Retiring to Thailand - How to retain address in country I'm a citizen of?

JimmyJ

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have kept my US Ca residence an drivers license & Bank accounts , first thru friends address, now my daughters.

ONLY little glitch i had is, i was called up for jury duty in Ca. All i had to do was send them an email

Please respond to this email with the status of where you are working, how long you will be expected to be outside the U.S. and please include the statement:

“I certify under penalty of perjury that the above is true and correct”

Its great to keep my us address and drivers license., never know what the future holds

1 minute ago, phuketrichard said:

i have kept my US Ca residence an drivers license & Bank accounts , first thru friends address, now my daughters.

ONLY little glitch i had is, i was called up for jury duty in Ca. All i had to do was send them an email

Please respond to this email with the status of where you are working, how long you will be expected to be outside the U.S. and please include the statement:

“I certify under penalty of perjury that the above is true and correct”

Its great to keep my us address and drivers license., never know what the future holds

CA is THE most aggressive state in coming after leavers for income tax.  Using a CA address for bank accounts means that the bank will send a 1099 to the CA state taxing authority who may want to know why you are not filing state tax returns. 

I was using both a friends address and a UPS Store PMB. Unfortunately, friends die so it was a good idea I had both. No problems with my PMB with CC companies/bank. When I renewed my Wa State DL a few months ago, I had to list my parents address as the PMB was not allowed.

Edited by Shot

48 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I think a problem in the UK would be that a lot of companies, agencies or whatever, automatically check addresses against the Electoral Register by way of a Credit Reference Agency. 

Also note that UK companies trading as registered mail forwarders are required by law to have your foreign physical residence address on file and require proof of such.

Edited by NanLaew

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

UK companies trading as registered mail forwarders are required by law to have your foreign physical residence address on file and require proof of such.

Registered mail forwarders have the same requirement in the US of knowing their customer's physical address, although it doesn't have to a foreign address it does have to be the address at which the customer actually lives.

35 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

I thought that you are still in the States and still have a genuine residential address.  Is that not the case? 

The OP is getting blowback from living 'below the radar' domestically for several years. It's harder to hide overseas when you have been hiding in your homeland first.

42 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Unfortunately it's too late, due to the reason I've stated.

CC companies are suddenly recognizing it as a commercial address and want a residential address.

I applied to 2 - one of them wants a utility bill with a residential address, so a friend's address won't work - at least for that company.

Also if I give the other cc company a friend's address and they accept it - every other place has my mail drop address and I'm afraid I'd have to change the address to my friend for all of them - when making the address change if some  companies I now do business with want utility bills also, everything could collapse so I'm sticking with my existing mail address for now.

Incidentally, I have great credit so was shocked when I encountered these recent problems.

Normally no problems getting new credit cards, etc.

Credit is simply a rating that depends on different things one of which is having a bona fide residential address. Good credit can evaporate overnight if the credit agencies report that the address used to build that credit does not qualify as such.

That's a tough one.

Earthclass Mail is IMO the best. They have residential addresses, very expensive service.

You can split your address per bank to have a permanent and a mailing address. You do not need to receive mail at the permanent address, just list it for banks' "get to know your customer" law. You can then have a separate address for mailing, and this can be a POBOX or anything--so long as you list the permanent one. If a friend helps out tell them they won't be receiving mail (what I do).

If financial institutions are the companies you're talking about, then switch to banks that are internet-based, with no foreign transaction fees: CapitalOne 360, EverBank come to mind as the best.

Brick and mortar banks are problematic, especially conservative ones like SunTrust.

Whenever you log in to your financial accounts online, or any account with any company, use a VPN which offers your state of residence as a nexus point: Private Internet Access is excellent. It offers login options from many state in the US. Don't log in without a VPN.

Lastly, look at room shares in the US. Target landlords specifically renting rooms in their houses. Tell them you would like to rent a room but wouldn't mind if they sublet it. Cost will be minimal to you, and they'll be able to double dip. Win win. You'll have a legal lease and address--for the drivers license.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Credit is simply a rating that depends on different things one of which is having a bona fide residential address. Good credit can evaporate overnight if the credit agencies report that the address used to build that credit does not qualify as such.

That's interesting.  My banks, including those that have issued CCs to me, haven't known my residential address for at least five years.  Yet, the last time I checked my credit score was still over 800. 

