AIS : URGENT! Passport photo not clear

12DrinkMore

I have just this hour received an SMS from AIS

"URGENT! Your passport photo is not clear or incomplete per NBTC's regulation".

I have five days to mosey on down to AIS and re-register. As a bonus for being a good boy they will give me a "bonus free call" whatever that may be.

Should I go, or should I stay at home?

At the moment there is only the carrot, maybe if they threaten me with a stick I'll get down there.

So what do they expect? It's not like you can give them a new passport with a different photo in it. 

I would ask them what the repercussions are if I don't go and base my decision on that. 

Edited by A1Str8

They sent me the same message a week ago. I went into Dtac and  I casually  explained that they never had my passport photo in the first place as I got the sim 7 years ago when nothing was needed exept a smile. OK they said no problem showed them my ID card took a copy said thank you and gave me 50 bht credit.

When I registered my SIM at an AIS service center they took a picture of my passport main page with a smartphone.

There was obviously a special APP running which (among others) automatically read the passport nr. (OCR).

So I guess that the photo was also captured and stored somehow.

To the OP: when and where was your SIM registered?

4 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

So what do they expect? It's not like you can give them a new passport with a different photo in it. 

I would ask them what the repercussions are if I don't go and base my decision on that. 

You will probably loose your phone number, because you do not follow the rules they want you to follow. Never mind if they have the info already, they need to complete it in some way. That´s my fair guess.

I got the same message and I registered properly with my passport photo years ago when they threaten to discontinue the phone number.  They gave me until 10 December to do it.  I suspect they lost the original info. I guess that I'll go again with the same passport photo and re-register, a 140 kilometer round trip drive.  It would really be a problem if they cut off my phone as everything is connected to that number.

I just called AIS call center, 1175.  I told them I got the message and everybody that I knew also got the message and asked if I had to re-register.  He said that he checked my number and everything is in order and I do not have to re-register.  He said that the SMS that I received must have been a mistake!

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

When I registered my SIM at an AIS service center they took a picture of my passport main page with a smartphone.

There was obviously a special APP running which (among others) automatically read the passport nr. (OCR).

I have had the same SIM for about 11 years.

This will be the third time I have had to go and re-register it.

5 hours ago, wayned said:

I got the same message and I registered properly with my passport photo years ago when they threaten to discontinue the phone number.  They gave me until 10 December to do it.  I suspect they lost the original info. I guess that I'll go again with the same passport photo and re-register, a 140 kilometer round trip drive.  It would really be a problem if they cut off my phone as everything is connected to that number.

The 10th is going to be a busy day at AIS. It is my deadline as well, an irritating 30 kms trip.

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Same for me.

AS I said in post $9, I called their call center, 1175, and talked to an agent.  He confirmed that all of the data in their computer was correct and told me that I didn't have to go with my passport to AIS.  He wouldn't comment as to why everyone is getting the "passport photo unclear" message but it is unusual in that the message is in English and all of the others are in Thai.  Since the original message a couple of years ago was in Thai I suspect that many didn't register and they didn't follow through with their treat to cut the number off and now they are trying to cover their ass!

14 hours ago, wayned said:

AS I said in post $9, I called their call center, 1175, and talked to an agent.  He confirmed that all of the data in their computer was correct and told me that I didn't have to go with my passport to AIS.  He wouldn't comment as to why everyone is getting the "passport photo unclear" message but it is unusual in that the message is in English and all of the others are in Thai.  Since the original message a couple of years ago was in Thai I suspect that many didn't register and they didn't follow through with their treat to cut the number off and now they are trying to cover their ass!

I went through the loop at that time as well.

Did they not cut off all the numbers that had not registered?

Typical to Thailand these 'initiatives' start off with a load of hullaballoo and then we hear nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in to the AIS shop some time ago to complete with the information they asked, but the only thing here too was that they checked the information according to my passport, asked if the address registered was right. Never copy any new picture of the passport to the system. Just a strange message, but maybe it has to do with that some numbers are still not registered.

