First time going to Thailand

My husband and I are going but we're getting information from my BIL who went 3 times a few years back... things may have changed and you're probably more knowledgeable.

I want to buy a one way ticket and a ticket to a European country for after the 90 days is up. He wants to buy a round trip ticket as he does not want to travel to the country I wish to visit friends in.

We have received our passports in the mail. If we can sell all our things fast enough, we should be out of here in a month. I will not be returning for as long as possible. I figured a 90 day tourist visa should work, but I want your advice.  

What do each of us need to do and in what order?  Neither of us have left the country before and it's a bit confusing and cumbersome. It's like they want us to stay in this strange country called the USA forever -.-

Link us to posts with similar questions if you wish :)

If you have a tourist visa a return or onward ticket is not required to board your flight or enter the country. But some embassies and consulates want a ticket out of the country to issue the tourist visa.

If you are applying in the states one of the honorary consulates would be a good choice to get your visa in person. List of them is here: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

You apply by mail or in person at the embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in New Your, Chicago or Los Angles.

The embassy's requirements for a single entry tourist are here: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

1 hour ago, simplespiveys said:

I want to buy a one way ticket and a ticket to a European country for after the 90 days is up.

Clarifying on the 90-days part:

If you arrive without obtaining a visa first, you will only receive 30 days "permission of stay" at the airport, which can be extended for another 30 at a local immigration office, after which you would need to leave Thailand and return to obtain a new "permission of stay" to remain longer.

If you obtain a single-entry Tourist Visa at a Thai consulate (which UJ listed), you will get 60-days "permission of stay" upon entry, which you can extend for 30 more days at a local immigration office.

I add this because so many countries give US Citizens 90-days on entry without needing a visa beforehand, and given the wording of your question, you might have thought Thailand offered this as well.

• 1 month later...