Only the Social Security Administration knows our BKK address.  All the other entities, including the IRS, are content with our PMB so far.

During my 3 years as a retiree in Bangkok, I had a close friend scan my mail for me when she received something she thought was important. Before I left for Bangkok, I went to my local post office in California and filled out a change of address to her so she could receive all my mail. Later on she just took a photo of the mail from her phone and simply used the LINE app to send it to me. So easy. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the commercial mail forwarding is very convenient, but not cheap. 

I am a US citizen and reside here in LOS.  I've been here for four years now.  I use a mail service in Seattle (Wanderer's Mail Service on Pike Place in Seattle - they have a web site)  as my address and I use a friend's address in a nearby city for my Washington State driver's license.  Even the Drivers license people accept a different mailing address from my residence address)  The credit cards and my bank all have my Seattle address.  I take no statements by mail and choose instead to have everything emailed.  When a new credit card is issued it is sent to the mail service and they forward it to me.  I also have a bi-monthly mailing done from Seattle to  LOS to get anything that happens to arrive in the mail for me.

This particular mail service has been in business since the days of the Gold Rush in Alaska and they are reputable, efficient, easy to communicate with and VERY customer friendly.  You don't have to have any type of permanent address in Washington State to use them.

I had an inquiry from a card issuer (AMEX) who wanted a residence address when they found that my mailing address was "a business."  I gave them my driver's license address to fulfill their requirement for a "permanent address to which they will not send mail,  and used my Seattle mail service address as my mailing address for anything they need to send to me that cannot be done via email.... new cards for example.  This works out quite well.  When this happened I learned that almost every institution will allow a mailing address that differs from a residence address just so long as they have both on file in their institution.

I NEVER tell my LOS banks about my USA address.  They have no need to know.

I have a Thai drivers license and I own a condo here.  Everything works out quite well. If you want more information, please feel free to sed me a message here on the forum site.

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Do you begin using  your expat Thai address that you have moved to for all of your native country bank accounts, credit cards, drivers license (don't know if this is possible), etc.?

Don't know what effect that would have on my currently top tier credit with my USA credit cards, etc.

i have used same service for years,, recently some companies have caught on and demanded an actual residence address although i am able  to keep original as mailing address,, usa drivers license has not been affected as of yet

i use my ex wife address as my actual address as all mail still goes to box, other friends with same situation are using their accountants address,, but any address of family or friend will work as mailing address will still be to your box

you can use skype and get a phone number with any area in he usa and have it ring on your thai phone

hope this helps

1 minute ago, cheechee said:

There are some Mail Box places that give you an address that looks like the real thing. Instead of a PO Box they'll use an Apt. No.

I don't do it but have friends who do.

Yes, but if you're using a Mail Box place, that is, a business that is allowed by the US Post Office to accept mail for other people (which is the only way of legally doing it), then that business is operating as a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency and they will demand to know your actual physical address and they will file paperwork with the USPO that identifies your address as a business address.  There's no way around this that I know of, which is why it's best to use a friend's or relative's physical address.

I take your point that some addresses look like business addresses while some look like residential addresses.  My point is that a business that cares enough to find out can get the information from the US Post Office that will tell them definitely whether it is a residential or business address.  If it's a mailing service, it will be identified as a business address regardless of what it looks like.

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

this is what i do but after 17 years out of your home country, friends can become a little less friendly to help you i think.

The only thing l would say to OP  is get a Thai driving licence and when he receives his 5 year one he can use it in US,  dunno about US address stuff.

Seems the US is strict on stuff the UK l have found is not a problem.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Glad you mentioned this - I thought one eventual solution would be to just use whatever Thai address I end up actually living at for banks/credit cards/etc., but was wondering how financial institutions would react.

Crossy as said had a problem with poxy Barclays and that l'm not a bit surprised at.

Not know or sure about what other banks do in UK but Nationwide has my Thai address and also First direct who are a branch thingy of HSBC because l have no UK address.

I don't use Nationwide now only First Direct and have a Debit card & a Credit card and do everything online, if l need to ring them about anything they will ring me back. 

4 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

FYI, in most states, your Thai drivers license is good for at least a 30-day visit, also OK for rentals.  Take a look at your local DMV www site, also AAA for your area.  Alternatively, get a Thai IDP,  International Driving Permit, this, too, will work.

