Native Americans stand by Standing Rock Sioux to defy corporate interests

rooster59

Native Americans stand by Standing Rock Sioux to defy corporate interests

606x341_351310.jpg

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe protest against the construction of a $3.8bn access oil pipeline in North Dakota continues unabated despite the bitter cold.

The state govenor, “Jack” Dalrymple III, used the freezing temperatures as a pretext to evict the protesters for their own protection.

However, this is more than plummeting mercury this is native America standing up to corporate interests in a direct clash of cultures.

The intimidation, violence and chill simply bolsters resolve.

Loretta Redding travelled from California to join the protest and admits the cold is a problem, but the warmth comes from the cameraderie:
“Everything is much more work and everybody is constantly worrying about everybody, but no one is going anywhere and that’s what I find really beautiful.”

The Dakota Access pipeline will carry 470,000 barrels of oil per day from North Dakota to Illinois, where it will link up with the rest of the network.

The pipeline is almost complete except for the segment due to be fed under the Missouri River close to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Reservation.

In early November the federal government intervened and prohibited the company from from crossing the river in order to review the permit issued by the landowners, the US Army Engineers corps stationed at nearby Cannon Ball, the review is over and the Sioux have been told to get of Dodge.

The construction company just wants to get on with the job.

Kelcy Warren is the CEO of energy transfer:“We’re simply a company that builds infrastructure, acting lawfully and doing everything we’re supposed to do and we’re going to build a safe pipeline and we’re gonna cross the river at that location.”

For the Sioux the Missouri River provides the tribal waters and any contamination would be cataclysmic.

It is also sacred ground.

Winona Kasto is a Cheyenne River Sioux:“It is sacred to us because it is our land and our ancestors were on this land before us. And, the places where they’re trying to put the pipeline is, you know, there’s burial grounds there. and those are sacred to us. You don’t pass on burial grounds.”

The Standing Rock Sioux do not stand alone thousands of Native American’s and others have travelled to Sacred Stone Camp to defy the diggers and their motivation.

These Native Americans refuse to bow down to the power behind the almighty dollar .

Many of the protesters see the defiance as a spiritual awakening.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-03

So the only segment left is under the river...and "they’re trying to put the pipeline is, you know, there’s burial grounds there".

Wow...wonder I'd they had the Viking funerals where an archer lit the canoe while it floated downstream.

As an aside, the Army Corp of Engineers, who happen to own the land, have an order that prohibits the construction company from constructing near or under the river.  The bold disregard that this company holds for Native Americans and the US Government is breathtaking.   

8 hours ago, ksamuiguy said:

Stay Strong, stand up for your rights !

Good Luck, may the great spirit watch over you.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope they win this one. Get the truth out.

6 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

Custer wore arrow shirts, and rightly so. Many Vets there already, I know some, more on the way to stand between the Water Protectors and the pigs. Semper Fi my brothers and sisters.

6 hours ago, dave_boo said:

So the only segment left is under the river...and "they’re trying to put the pipeline is, you know, there’s burial grounds there".

Wow...wonder I'd they had the Viking funerals where an archer lit the canoe while it floated downstream.

5 hours ago, chilli42 said:

As an aside, the Army Corp of Engineers, who happen to own the land, have an order that prohibits the construction company from constructing near or under the river.  The bold disregard that this company holds for Native Americans and the US Government is breathtaking.   

Maybe you guys and Chris Cummings should get your facts straight...

Maybe the bimbo should get her facts straight, the pipeline is on land stolen from the Lakota and Standing Rock people. That land was theirs by treaty rights, of course the US has broken every treaty it ever made. She is typical of the wasichu that populate and continue to bad mouth Native Americans in the Dakotas. I personally don't give a damn if it is 99% complete, so what. Stop the black snake. I've been to South Dakota, Wounded Knee II Veteran. Maybe the bimbo should question why it was moved from Bismark to the res. OK, we don't want to take a chance on polluting the wasichu water but screw the Native American's. That is exactly why it was moved.

Maybe a cowboy, if he is one, should get his facts straight. And BTW, the cowboys have joined the Native Americans in the effort to stop the black snake and the Keystone. For those that don't know, the Dakotas are one of the worst racist parts of America. Do a little research, it isn't pretty.

We'll see how the Vets take to getting dogs turned loose on them, tear gassed, shot at with rubber bullets, concussion grenades, freezing water etc. When reason fails, force prevails. Survival instincts kick in. It won't be pretty.

This whole pipeline business has more to do with the democratic billionaire supporter Warren Buffet than it does with Indians, pollution or land rights.  Buffet owns the railroads that carry the oil currently, at $30 a barrel, the pipeline will do it more safely for $10 a barrel.

The protest is all BS, hyped by hysterical alt left news media, powerful politicians and filthy rich backers who funds these fake protests.  Most of the Indians....well are not native to the area or even native Americans.

I wish they'd get this sorted out.  Becoming energy independent is a big deal.  Even if it means a few need to sacrifice something. 

Some interesting facts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_Rock_Indian_Reservation

The reservation has a land area of 9,251.2 square kilometers (3,571.9 sq mi) and a population of 8,250 as of the 2000 census.[2

This pipeline is about stopping the use of railroads to transport the oil and use safer and cheaper pipelines instead.  There are huge environmental issues with railroads also.

