UK NHS pension into a Thai FX account?

I assume that you are asking whether an NHS occupational pension can be paid directly into a GBP account with a Thai bank?

If so, then the answer, based on my experience with my Civil Service occupational pension several years ago is likely to be "No". I was informed that, while my pension could be paid into a THB savings account here or into my UK account, it was not possible for this to be paid into the GBP FCD account I then held with Bangkok Bank.

22 hours ago, OJAS said:

I assume that you are asking whether an NHS occupational pension can be paid directly into a GBP account with a Thai bank?

If so, then the answer, based on my experience with my Civil Service occupational pension several years ago is likely to be "No". I was informed that, while my pension could be paid into a THB savings account here or into my UK account, it was not possible for this to be paid into the GBP FCD account I then held with Bangkok Bank.

right I thought as much - thank you

did you opt for THB savings account?  I ask as I have inordinate hassles with Nat West (as i don't have a residential address in UK) and they wont send any cards here etc.

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

right I thought as much - thank you

did you opt for THB savings account?  I ask as I have inordinate hassles with Nat West (as i don't have a residential address in UK) and they wont send any cards here etc.

I now get my pension income (occupational + State) paid into my UK account (with which I have, fortunately to date, been spared the various hassles you have encountered with Nat West), and then make periodic transfers to my THB account with Bangkok Bank via their London branch. I did get my occupational pension paid into a previous THB account for a time several years ago, but at net exchange rates which turned out to be far from favourable.

Edited by OJAS

I think you can, if you have a bangkok bank sterling account in Thailand

The sender will only see the UK sort code and account no

This is what Bangkok bank in London told me, and now i use this

Yes, you can send, but you need to drop the '826' at the beginning of the number.  When we see 16 digits starting with '101' we know it's the sterling accounts in Thailand and we add the '826' at the beginning.

You need to send like this:

FUNDS TRANSFER IN GBP TO FCD ACCOUNT.

We remit the funds in GBP, but for this we charge GBP20.00 and there will be an additional charge in Thailand of up to THB500.   

You will need to give your bank the following details:

Sort Code:                   60 93 98 

Account Number:        92 00 20 00 

Credit/transfer to/payee:   [First name & last name of the person receiving the funds in Thailand.  DO NOT PUT BANGKOK BANK]      i.e. Recipients name

Reference:              [The Bangkok Bank account number in Thailand]       i.e.  101*********001

Are you in the UK, if so, call us or send us an email and we can see if the funds are here and if they are  in order.  If it's not correctly formatted we will return and you have to start again.  We can tell you what's wrong if that happens.

Takes about 2 hours to get to us.

19 hours ago, al007 said:

Yes, you can send, but you need to drop the '826' at the beginning of the number.  When we see 16 digits starting with '101' we know it's the sterling accounts in Thailand and we add the '826' at the beginning.

We remit the funds in GBP, but for this we charge GBP20.00 and there will be an additional charge in Thailand of up to THB500.   

Credit/transfer to/payee:   [First name & last name of the person receiving the funds in Thailand.  DO NOT PUT BANGKOK BANK]      i.e. Recipients name

Reference:              [The Bangkok Bank account number in Thailand]       i.e.  101*********001

Are you in the UK, if so, call us or send us an email and we can see if the funds are here and if they are  in order.  If it's not correctly formatted we will return and you have to start again.  We can tell you what's wrong if that happens.

This will depend on whether his occupational pension provider is willing to make direct payments to a GBP account here in Thailand; mine wasn't.

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

This will depend on whether his occupational pension provider is willing to make direct payments to a GBP account here in Thailand; mine wasn't.

yes I don't know yet... I have an NHS pension coming into effect in a year and have an GBP account with bangkok bank. Nat West have done their darndest to annoy me after 35 years with them and my cards have all run out and they won't send new (a different problem I know)

This is why i dont want the funds paid into my UK account as the card has run out and I cant get the OUT!  I do transfer on-line as they did send me a new card reader but I feel this is no guarantee for the future 

I asked about having my NHS pension paid direct into a Thai bank account and was told it was not possible and had to be paid into a UK account only.

Slightly off-topic do you realise that an NHS pension will reduce the amount you receive in your State Pension?  I was flabbergasted to find that my state pension will be reduced due to my NHS pension.

But don't get me started as i will rant forever!!!!

For renewal of cards etc I have a postal address in the UK - maybe you could have a trusted friend to receive mail for you?

