Head-on collision kills two more tourists in Phuket

webfact

Head-on collision kills two more tourists in Phuket

Phuket Gazette 

pkt1.jpeg         

The bike was jammed under the car's front end. Photo: Wichit Police

PHUKET: -- A head-on collision at Chao Fa West Road early this morning has left two more tourists dead.

Police arrived to find a 38-year-old Korean woman, named as Hyemi Lee, standing by her car in shock at the scene in front of Dibuk Hospital. Her car had collided with the tourists’ motorcycle, which was jammed under its front right wheel.

“Witnesses told us that Ms Heymi was driving into town about 2:55am, when the two tourists came in speeding from the opposite direction and crashed into her car,” said Lt Kwansirinath Thairat of Wichit Police.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Headon-collision-kills-two-tourists-Phuket/65957?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-06

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Not surprised. This morning, I had to stop at MY green light because I noticed a van had not slowed down for the red light, next to this accident's location. Sigh. RIP

And will there be any consequences for red-light runners? Nope. The authorities have so many lives on them already because of their neglect of duty that it's becoming one of the reasons why people wont come for their holidays anymore. It's damn dangerous on the roads and public transport doesn't exist. My mom was literally horrified the first time she came here to visit me and whitnessed numerous accidents during her brief visit. It's not something you want to experience during a vacation or really at any time.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

'Her car had collided with the tourist's motorcycle..........'

'........two tourists came in speeding from the opposite direction and crashed into her car'

So which is it? 

Those two don't exclude each other. A collision doesn't imply any direction. If the motorbike drove into the car, then the car still collided with the motorbike.

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Not surprised. This morning, I had to stop at MY green light because I noticed a van had not slowed down for the red light, next to this accident's location. Sigh. RIP

I believe this lights are on flashing orange at that time of day. Sounds like one of the vehicles was on the wrong side of the road and I'd hazard a guess it wasn't the car.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

'........two tourists came in speeding from the opposite direction and crashed into her car'

So which is it? 

Reading the full article will help you out, it's really not that difficult to work out.

12 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Reading the full article will help you out, it's really not that difficult to work out.

Hmmmm. Not much info in the article. Can deduce from the photo that she was apparently on the correct side of the road and the bike was going very fast. Not sure, but looks like a big bike. Guess travel insurance won't be covering them, then.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. Not much info in the article. Can deduce from the photo that she was apparently on the correct side of the road and the bike was going very fast. Not sure, but looks like a big bike. Guess travel insurance won't be covering them, then.

It's clearly a scooter on the pictures. Not sure if one can say how fast they went because with head-on collisions the two velocities are added. E.g. if the car goes 60km/h and the scooter 50km/h the total impact velocity is 110km/h which can easily result in damage like that. They could both be going 30km/h and cause major damage.

17 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

So which is it? 

The first statement doesn't indicate blame, it just states a fact,

Wouldn't be much use to them now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

49 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I have the car cam video of my incident. I tried loading it with camtasia and zooming, but cannot get the phone number off the side of the van. Any video detectives out there? I will email the 15 meg file to you. I want to complain.

A bus jumped a red light and barely missed my Wife, who tells me the only reason she wasn't hit is that she was a little slower than usual moving off from the green light ( I always move off from the green light very tentatively now). 

When my Wife complained that she could have been killed to the DLT Call Centre - The reply from the girl who answered../ "So What? you are not dead are you?".... This was pushed up the chain by my Father in Law, however, unsurprisingly the CCTV cameras at that junction were not functioning !!!!... 

We now have Cameras (front and rear facing) in our cars...  seems we also need side facing too.