What causes my computer to be so "jerky"?

giddyup

"Jerky" is the only way I can describe what I mean. If I'm scrolling down a page, it seems I can only do it in short pieces, not a continuous flow. Also, when I'm typing, the letters don't always appear immediately, but there's a lapse before they "catch up", and it takes forever to refresh a page, open saved bookmarks or even a new Google search. If I run a virus scan like CCleaner, everything is good again, but it doesn't take long before I have the same problem again.

Edited by giddyup

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I do have several windows (around 6 or 7) open at the same time.

Always handy with the weather being as it is :thumbsup:

p.s. to return to the topic (sorry for my cryptic remark......well not really) I sometimes have the same problem as regards typing,it seems to me that maybe my pc,s processor isn,t quite as quick as my fingers so I count to ten to for it to catch up and all then is good to go.:smile:

Edited by petermik

CC cleaner isn't really something that finds some nasty stuff. 

What operating system and how much DDR memory have you got?

Download a trial version of Kaspersky and see what it finds.

Even the trial version has all features. 

You can find it here: http://me.kaspersky.com/en/anti-virus-trial

P.S. What browser are you using? Do you have a lot of extensions? 

Edited by lostinisaan

5 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

CC cleaner isn't really something that finds some nasty stuff. 

What operating system and how much DDR memory have you got?

Download a trial version of Kaspersky and see what it finds.

Even the trial version has all features. 

You can find it here: http://me.kaspersky.com/en/anti-virus-trial

P.S. What browser are you using? Do you have a lot of extensions? 

Using Firefox, have plenty of memory, and as well as CCleaner I have Mcafee virus protection, only a couple of extensions.

Edited by giddyup

Have you tried Google? Or when running W 10 the Microsoft Edge browser?

Are you running W 10??

Can't you just disable all extensions and see if the problem's gone? 

I'm not really a friend of McAffee, only some of his movies, like this one: 

Edited by lostinisaan

Right click in the Task Bar, open Task Manager.

Click on the column at the top of "CPU" to sort from high to low.

Use Options->Always on Top to keep it on top.

Does your jerkiness coincide with peaks in CPU utilisation? If not, try Disk.

44 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Right click in the Task Bar, open Task Manager.

Click on the column at the top of "CPU" to sort from high to low.

Use Options->Always on Top to keep it on top.

Does your jerkiness coincide with peaks in CPU utilisation? If not, try Disk.

OK thanks, will try and narrow it down.

Had the same sort of problem twice, both time was the Graphics card...  1x Brand new... it was not something cheap back then GeForce 9600 GT graphics card...  of course the PC would not run without a graphics card so had to buy another while the brand new one [just houst old] was sent back to be checked so bought a cheaper version the 6800 GT.. 

Yes the 9600 GT was faulty and was replaced Free. [managed to sell it as brand new] within a year same problem with the 6800 GT...  never had GeForce before or after, never had problems with Radeon Cards

Maybe was my PC at the time ? had lots but always from day 1 so many years ago they were all AMD with the Radeon Graphics cards. 

But 1st try other things like suggested above, check all the cables are connecting correct, the card is seated correct, and clean, take out and use a rubber and a fine brush on the M/B....  or if you know a PC shop they will check it for you.. test everything on another PC to be sure.. if like me, you never have a on-board graphics on the M/B, if it is the Graphics card then you must wait [mine took 4 weeks] for your graphics cards to be sent back tested and replaced.

I'd ditch the McAfee for starters. Windows 10 has a lot of things going on in the background you can disable which will free some memory. If it's a computer you bought in Thailand you probably have a pirated version of windows on it which could have some malware, worth looking into.

Edited by Rob13

40 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

I'd ditch the McAfee for starters. Windows 10 has a lot of things going on in the background you can disable which will free some memory. If it's a computer you bought in Thailand you probably have a pirated version of windows on it which could have some malware, worth looking into.

No, it's a genuine Windows 10. I am now using Microsoft Edge without having the prior problems.

1 hour ago, jmd8800 said:

The computer is 1 month old and you are asking here how to fix it? Is there no recourse from where you purchased the computer. I'd be taking it back pronto. 

Because there is nothing wrong with the computer. If you'd bothered to read the posts you'd know that it was Firefox causing problems, and that I'm now using Microsoft Edge   and no longer have the problem.