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

INCORRECT, his pension provider only pay to UK bank in London, UK sort code uk account number, name on account will be his as well, it is the reference that means BBl in london manually onward transmit it

Edited by al007

4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

yes I don't know yet... I have an NHS pension coming into effect in a year and have an GBP account with bangkok bank. Nat West have done their darndest to annoy me after 35 years with them and my cards have all run out and they won't send new (a different problem I know)

This is why i dont want the funds paid into my UK account as the card has run out and I cant get the OUT!  I do transfer on-line as they did send me a new card reader but I feel this is no guarantee for the future 

Trying to help Nat West and Royal bank of scotland all part of the Same

If your Nat west card reader same as my RBS one you need a current card to use with the card reader, so if your card runs out your card reader will also stop

Next time you want to send money here from Natwest send it as I show in earlier post to BBL in london

You can do this transfer online as a uk payment, and instantaneous into london, add 2 more days to get here, but normally next day

it will then wind up in your BBL thailand sterling account

So NHS would do the same, BUT the reference is very important, if you need my telephone number PM me, I will willing help more

bangkok bank have a deposit facility in the UK just like they do in the US with a UK sort code, account number, etc...see their website...

simply instruct the UK pension folks to deposit into that account like you would do for any account and it should show up in yer thai BKK bank baht account in Thailand in the usual time...similar to what US folks use for their social security payments in the US...USD to thb at the going rate

I haven't done this and I have a private company UK pension that I keep in the UK to service credit card obligations and etc...nice to have some sterling available and etc...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

22 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I asked about having my NHS pension paid direct into a Thai bank account and was told it was not possible and had to be paid into a UK account only.

Slightly off-topic do you realise that an NHS pension will reduce the amount you receive in your State Pension?  I was flabbergasted to find that my state pension will be reduced due to my NHS pension.

For renewal of cards etc I have a postal address in the UK - maybe you could have a trusted friend to receive mail for you?

can't do that as they insist on a utility bill in my name

22 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

reduced???  why?  and by how much?  that's outrageous almost as bad as the age pension not increasing as we don't live in UK!  we paid IN what's the deal?

On 8/12/2559 at 2:21 PM, al007 said:

The above is correct, I arranged it for a friend's occupational pension - the company payroll only react to the sort code and account number (reference no is VITAL).

20 hours ago, al007 said:

INCORRECT, his pension provider only pay to UK bank in London, UK sort code uk account number, name on account will be his as well, it is the reference that means BBl in london manually onward transmit it

Just because the facility may exist for pension payments to be credited to GBP bank accounts in Thailand doesn't automatically mean that his pension provider will be happy to proceed on this basis! As I have made clear, my occupational pension provider, for one, was not at all happy to do this!!

Or, having gazed into your crystal ball, are you able to predict with supreme confidence that his NHS pension provider will be so willing?? 

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Just because the facility may exist for pension payments to be credited to GBP bank accounts in Thailand doesn't automatically mean that his pension provider will be happy to proceed on this basis! As I have made clear, my occupational pension provider, for one, was not at all happy to do this!!

Or, having gazed into your crystal ball, are you able to predict with supreme confidence that his NHS pension provider will be so willing?? 

The pension payer will only see the UK Bangkok Bank in L O N D O N, yes LONDON UK, they will not see what Bangkok Bank in London do with it, also the payee will be  LANNA GUY or better his real name

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Ojas are you a Banker, Lawyer, or Chartered Accountant, if not may I suggest you cease confusing the OP

22 hours ago, al007 said:

Ojas are you a Banker, Lawyer, or Chartered Accountant, if not may I suggest you cease confusing the OP

yes im completely confused and may just go for them to pay to my Thai account and it gets converted through TT rate

4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

yes im completely confused and may just go for them to pay to my Thai account and it gets converted through TT rate

You MAY be able to get your NHS pension paid directly into your BBL GBP FCD. BUT, as I thought I had made clear, this is PURELY a decision for the pension provider.

al007 is the one causing confusion here in misleadingly giving us the impression that their decision will be an automatic one in your favour. While there may exist clear procedures for making such transfers as he has set out in considerable detail, it would, I think, be foolish to assume in advance that your NHS pension provider would be willing to give you the green light on their basis.

In any event, you should be forewarned that, should you, in due course, be minded to get your State Pension also paid into your BBL GBP FCD, you will almost certainly experience no joy with the DWP if ignis's experience as reported at ID 2465 on the following thread is anything to go by:-

Edited by OJAS

I am quietly withdrawing from this topic, it would seem there are those who wish to confuse LannaGuy

Interestingly however my advice was also kindly confirmed by Jip99

I have given my phone number to LannaGuy by PM

I only seek to assist not confuse

Happy Christmas

I have found NHS pensions to be most helpful and sorted out my problems – may I suggest you simply call them and ask direct and not to take what is said in these forums ?

The number for the (international) Paymaster for NSH pensions is :

0044 1293 591959

14 hours ago, al007 said:

Interestingly however my advice was also kindly confirmed by Jip99

But he didn't say whether the pal for whom he organised an occupational pension worked for the NHS like the OP!

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

I have found NHS pensions to be most helpful and sorted out my problems – may I suggest you simply call them and ask direct and not to take what is said in these forums ?

0044 1293 591959

OP - excellent advice, I think. Good luck with what transpires since I'm also now bowing out of this circular debate!

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

0044 1293 591959

thanks but as I and clear I have not started receiving it yet just wanted to know what others were doing

I think i might forget about GBP etc. and see if they will just pay it into my BB account in THB (I'll suffer the TT rate whatever it is)

LAST question - forget about FCD - has anyone got their NHS pension paid directly into their THB account?