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

in the highly competitive mobile phone market cutting customers off would be self defeating.

They may not have a choice if the Junta is pressuring them?

Many SIM registrations were made with the NBTC-issued "2-Shot" mobile phone app, where the seller snapped a picture of the registrant's ID card/passport and the SIM packaging details. Based on the device, camera and photographic techniques of the 7/11 clerk, it's easy to imagine not every photo was perfect. Add in that many SIMs were registered in the south with the pictures of people's feet, and an increasingly paranoid "government", one can see why service providers would want to err on the side of the regime. Especially 'foreign' firms like AIS and DTAC.

Edited by mtls2005

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

They may not have a choice if the Junta is pressuring them?

Many SIM registrations were made with the NBTC-issued "2-Shot" mobile phone app, where the seller snapped a picture of the registrant's ID card/passport and the SIM packaging details. Based on the device, camera and photographic techniques of the 7/11 clerk, it's easy to imagine not every photo was perfect. Add in that many SIMs were registered in the south with the pictures of people's feet, and an increasingly paranoid "government", one can see why service providers would want to err on the side of the regime. Especially 'foreign' firms like AIS and DTAC.

I too have just received this odd sms, I very much doubt all of us have been at the mercy of 'dodgy snaps'. I've just tried the 1175 number as they've given me until the 25th to re register, rang and rang until I had to enter my number on a recording and was told I would be contacted 'within the hour'. Bearing in mind the poster being told it was a 'mistake', together with this having started two weeks ago, during which time surely this 'mistake' could have been rectified, what on earth is going on? And why such a small window, particularly at this time of the year. Bloody country :saai:

AIS eventually called me. 'Why must I register again?' 'Government want you to' 'Why?' 'I don't know' So 'photo not clear' is typically Thai bs. 'You've only given me 5 days to take the time out of my schedule and go re register this thing' 'It's not just you, it's many people. You can do it whenever you want' 'And I won't be cut off?' 'No'  :blink: 'So how long's a piece of string' 'Arai nah?' :laugh:  

Timing could be a coincidence :neus:

• 11 months later...

Here we go again.

For the last couple of days I have had SMS messages and now a recorded voice from AIS telling my to get my ar5e to AIS and give them a new photo. In return they will give me a bonus call.

As in the past, I will take my cue from the BIB's and sit at my inactive post.

Having my name registered to my prepaid sim actually worked in my favor when my phone was stolen and I sought a replacement sim. Firstly, I had to make a police report, then the sim was replaced, including the credit.

AIS have again been calling asking to register my identity. Maybe it's an annual thing, who knows, who cares - the whole registration process is painless.

Edited by somchaismith

On 11/24/2017 at 1:09 PM, 12DrinkMore said:

Here we go again.

For the last couple of days I have had SMS messages and now a recorded voice from AIS telling my to get my ar5e to AIS and give them a new photo. In return they will give me a bonus call.

As in the past, I will take my cue from the BIB's and sit at my inactive post.

The law becomes active I believe in early December so you will most likely no longer have service without proper ID on file.

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The law becomes active I believe in early December so you will most likely no longer have service without proper ID on file.

If that is the case then AIS should threaten me with the stick and not offer the carrot of a free phone call.

I would then feel the urge to mosey on down. It is also difficult to see how any such law could be enforced. Is AIS going to open its database and allow the BiBs to comb through the millions of accounts?

We'll see what happens.

I find it hard to believe that AIS will cut off what must be a large number of subscribers. 

BANGKOK: Face-scans or fingerprints will be needed to buy SIM cards in Thailand from next month as the kingdom tries to crack down on electronic fraud and encourage mobile banking.

The new biometric system - which follows similar requirements in Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan - will begin on Dec 15, according to the telecoms regulator.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/thailand-to-require-fingerprints--face-scans-for-sim-cards--9383334