Welding onto car roof?

jobin

Thought i would weld a roof rack device onto my car roof.  No rain gutters here or I'd use those to secure some clamp-ons.  Now i have considered the felt lining inside the car may catch a spark and burn the car up!  Don't want that.

Anyone done this kind of thing, or any notions on home welding on car roofs?  Don't worry about the resale value of car, it's 20 yrs old now.

I have had very limited success fixing  the felt lining inside the car.  Very difficult to work with so i'm being pretty cautious.

You would have to remove the headlining, plus there will be wiring between the it and the roof.

The roof "tin" will probably be to thin to deal with weld and forces of weight and wind.

If me I would weld 1/8inch pads to the roof rack feet and bolt it to/through the roof then put the roof lining back to cover the bolt heads..

Headliners tricky to deal with. If you remove the metal bows that hold the fabric up, be sure to mark them front to back and LH and RH side or it will never fit properly. Best to remove with the fabric in one piece, keep together, and take to the upholstery shop when roof rack is mounted. They have the experience to replace without sags. And your choice of fabric too.

54 minutes ago, transam said:

You would have to remove the headlining, plus there will be wiring between the it and the roof.

The roof "tin" will probably be to thin to deal with weld and forces of weight and wind.

If me I would weld 1/8inch pads to the roof rack feet and bolt it to/through the roof then put the roof lining back to cover the bolt heads..

Bolt-on would be the way to go. Since the roof itself is not a load-bearing structure, the headlining would need to be removed anyway to see if there's any structural ribs that can be used to bolt through. I would suspect there may be something usable at the front and rear corners and if the OP is lucky, one across the middle. Bolting through just the skin of the roof will be all a bit perilous IMHO.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Bolt-on would be the way to go. Since the roof itself is not a load-bearing structure, the headlining would need to be removed anyway to see if there's any structural ribs that can be used to bolt through. I would suspect there may be something usable at the front and rear corners and if the OP is lucky, one across the middle. Bolting through just the skin of the roof will be all a bit perilous IMHO.

Yep, corresponding pads would have to be used on the underside of the roof to 'thicken' things up..

10 minutes ago, petermik said:

Better to get a tow bar fitted and use a trailer :thumbsup:

Ummm.... no. Trailer use is fraught with arcane rules and regulations that get more arcane (and expensive) the safer you make the trailer such as installing a proper tow bar, adding trailer lights and (heaven forbid) brakes.  However, if you are just towing stuff around the block on something that is tied with baler wire onto the I-beam that has been tack-welded on the arse-end of the car, knock yourself out.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ummm.... no. Trailer use is fraught with arcane rules and regulations that get more arcane (and expensive) the safer you make the trailer such as installing a proper tow bar, adding trailer lights and (heaven forbid) brakes.  However, if you are just towing stuff around the block on something that is tied with baler wire onto the I-beam that has been tack-welded on the arse-end of the car, knock yourself out.

Also need to do something with driver licence, what that is iam not sure but Thai work colleague bought a jet-ski (on a proper trailer) and had an ARB towbar fitted to his vehicle but for him to legally tow it he had to "upgrade" his driver licence.

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Also need to do something with driver licence, what that is iam not sure but Thai work colleague bought a jet-ski (on a proper trailer) and had an ARB towbar fitted to his vehicle but for him to legally tow it he had to "upgrade" his driver licence.

Where we hail from, it's variously called a can of worms!

Otherwise there would be a decent U-haul franchise in LOS.

Remember that a weld in many cases weakens the area around it if not using substantial material/mass/metal.....Even if you were able to weld to the roof it will fail to hold a big payload + will always be subject to vibration/chafing from the air stream.....That's why most roof racks have curved leading edges....

Either use an aftermarket roof rack - or look for a different way.....The drag on a roof rack will cause a loss of mpg/kpl as a constant.....

I have 2 SUV's and use a rack like the ones in the picture....I can keep it on folded up or remove it when not needed (most of the time)....It can carry up to 750# but I've never approached that....I have had our 7 foot teak table on it & transported with no problem (can seat 12 expanded - so heavy)...I have also had 4-5 of the big plastic storage boxes on them so they can hold a lot more than any roof rack (leaving interior free for people or stuff) + has a 2" receiver at the rear & I could double up & add on the 4 bike rack if we needed but haven't so far....I have no doubt we could cart a motorcy around on the rack/carrier if needed......

Because it's behind the vehicle there's minimal wind resistance.....And it's an easy on off when needed....

The family likes to get together over the holidays & camp on the beach....The carrier ends up as a handy bench/table while we're there.....We've not received any problems going through the checkpoints while travelling with it & other than cinching the load down with ratcheting straps it's pretty easy to load without climbing all over your car.....

