best jobs for locals in Thailand

padgebkk

Any thoughts on the best paying jobs for unskilled workers inThailand?

Apart from the obvious ones in bars, spare a thought for a mailhandler in the esteemed Thailand Postal Service.

How many of us have birhday cards and Christmas cards sent to us from loved ones at home, usually with a small amount of cash attached?

How many times have the cards never arrived or, if we are lucky, arrived minus any cash?

Any other good paying jobs come to mind for a conscientous Thai further himself or herself?

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

I would not put all the blame on the Thai Postman for missing stuff,especially this

time of year,could have just as easily happened at country of posting.

One job comes to mind,policeman,unskilled ?,plenty of perks.

regards worgeordie

There are obvious reasons why unskilled jobs are typically lower pay.  But even the better paying, seemingly unskilled jobs (e.g., Air Hostess) requires a college degree.  Your GF can always start her own business...as long as you provide some seed money. 

Open an internet shop?

Something like a facebook shop if you're girlfriend is popular on it, where you can order the product of your choice from alibaba.com and mark it up.

Even if she's not popular there are many ways to market it without having to pay or pay little bit of money.

I've always thought that an internet business would be perfect for someone here...selling things on ebay or facebook...i've looked, and some people are making huge money...for example, there is a guy/girl on ebay  who sells motorcycle parts, primarily to the usa...a mirror in the usa would cost 20 usd...here it costs 50 baht...the same with amulets, clothes, and such...the secret is finding the right items that are actually in demand...browse ebay for differnt items and see which ones are actually being purchased...also, many thais abroad are absolutely loyal to particular brands of lotion/food here...totally off the radar is to be a notary...i had to notarize some documents here, and you can be charged 2000 to 5000 baht   for the service, per signature...literally, 5 minutes of time demanded, and no skill whatsoever...and most attorney offices do not have a notary onsite

20 hours ago, padgebkk said:

How many of us have birhday cards and Christmas cards sent to us from loved ones at home, usually with a small amount of cash attached? How many times have the cards never arrived or, if we are lucky, arrived minus any cash?

Never had anything go missing in the post, but do adults actually send a little bit of cash to one another? Sounds like something a grandmother would do for a 10 year old grandchild. If one of my "loved ones" sent me a card with a small amount of cash in it, I'd think they must have finally gone 'round the bend. 

Can't quite figure out what all of that has to do with jobs for locals. Are you suggesting someone get work as a postal employee and start augmenting the pay by opening birthday cards?

Edited by Suradit69

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What about the brown envelopes?

Generally, that can only happen if the test is passed. So you cant help someone get in if they don't pass the test. However, if you pass the test but get a low score, that is when other things can get involved. 

2 hours ago, hdkane said:

.the secret is finding the right items that are actually in demand.

If you're suggesting selling Thai things on eBay to Americans, there's also the "secret" of shipping costs and customs duty and the likelihood that an American looking for motorcycle parts would opt for something sent out of Thailand.

also, many thais abroad are absolutely loyal to particular brands of lotion/food here

Much of which can be found in Asian grocery stores or could be sent by relatives in Thailand, although again customs clearance could be an issue.

Edited by Suradit69

Online selling is a good way if you have the contacts/friend list to further free advertise. Face cream back home costs 75 baht at a market. You can sell it for 550 baht. If it is just pocket money then things like that are good. Branded clothes can also be cheaper back home, an interesting enough, I have recently found out dog medication. Particular types of medication go for in excess of 10k here when you can get it for 1.5k back home and have it posted. 

Edited by wildewillie89

Can of worms depends on the person.

Best job would be educating themselves first as far as able and if prepared to work hard they will get by.

Self-employment better than working long hours for companies it seems from my observation.

Also l see a lot of young retired people who just ponce off the family.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Can of worms depends on the person.

Best job would be educating themselves first as far as able and if prepared to work hard they will get by.

Self-employment better than working long hours for companies it seems from my observation.

Also l see a lot of young retired people who just ponce off the family.

Agree about the education. Also working for company/government has the perks of health insurance for the family. lower interest rates etc etc.
Self-employment good, but it struggles when the economy struggles. 

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Agree about the education. Also working for company/government has the perks of health insurance for the family. lower interest rates etc etc.
Self-employment good, but it struggles when the economy struggles. 

You posted  " locals "  so l commented on l what l see locally.

My son works away in Bangkok because that's where he gets contracts for his type of work and has to travel many places all over Thailand sometimes.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

You posted  " locals "  so l commented on l what l see locally.

My son works away in Bangkok because that's where he gets contracts for his type of work and has to travel many places all over Thailand sometimes.

I am talking about locals lol...that is why i agreed with the education aspect. However, there is  a time limit. Not many companies/government will hire 30 plus people. I saw it as a common problem with my Thai friends back in Melbourne. They spent years working in Australia, but when tried to get a job back in Thai it was difficult due to age. 

That's when self-employment can work out better.