First the pier - now soldiers intend to clear up Beach Road in Pattaya

rooster59

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They could always try the Saudi solution. When Riyadh first installed traffic lights no one stopped, so the cops threw stones at cars that didn't. Seemed to work. Everyone stops at red lights now.

What's that joke about bringing stones to a gun fight?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be equally commendable if they turn the pedestrian crossing lights back on and make the vehicles stop to let pedestrians cross.

Beat me to it aaaand just imagine if they mounted speed cameras for the outer lanes and made the limit 40kph in that area up to second rd.. Now that really is dreaming.. Or is it?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The baht busses are the best thing about Pattaya as opposed to other tourist areas, I hope they don't screw that up. I see no reason to rent a motor bike there.  Good luck to them as tourism is dropping like a bomb right now. Cleaning the trash off the beaches daily would be an improvement that all would notice. No umbrella's and no venders = no me.

9 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

The blue rental bike idea is for better identification to rip off "rich" tourists for traffic violence (speeding, crossing road lines etc.) that never happened,- is it? 

Ummm.... no. Pretty much any cop on a shakedown can tell a farang rider from a local one without the aide memoire of bike color.

The blue bike will make it easier for City to check if swathes of kerbside motorbike parking is being taken up by rental bikes (which we all know they are) versus legit patrons and workers bike parking. It's going to be fairly unworkable though since every second bar probably has at least a couple of bikes they rent out to regular customers.

39 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Traffic have always stopped for the Pedestrian Crossing at City Hall.

A little off topic, but some places I've lived, the zebra stripes just mean you're allowed to cross there, but they don't give you right of way- red/green lights do that (Texas), some places they mean all cars have to stop for anyone in the crosswalk (California).  In other places (China), they're just a waste of paint.  I'm surprised anyone would expect all drivers from around the world to treat them like "back home".  That could mean almost anything.

What makes me laugh is the vast majority on here! No matter what thai Authority tries to do they will never win snide comments ridiculous comments and then with no credible proof someone throws in bhat bus up to 20 bht. Hopefully next army move line a few of you up and ??.Awaiting the normal comments from the pack.

What makes me laugh is the vast majority on here! No matter what thai Authority tries to do they will never win snide comments ridiculous comments and then with no credible proof someone throws in bhat bus up to 20 bht. Hopefully next army move line a few of you up and [emoji95][emoji95].Awaiting the normal comments from the pack.

Wrong post

17 minutes ago, smedly said:

and ?

If rental bikes were identified solely by the plate color as a means to identify and control the numbers parked kerbside, the plates can easily be swapped between rental and non-rental machines. A row of bikes with white plates would look like they are all privately owned whereas half (or all) of them could be up for rent, tying up parking space. Punter walks up and hires a bike and the plates are swapped for different colored ones before he rides away. It's not about traffic law enforcement here its about enforcing a  city ordnance on kerb side parking spaces.

With the military doing the job of the police, pretty much nation wide, why do we still need the police?  This might be a very opportune time to disband the entire police force, DSI included, and start over from scratch, making sure that none of the old corrupt criminals are allowed back in.

Edited by WhizBang

6 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

With the military doing the job of the police, pretty much nation wide, why do we still need the police?  This might be a very opportune time to disband the entire police force, DSI included, and start over from scratch, making sure that none of the old corrupt criminals are allowed back in.

Did you think before posting this?

Do you want the military to remain in control for ever?

16 hours ago, mcfish said:

Aaaand the Baht buses will be forced into a special lane instead of the empty ones hitting 80kph across all 3 lanes. It's deadly on beach road... This is like a dream

If they build bumpers every few hundred meters this would quickly come to an end. Unfortunately they won't as too many drunk cyclists at night would probably lose their lives from that moment on

4 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Ban motorbike rentals to tourists...just as they do in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Makes it a much safer place.

REP is a tiny town and cannot be compared with PTY. Plus, in REP you can still rent e-bikes as a foreigner which is not such a big difference as they become part of the traffic too

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

If they build bumpers every few hundred meters this would quickly come to an end. Unfortunately they won't as too many drunk cyclists at night would probably lose their lives from that moment on

This has been tried a few years ago with the exact same outcome. 

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Ummm.... no. Pretty much any cop on a shakedown can tell a farang rider from a local one without the aide memoire of bike color.

Or if not on a "shakedown." A tourist on a bike is SO easy to spot. Lot of similarities in dress: small bike or obviously a rented sports bike, T-shirt, cheap helmet, shorts (khaki shorts esp popular), sandals or canvas sneakers. No jacket, no gloves. Saw one get stopped today while as usual I sailed on thru, wearing light motorbike gear, on a bigger bike. Fact, they never stop me except when I ride into a trap, like makin' a U-turn where it's suddenly illegal to do so. :)

2 hours ago, siam2007 said:

REP is a tiny town and cannot be compared with PTY. Plus, in REP you can still rent e-bikes as a foreigner which is not such a big difference as they become part of the traffic too

Renting out e-bikes is a great idea.  No license required, everyone remembers how to ride a bike, and speeds are limited to around 20 MPH, which is faster than most city traffic moves anyway.  No 50 MPH riders wrapped around a pole.  No fumes.  No exhaust noise.

And if renters don't pay real close attention, they may accidentally get some exercise on their holiday.  I often catch myself using the pedals on my e-bikes in BKK.  Battery good for at least 10-20 miles between charges.  May not work in the mountains, but that's not Pattaya.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, impulse said:

A little off topic, but some places I've lived, the zebra stripes just mean you're allowed to cross there, but they don't give you right of way- red/green lights do that (Texas), some places they mean all cars have to stop for anyone in the crosswalk (California).  In other places (China), they're just a waste of paint.  I'm surprised anyone would expect all drivers from around the world to treat them like "back home".  That could mean almost anything.

Umm. We're not talking about zebra stripe crosswalks or any other painted crosswalks--we all know they are ignored. We're talking about Walk/Don't Walk signal lights--which are also largely ignored by drivers, even the one right in front of the Pattaya Beach Road police station next to Central Festival. And, even when there is a cop standing on the sidewalk.  Although, when I used it the other day the drivers did appear to slow down ever so slightly...

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Umm. We're not talking about zebra stripe crosswalks or any other painted crosswalks--we all know they are ignored. We're talking about Walk/Don't Walk signal lights--which are also largely ignored by drivers, even the one right in front of the Pattaya Beach Road police station next to Central Festival. And, even when there is a cop standing on the sidewalk.  Although, when I used it the other day the drivers did appear to slow down ever so slightly...

My bad.