I'm a native American Indian.  My brother works on a res.  I'd be great if they could see a way to get around their issues and move on.

Quite a ways up the river from the Bismarck-Mandan area (about 60 to 70 miles or so) is the Garrison Dam and the town of Riverdale.   Riverdale was built when the dam was being constructed and exists, in part for the maintenance of the dam.   It would seem that this would be a very good place to have the pipeline cross the river.   There is good infrastructure for the maintenance of the the pipeline and a very quick response time to any events which could affect the water.  It is a relatively narrow area to cross the river and it is easy to control water flowing out of Lake Sakakaweja and into the river.   It is far enough from the metropolitan areas that they would have adequate warning of any oil spills.   

The Garrison dam flooded much of the Fort Berthold reservation, which is a part of the very large oil field in North Dakota.   The oil fields are located in and around New Town (on the Fort Berthold Reservation and extend to Williston and into Montana.   This is where a large amount of the oil is located.

I don't know a lot about the specifics, but putting a pipeline under the Oahe Reservoir, which is a vast body of water sounds like a pretty dicey thing to do and expensive to guard and maintain.  

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I wish they'd get this sorted out.  Becoming energy independent is a big deal.  Even if it means a few need to sacrifice something. 

Some interesting facts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_Rock_Indian_Reservation

This pipeline is about stopping the use of railroads to transport the oil and use safer and cheaper pipelines instead.  There are huge environmental issues with railroads also.

I'm a native American Indian.  My brother works on a res.  I'd be great if they could see a way to get around their issues and move on.

They have an alternative route. They should use that.

16 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

Maybe the bimbo should get her facts straight, the pipeline is on land stolen from the Lakota and Standing Rock people. That land was theirs by treaty rights, of course the US has broken every treaty it ever made. She is typical of the wasichu that populate and continue to bad mouth Native Americans in the Dakotas. I personally don't give a damn if it is 99% complete, so what. Stop the black snake. I've been to South Dakota, Wounded Knee II Veteran. Maybe the bimbo should question why it was moved from Bismark to the res. OK, we don't want to take a chance on polluting the wasichu water but screw the Native American's. That is exactly why it was moved.

Maybe a cowboy, if he is one, should get his facts straight. And BTW, the cowboys have joined the Native Americans in the effort to stop the black snake and the Keystone. For those that don't know, the Dakotas are one of the worst racist parts of America. Do a little research, it isn't pretty.

We'll see how the Vets take to getting dogs turned loose on them, tear gassed, shot at with rubber bullets, concussion grenades, freezing water etc. When reason fails, force prevails. Survival instincts kick in. It won't be pretty.

Grew up raising chickens, sheep, pigs, cattle and even a horse, but I never rodeoed. Doesn't really matter because the Cowboy reflects something entirely different.  Since you're only throwing out insults like bimbo and referencing me, I'll share with you another nice video with actual facts. Not that you'll listen, but you can't say I didn't try to be more helpful for your cause.

On 12/3/2016 at 6:58 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

Maybe you guys and Chris Cummings should get your facts straight...

Well the Army Corp of Engineers has made the decision to block construction and advised the Energy Trqnsfer Partners to look for alternative routes.  The Trump admin can overrule this decision.  Mr Trump is a shareholder of Energy Transfer partners who are constructing the pipeline.

Perhaps you could enlighten the poorly informed with your deeper understanding of the facts.

Chalk up one for the people. On the other hand if they celebrate victory and break camp, I'd bet on overnight completion. Don't trust the wasichu. And especially don't trust the soon to be orange wasichu fascist in chief.

Could this have been what finally turned the corner?  I've seen estimates of those present at over 2,000 but no real confirmation, apparently still coming in.

Wayne

Edited by sgtsabai

Mr Trump is a shareholder of Energy Transfer partners who are constructing the pipeline.

Yep he owns about $50,000 worth of stock in ET and $250,000 in Phillips 66, which has a one-quarter share of Dakota Access; whereas, Warren Buffet (Berkshire Hathaway), a staunch Democrat, owns 100% of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, which currently ships the oil from North Dakota.

This fight is not about the tribe's drinking water or the cultural sites. It's purely politics and the same old fight Rockefeller and Vanderbilt had.

Perhaps you could enlighten the poorly informed with your deeper understanding of the facts.

Was that good enough (see above in my previous post)? Or do you need an Exxon Valdez type disaster with a bunch of railroad cars to get the point. Pipelines are way more environmentally friendly and cheaper to transport through, too.

We have a person that doesn't think this is about sovereign rights. Hmm perhaps you would have enjoyed the massacre at Wounded Knee I. It is about water and it is about tribal lands and artifacts and apparently somebody has no idea of what that means to the original Americans. That was their land until stolen from them by a trail of broken treaties, every one the US Gov't made with them and the original Americans.

I worked pipeline when I came back from VN. I worked around pipelines for the last 11 miserable years I spent in the states. They leak, they are old, they don't weld with the same standards as the old days, they blow up, they are dangerous and climate change is real. Trump is invested in this pipeline and the CEO of Energy Transfer Partners is an <deleted> greedy SOB that gives a damn about nothing but money.

VN Vet. Wounded Knee II Vet.

http://www.nationofchange.org/2016/12/04/veterans-arrive-standing-rock-act-human-shields-water-protectors/