One of our SUV's does have a roof rack - used it once.....

IMG_20161203_150251.jpg

Edited by pgrahmm

You use a hitch haul here in Thailand \, where did you buy it ?

For the OP with a 20 year old car that he wants to weld directly to the roof the expense of fitting a tow bar most likely will be dismissed very quickly !!

Edited by Don Mega

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

You use a hitch haul here in Thailand \, where did you buy it ?

For the OP with a 20 year old car that he wants to weld directly to the roof the expense of fitting a tow bar most likely will be dismissed very quickly !!

I think Ironman has them....

Actually they'd be pretty easy to fabricate with a picture....

Just now, Don Mega said:

home made/mom and pop shop made ?

Not really what the OP is asking about.

No - I bought it here - manufactured but the place is another type of business now.....

If there is a real interest from the OP I'll see if I can help to locate....

24 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

home made/mom and pop shop made ?

Not really what the OP is asking about.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is weird - can't get out of the white box & the pic says "loading"

55555 respectfully submitted that home made seems to be exactly what the OP is asking about....

Visions pf bubbled, blistered, scorched roof paint, h2o intrusion & flex at the welds along with a 4 cornered scorched headliner screams of home made.....

Better he goes with a correct fit roof rack knowing they are very limited for capacity - or explore other options......

We don't know what type of vehicle we're working with.....

That said - this is Thailand & surprises in logic show up regularly....

^ = Your Reply

Options - trying to provide  OP options....The OP wants a carrier rack....OP also mentioned his car has no rain gutters.....Welding is  a poor option/possibility....

The picture provided is of a car w/o rain gutters & with a rack = can be done - option #1

The other idea is to think away from the roof & have a rear mounted carrier, which I use + have seen a couple of others here in LOS - option #2

The OP has a need for a carrier....

DELETED

Edited by seedy
FLAMING

15 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

No - I bought it here - manufactured but the place is another type of business now.....

If there is a real interest from the OP I'll see if I can help to locate....

I'm interested. PM me if you have details if they are still in business.

I'd never consider trying to weld on the roof. I'd drill holes through the roof and the head liner. Use flat head screws  from the inside. If it is an old car, the flat head bolts will hardly be noticeable and you don't have to worry about the rack blowing off.

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

I'd never consider trying to weld on the roof. I'd drill holes through the roof and the head liner. Use flat head screws  from the inside. If it is an old car, the flat head bolts will hardly be noticeable and you don't have to worry about the rack blowing off.

Maybe you could use suction cups and secure it with U bolts.  The bigger ones like the guys use to move sheet glass.

Another way would be to use a stud welder which would be better on the thin metal that forms the roof.  I am not sure how you would go finding a workshop with the right gear....but it would be less invasive than Mig or Tig.

weld on studs.JPG

Stud welding machine.JPG

Thnx guys.  Got an OPEL Astra, 4 door, 5 speed=great little car for me.  No engine probs, etc.  But need to transport my big bicycle, with ease and speed so no taking bike apart. Had visions of 4 small elevated welded pieces on the roof with holes.  This part would stay on car.  But also with cross members and maybe a triangular piece forming a sort of tilted frame.  When not in use remove all but the 4 welded parts. When used, bolt together frame, lift bike, in one go, onto tilted frame tie down with bungee.  Lift bike off, remove frame, toss angle irons into boot...done.

Really can't spend much money on this.  Will consider boring holes into roof and might be OK since not much rain here. The headliner is a massive nuisance regardless of what i do. Once took one off and had to glue Astroturf back in it's place.  Not too attractive.

Keep the ideas coming.  will post photos if/when complete.

1 minute ago, jobin said:

Thnx guys.  Got an OPEL Astra, 4 door, 5 speed=great little car for me.  No engine probs, etc.  But need to transport my big bicycle, with ease and speed so no taking bike apart. Had visions of 4 small elevated welded pieces on the roof with holes.  This part would stay on car.  But also with cross members and maybe a triangular piece forming a sort of tilted frame.  When not in use remove all but the 4 welded parts. When used, bolt together frame, lift bike, in one go, onto tilted frame tie down with bungee.  Lift bike off, remove frame, toss angle irons into boot...done.

Really can't spend much money on this.  Will consider boring holes into roof and might be OK since not much rain here. The headliner is a massive nuisance regardless of what i do. Once took one off and had to glue Astroturf back in it's place.  Not too attractive.

Keep the ideas coming.  will post photos if/when complete.

I'm sure there's a bike rack that will for the rear with an easy on/off for the bike....

Better than wrestling a bike into a roof....Especially in a country with no uniform overhead height requirements.....