More "FIT" tourists - so let's put the prices of hotels up!

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Why should hotel owners have to pay for beach cleaning, repairing 'open sewers' (where in Thailand are there open sewers?) and improving road safety?

Perhaps because having cleaner beaches, getting rid of open sewers and improving road safety would draw more tourists, and allow local businesses to charge them higher prices?

Not to mention that a lot of the open sewers flowing across Thai beaches are carrying the hotels' effluent because they skimped on the sanitary facilities and a lot of the trash is from the hotels' guests.

Or, they can leave it for the ubiquitous "someone else" to pay, it'll never get done, and they can keep wondering why their occupancy keeps going down.  All the while, the stench is getting worse, and the trash is piling higher, but it's hard to tell when you live in it 24/7/365.  On the other hand, to tourists first arriving it's obvious.  And often forms their most lasting impression and the basis of so many of their tweets.

Go to just about any 4-5 star beach hotel around the world and you'll see their employees cleaning up the beach every morning before their guests get out of bed.  Even though the beach isn't actually their property.  There's a reason people happily pay 4-5 star rates to stay in places like that, and insist on Cheap Charlie rates for places with dirty beaches.  

On 12/6/2016 at 11:04 PM, madmitch said:

Independent travellers already pay more than tour groups.

I'm really not sure of the logic here as if hotels lose their tour group income they will be fighting amongst themselves for independent guests to fill their now empty rooms, therefore I'd anticipate seeing lower prices!

Perhaps they raise the price then offer an even bigger percentage discount.

If you try to apply "logic" to Thailand, you will go insane.

The planet Vulcan it is not, perhaps Pluto maybe?

15 hours ago, Elkski said:

I'm surprised no one has brought up collusion or price fixing... how more blatant can it be? 

luckily I am sure many hotels wont raise prices and thus they will get more of the business.  Some people are creatures of habit but many more each day are using online booking and review sites. In the 
US I can usually get a hotel to match the price I find online but at least twice in Thailand I was forced to book on Agoda right in front of the Clerk at her urging to get the best price.  I'm sure Agoda gets some % so the hotels overall profit was lower... Maybe they never give the clerks any leeway to make decisions?  

Thainess! I booked a hotel through Agoda, and tried to extend my stay by one  night. The hotel wanted (approx) 300 baht more than the Agoda price. So I said "OK, I'll go back up to my room and book it through Agoda!" They capitulated, but as you say in your penultimate statement - "Agoda gets some %"

20 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Anybody with half a brain can peruse a few sites and find a perfectly reasonable 3★ hotel in central Bangkok for 1500 baht or less. Of all the reasons I might see fit to perhaps criticise Thailand , the price of hotels would be way down the list.

Fair comment!

Not all hotels ae weird price wise.

Some time ago I had the misfortune of having to go to Patong/Phuket 2-3 times a year, stayed at various places,

but usually at a fairly high class hotel which I booked through an agency at the airport.

The walk in price at this hotel was about 6000/night, very nice hotel, very nice.

I often stayed for 1500/night sometimes as high as 2000/2200/night.

The hotel guys clearly understood that when low season - few guests - the important thing is to get people into the hotel,

cheap room price - OK - but with people in the hotel they will use the bar a bit, they will use the restaurant a bit they will

have the hotel arrange transport a bit, the will use the IDD telephone in the room, they will take stuff from the mini bar, they will do some laundry  --  money to be made

they are not all nitwits

One of the first things I tell fellow Americans about my trip to Thailand is how terrible the trash is and I do occasionally tell about the sewar smells.   So much trash on the road sides, peoples yards, every side Sois,  and the beaches...Why no trash cans?  it seems it would be more efficient to use automated trash trucks rather than have a truck and 3 guys going down the street picking up all the discarded plastic wrapped meals set near the street posts.   I stayed at a nice boutique hotel in Rayong and they cleaned up 2-3 wheel barrows full of plastic and junk every morning. 

On 12/7/2016 at 3:21 AM, worgeordie said:

I thought the goose that lays the golden eggs,was a little ill

and not laying so many eggs now,it's common practice for

Thai's to rise prices of goods when sales are down,is this

what is happening here ?

regards Worgeordie

It's always been like that, I've seen houses, apartments, condos, beer bars go months, years without being rented because they will not lower the price comensurate with the market moves.  Just being stuborn, raise the price so no one will buy or rent them............a British aquaintence of mine buys & flips about six Condos a year, but when the other condo owners find out what he sold them for - they always say 'He is a stupid man, can get more money"  He sells six to their zero - who's making the money???  :post-4641-1156694083:

On 12/7/2016 at 11:04 AM, madmitch said:

Independent travellers already pay more than tour groups.

I'm really not sure of the logic here as if hotels lose their tour group income they will be fighting amongst themselves for independent guests to fill their now empty rooms, therefore I'd anticipate seeing lower prices!

Perhaps they raise the price then offer an even bigger percentage discount.

We are in LoS don't forget, there is no logic or common sense. Common occurrence, keep building hotels, and put prices up when there is a huge surplus of rooms...

:jap:

20 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

It's always been like that, I've seen houses, apartments, condos, beer bars go months, years without being rented because they will not lower the price comensurate with the market moves.  Just being stuborn, raise the price so no one will buy or rent them............a British aquaintence of mine buys & flips about six Condos a year, but when the other condo owners find out what he sold them for - they always say 'He is a stupid man, can get more money"  He sells six to their zero - who's making the money???  :post-4641-1156694083:

Mark 'em down, sell them on... my boy already!