What's In Your "Dream Suitcase?"

Simbaya

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the white very  big-size (must fit my Orang feet) cotton socks for athletics that have a reinforced woven-mesh sole.

My Asturias classical guitar with custom midi-pick-ups from Richard MacLeish (source for the pick-ups incuded in Godin's midi-enabled guitars. Roland hexaphonic output) that's now been on loan to friends for seven years. And, I guess I'd need a Roland GR-55 to go with that, thanks :)

As much "Hard as Hoof" horse-hoof strengthener as possible (for my fingernails).

cheers, ~o:37;

On 12/5/2016 at 8:03 PM, Simbaya said:

GOOD BED LINENS

There seems to be lots of bed linen for sale at Robinson and Central, is there nothing of good quality there?

Personally I had silk bed linen done at Jolie Femme, and also bought a silk duvet and fancy memory foam pillow, so I have no complaints about my bed linen :)

The only perishable items I bring from back home are juicy dates, though mostly for the Thais.

As someone else said, there isn’t really that much you can’t get here (unless you are English, I guess), the main thing I “miss” are a bigger selection of furniture items of high quality and good design. It would of course also be nice not having to pay the “import tax” on Western goods that are made in South East Asia.

1 hour ago, lkn said:

There seems to be lots of bed linen for sale at Robinson and Central, is there nothing of good quality there?

Personally I had silk bed linen done at Jolie Femme, and also bought a silk duvet and fancy memory foam pillow, so I have no complaints about my bed linen :)

The only perishable items I bring from back home are juicy dates, though mostly for the Thais.

As someone else said, there isn’t really that much you can’t get here (unless you are English, I guess), the main thing I “miss” are a bigger selection of furniture items of high quality and good design. It would of course also be nice not having to pay the “import tax” on Western goods that are made in South East Asia.

Yes, there are quality linens at Robinsons and Central--just be prepared for sticker shock and limited choices.

I remember reading a post Nancy L penned, describing a trip she made to BKK for the sole purpose of buying sheets.  (Still really expensive, but at least the selection is  good).

i SO get her sojourn now...and have daydreams of Bed Bath & Beyond regularly (!)

Sudafed would be a good idea. Germaline too.

Shorts for men with genitalia, a few rugby shirts and that'll do me.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

.Sudafed, isn't that used in the manufacture of methamphetamine? I've seen Breaking Bad, so I know what your game is Walter!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Sudafed, aka pseudoephephedrine: a wel-known and trusted OTC med (until meth labs, dontcha know).

This drug is considered safe for pregnant and nursing mothers, even those with hi BPs (most cases) and children as young as 6-12 months.  It's an unbeatable decongestant, and ONLY has a bad rap because of meth.

In the US, we must sign for it at the counter;; in LOS, you have to see an ENT--not a GP, your internist, or family practioner--an ENT--to get this super-cheap, super-safe med.

Worth bringing back, if only to give to the allergy-afflicted.  My Thai friends  have been mightily helped via my paltry stash.  I'd consider  it a definite "bring-back" if you're heading west.

Just sayin....

Sudafed, aka pseudoephephedrine: a wel-known and trusted OTC med (until meth labs, dontcha know).

This drug is considered safe for pregnant and nursing mothers, even those with hi BPs (most cases) and children as young as 6-12 months.  It's an unbeatable decongestant, and ONLY has a bad rap because of meth.

In the US, we must sign for it at the counter;; in LOS, you have to see an ENT--not a GP, your internist, or family practioner--an ENT--to get this super-cheap, super-safe med.

Worth bringing back, if only to give to the allergy-afflicted.  My Thai friends  have been mightily helped via my paltry stash.  I'd consider  it a definite "bring-back" if you're heading west.

Just sayin....

So bringing it in to Thailand is illegal?

Not bringing it to CM, but to some other place: Tons of gingerbread and similar XMas goodies. At my home town, the first day after the supermarkets reopen after XMas, everything related to XMas foods is sold for half price. So I provide the salivating crowd of Farang and Thais where I live with much appreciated treats (and keep a fair share for myself to enhance my daily coffee sessions)

A lifetime supply of really good bedsheets.  Well, not really because trends change.  Just imagine having new-looking sheets on your bed with patterns from the 1990s.  Oh, the horror!.  And towels.  Fashion in towels doesn't change as much and they seem to hold up better here (the cats may have something to do with this), but still it would be nice to bring back a couple years supply of good towels.  Oh, I didn't know what I had in Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I so much took it for granted.  It was simply a place a visited every year just before Thanksgiving when the family descended and I considered the visit a chore.  And bemoaned spending $300 there to make the guest room and bath look presentable.  Oh, how wrong I was.  Now I make a trip to Bangkok every two years and spend over $2000 to do just about the same thing.  (Wait a minute --- I should do that math.  Maybe I should go back to the U.S. next time I want to buy bedsheets and towels, huh?)

And what else would I bring in my suitcase.  Underwear.  Of course.  Both for me and Hubby.  And socks.  For both of us.  Duh.  Good quality stuff.  That fits. In the case of his tee shirts and my panties, cotton that won't fall apart after a few washings.  And the thrill of going into a store and being able to actually try on bras to see if they fit.  None of this measuring and ordering on line and finding out that 50% of the ones you order don't fit and you attempt to give them to friends.  Nothing like finding out intimate details about friends when you try to give them a free, only-tried-on-once bra.  The Thai's idea of bra-fitting is to go into a shop and have the sales girl cup her hand around your boob and then hand you a bra and say it's just perfect for you.  That is if she doesn't say that you're "too big".  

Nancy, the department and mall clothing stores have fitting rooms.

