are authorized to park.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Not enough policemen working at night to just "waste" 10+ of them here from 7pm to 3am during several days. Military were preventing bahtbus to park while the 2-3 policemen were explaining the problem to drivers and delivering them the City Hall notice.

Now that the system is in place, only a few policemen required to keep it working.

On 02/12/2016 at 0:25 PM, colinneil said:

Because you have fallen into the trap of believing that

The Police are there to uphold and enforce the law

and The Military are there to protect the nation from external threats.

It might be better just to call them The Browns and The Greens.

In true Thai fashion, neither are what they purport to be, they  are states within a state. To gain a permanent position in one or the other is a sinecure and a rent-seeking opportunity. You pay to get in and then grab as much as you can get away with. Both feed off the work of the mass population in a variety of ways. Neither is accountable to outside forces.

Have you ever noticed that these crackdowns are always centred on lucrative areas of the black economy? I haven't seen any crackdown on air pollution or littering. No money there.

The current trend is the military pushing aside the police-backed local groupings. Shortly, income streams will be rearranged and everything will go on as it always has.

Traffic on that corner is a total disgrace and it's about time someone sorted it out. Banning all vehicles (including vendor carts) from stopping within 100m of the corner would completely solve the problem and would be simple to implement.

I did notice the other evening that police were preventing illegal stopping and parking near the VC Hotel, another area that is in dire need of effective control.