FYI, my Oregon license will expire in June.  I'm a bit leery of renewing it as given the paperwork restrictions in place now, post 9/11, I need to lie a bit that I'm still an Oregon resident, which according to IRS and Social Security, I'm not, my mail from these two entities comes directly to Thailand.

Mac

Where do you get an IDP in Thailand?

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

You absolutely DO NOT want to tell any financial institution in the US that you do not reside in the country.  Nothing good can come from doing so and plenty of bad. 

Will follow this advice.

Curious about the following - you guys are undoubtedly using your cc's that were issued in the USA or whatever country you're a citizen of.

Charges are put on the card weekly from Thailand, over the year and over many years.

Apparently this never signals to the cc company/financial institution that you do not reside in the country the cc has you listed as living in (and that you are residing in Thailand)?

Edited by JimmyJ

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Will follow this advice.

Curious about the following - you guys are undoubtedly using your cc's that were issued in the USA or whatever country you're a citizen of.

Charges are put on the card weekly from Thailand, over the year and over many years.

Apparently this never signals to the cc company that you do not reside in the country the cc has you listed as living in?

Interesting question.  I don't have US credit cards.  I do have US debit cards and they do have charges from Thailand on them, but not very many (certainly not weekly).  I tend to use my US debit cards mostly online, which could be done from anywhere in the world.  I've not had any problem to date.  Whenever I travel outside Thailand I call to inform my debit card issuing banks where I will be so I don't have the card suspended as part of some fraud detection program.  I always include Thailand as one of the places where I will be "visiting" ;-)

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The only thing l would say to OP  is get a Thai driving licence and when he receives his 5 year one he can use it in US,  dunno about US address stuff.

Seems the US is strict on stuff the UK l have found is not a problem.

Crossy as said had a problem with poxy Barclays and that l'm not a bit surprised at.

Not know or sure about what other banks do in UK but Nationwide has my Thai address and also First direct who are a branch thingy of HSBC because l have no UK address.

I don't use Nationwide now only First Direct and have a Debit card & a Credit card and do everything online, if l need to ring them about anything they will ring me back. 

This is changing very quickly.

Nationwide International are closing shop.

If you do not tell the DVLC that your address has changed (even temporarily) they can hit you for 1,000 Quid fine. Similarly you are required to exchange your UK license for a foreign licence if you move to another country.

To renew a UK license if you do not have residence in the UK you have to lie on the application. That will come back to bite, they can access your NHS and passport records online instantaneously, I have just gone through the process but held off pulling the trigger.

There are more than a few guys collecting the UK pension in Thailand but not telling the UK government about the change of address. This will be stopped as some point.

I do not expect it to be possible to lie about where you are physically living within the next decade. There will be an international inter-government agreement to pass all the immigration data around. Your rights to privacy will be eroded. 

I have used a mail forwarding service in the US.  Have done so for years.  Never had the issue you mention. You can also get a SD drivers licence.  Their customers seem to mainly be retirees who live the RV life.  They will screen your mail for "junk" and forward what's left (mail and packages) where ever and when ever you like.  It has been OK for opening bank accounts and brokerage accounts etc.  Can search it up on Google, it's called "Americas Mailbox".  There is an annual fee (depends on the "package" you select) shipping costs are charged to your account.  Five star rating :)

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As long as it's a 5 year one.

Are you sure?

Assuming it still takes three years before the Thais issue a five year licence, that would mean, for example, that the Brits, if they comply with the UK law, would not be able to obtain an IDP for three years.

9 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

I have used a mail forwarding service in the US.  Have done so for years.  Never had the issue you mention. You can also get a SD drivers licence.  Their customers seem to mainly be retirees who live the RV life.  They will screen your mail for "junk" and forward what's left (mail and packages) where ever and when ever you like.  It has been OK for opening bank accounts and brokerage accounts etc.  Can search it up on Google, it's called "Americas Mailbox".  There is an annual fee (depends on the "package" you select) shipping costs are charged to your account.  Five star rating :)

"I have used a mail forwarding service in the US.  Have done so for years.  Never had the issue you mention."

All went well for about 19.5 years out of 20 of using a mail drop.

10 years with current mail drop, problem only began recently.

Current drop is part of a chain, perhaps an independent store hasn't made the database yet.

" You can also get a SD drivers licence."

What is that?

EDIT - Just went to the site mentioned, see that it means South Dakota.

Edited by JimmyJ