I have a hard time recognizing your issues, but then I am an average sized man from Europe, so prices here are about the same as back home, and selection pretty good, I actually prefer it over what I have back home (but then, I generally prefer buying clothes when “abroad”, incl. when going to the U.S.).

Lately I have been gravitating toward Uniqlo, but have bought clothes from all over the place, also at markets and the small shops in Platinum Fashion Mall (BKK), I am actually surprised how well some of the cheap stuff has held up, was even complimented for a 150 baht buttoned shirt I got from here and wore back home :)

Its funny when we lived in ChiangMai we would bring from the US on our visits things like

"good" Underwear

Gillette Shave Gel

Mach 3 Razors

Ibuprofen

So not much really

But we recently moved back to our home in the US end of July

Then needed to return to Thailand  in Nov for the month to care for MIL

Going back to US my wife had no room in her small suitcase for clothes & left most at

her sisters & the rest stuffed into my case

Instead it was full of packaged Thai foods...Various chilies & pastes

Dried Garlic & Shallots So many things even Fitne tea

Edited by mania

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

A lifetime supply of really good bedsheets.  Well, not really because trends change.  Just imagine having new-looking sheets on your bed with patterns from the 1990s.  Oh, the horror!. 

Mine currently has hello kitty sheets, duvet and pilllow cases.

I love my missus to bits but this does stretch the relationship.

23 hours ago, lkn said:

Yes, it is the English that seem to have the most difficulty cutting the umbilical cord, learning the language, and doing without familiar products.

This cultural isolation goes back to colonial times and that fact may even explain it to a certain extent.

Time and age don't change anything, and eventually they are laid to rest in "...some corner of a foreign field that is for ever England."

1 hour ago, mania said:

Its funny when we lived in ChiangMai we would bring from the US on our visits things like

"good" Underwear

Gillette Shave Gel

Mach 3 Razors

Ibuprofen

So not much really

But we recently moved back to our home in the US end of July

Then needed to return to Thailand  in Nov for the month to care for MIL

Going back to US my wife had no room in her small suitcase for clothes & left most at

her sisters & the rest stuffed into my case

Instead it was full of packaged Thai foods...Various chilies & pastes

Dried Garlic & Shallots So many things even Fitne tea

Oh, no question about it -- if I were returning to the U.S. to live (or even visit for an extended period) I'd take some Thai foodstuffs and even some grooming products I've come to like.  Some of the reasonably priced lotions, creams and powders with "whitening" properties are really good sunscreens and seem to suit my fair skin just fine.   Same with some of the hair care products for moisturizing -- good selection and prices.  Also, Thailand does a nice job in making plastic food storage containers.  I think I'd take some with me as gifts for the U.S. family.  

1 hour ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

Yes, it is the English that seem to have the most difficulty cutting the umbilical cord, learning the language, and doing without familiar products.

This cultural isolation goes back to colonial times and that fact may even explain it to a certain extent.

Time and age don't change anything, and eventually they are laid to rest in "...some corner of a foreign field that is for ever England."

Cultural isolation in colonial times?

Better than a cultural void I guess.

Edited by JaseTheBass

On 12/7/2016 at 1:46 PM, roo860 said:

It is quite legal to bring pseudoephedrine to LOS.  Now, I wouldn't bring it back in "Walter White" quantities!

Remember, it is legal here, by prescription from an ENT, which makes it expensive and time-consuming.

On 12/7/2016 at 1:46 PM, roo860 said:

So bringing it in to Thailand is illegal?

Suitcase?! You can't get anything in those, you don't have to use a suitcase....I bring back 2 large boxes full of everything I need! Ok, you need to upgrade to World Traveller Plus to get 2 boxes (for example on BA).....this gives me 2 large boxes up to 23kgs each (size almost irrelevant)....bring back everything....mountain bikes, coffee machines, toys, cheeses, toasters, kids bikes, 150 piece socket sets, 1kg Flora, Digestives, Dyson Vacuum, Mayo/Tartare Sauce, Monster Munch, Push Chairs (a freebie on top of allowance) , Prams, Car Seats (a freebie on top of allowance)....in the past, when the whole family goes to UK = 5 boxes = 23kgs a box = almost 100kgs of stuff! Even I struggled to get near the 100kgs but did quite well, got to around 80kgs!

Edited by kjhbigv

Suitcase?! You can't get anything in those, you don't have to use a suitcase....I bring back 2 large boxes full of everything I need! Ok, you need to upgrade to World Traveller Plus to get 2 boxes (for example on BA).....this gives me 2 large boxes up to 23kgs each (size almost irrelevant)....bring back everything....mountain bikes, coffee machines, toys, cheeses, toasters, kids bikes, 150 piece socket sets, 1kg Flora, Digestives, Dyson Vacuum, Mayo/Tartare Sauce, Monster Munch, Push Chairs (a freebie on top of allowance) , Prams, Car Seats (a freebie on top of allowance)....in the past, when the whole family goes to UK = 5 boxes = 23kgs a box = almost 100kgs of stuff! Even I struggled to get near the 100kgs but did quite well, got to around 80kgs!

When are you opening your Outlet Store?

On ‎06‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 4:04 PM, irwinfc said:

inflatable entertainment

I thought that was a bit risqué for me to write on here, but since you did so already- oh so true.

I don't see why C M seems to take pains to be unlike the rest of Thailand when it comes to nightlife- ie sod all.

Aussies will understand. I'm shopping at Coles before heading to the airport. 

1 big carton of Smiths crinkle cut Cheese & Onion potato chips. Still the best chips I've eaten anywhere. 

50 big blocks of Cadbury Caramello chocolate. 

Sandy Freckle (post#8) .... maybe we can do a deal ? Use some of your frozen lobsters to stop my Caramellos melting  :biggrin:   Maybe see you at MR Settler's for a beer sometime.