30 million and counting: Tourist arrival into the Kingdom of Thailand

webfact

21 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

30 millionth visitor and on 5 December. What a coincidence?

:post-4641-1156694572:

Just under the wire methinks. Congratulations Miss Kobkorn and of course to your tea leaf reader as well. Whats in store for 2017? more of the same. You really deserve a raise in salary.  

1 minute ago, baboon said:

I imagine you would be counted - Surely an arrival is an arrival?

I am also under the impression that those simply changing planes in Bangkok are counted too, though I am willing to stand corrected.

Too true ... I know in the case of Vientiane, a lot of ex pats cross the border to get the cheaper domestic flights from Udon to BKK then off to their respected Country for a Holiday or whatever ....  flying basically the same distance can be less than half the cost of an International flight from Vientiane to BKK ... these along with many other 'Transit' passengers, must run into a large % of these so called 'Tourist' arrival figs

Taken from an article in a source we are not allowed to mention.

"Every day for two months, Thai and Chinese airlines and charter firms have cancelled 30 or more flights -- 18,000 tourists a day, a quarter of a million a month. Don Nakornthab, senior director of the Bank of Thailand's macroeconomic and monetary policy department, pinpointed the unique reason for this massive loss of tourists, income, jobs and taxes -- the prime minister's personal decision in August to attack firms running so-called "zero dollar" tours.

The "tourist engine" was the only part of the entire economy working well. Now, "It would seem like Thailand could lose one of its economic engines", according to Mr Don.

Literally within hours, the junta's own Gen Tanasak Patimapragorn and his National Tourism Policy Committee confessed that, well, yes, Thailand won't actually meet the tourism target this year after all. For example, 10 million Chinese were supposed to come, only 8.8 million will make it. Then, in a classic panic, authorities waived all visa fees for all nationalities for the next 90 days."

4 hours ago, tails said:

LOL it was 32 million back in October

Yet the number of tourist arrivals for the month of October had dropped to 2.26 million compared to 2.41 million in September representing 10.1%  drop according to Don Nakornthap, senior director of Macro-economic Policy Office of the Bank of Thailand. But that didn 't stop the SCB Economic Intelligence Center who further raised in November the number of tourist arrivals to 33 million by the end of 2016.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/central-bank-admits-crackdown-on-zero-dollar-package-tours-has-greater-impacts-than-earlier-projected/

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

If a 'tourist' arrives from Europe and enters Thailand at Swampy stays a few days then visits Cambodia, returns to Thailand on their Multi E visa, leaves again for a few days in Myanmar and again returns to Thailand for a few days, throw in Vietnam, Laos and Malaysia is that one tourist or 6?

Probably 12 by Thai arithmetic 

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Keep it up TAT, get my daily laughs from your pathetic quotes.

30 million on the 5th of december, and the lucky person is Chinese  :cheesy::cheesy:

Sad thing is the silly buggers believe all the crap they put out.

Who ever comes up with all this TAT nonsense must be in the running for the idiot of the year award.

Bravo !

Very good post . I agree 100% .

I do question those figures .

Before when you could do back to back visa exempt stamps

There was always a queue at the Maesai border, with people hoping over and coming back and getting a VES , probably about 500 people per day , leaving and coming straight back in again, these would have been counted as "arrivals" .

500 people everyday equates to 180 000 arrivals per year , and thats just at one border crossing , if it was the same at other border crossings, the figure could well have been 2 million arrivals per year , simply people doing visa runs 

So, there would have been 2 million less arrivals since they stopped issuing back to back VES