Dhammachayo relieved from his post as abbot of Wat Dhammakaya

webfact

Dhammachayo relieved from his post as abbot of Wat Dhammakaya

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FmaX4LGW2a7PDwWVpmDoo31

BANGKOK: -- Phra Dhammachayo has been relieved of his duty and responsibility as the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya effective as of Thursday by the Pathum Thani chief monk, citing his prolonged illness.

The removal of Phra Dhammachayo or Phra Thepyarn Mahamuni as the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya was announced on Thursday by Mr Phanom Sornsilp, director of the National Office of Buddhism.

Mr Phanom said the Pathum Thani chief monk felt that the embattled abbot had fallen sick from diabetes, blood clot on the left leg and allergy for a long time and, for that matter, should be relieved of his burden as the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya so that he would be given proper medical treatment.

However, Phra Dhammachayo was appointed the honorary abbot of the temple.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/?p=186768

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-09

"...Phra Dhammachayo...relieved of his duty and responsibility..., citing his prolonged illness..."

The farce surrounding this guy continues.

According to the director of the National Office of Buddhism, Dhammachayo "...should be relieved of his burden as the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya so that he would be given proper medical treatment...".

Further, he was appointed the honorary abbot of the temple.

Hardly a disciplinary measure by the NOB's !!!

Dhammachayo Removed As Abbot Of Dhammakaya

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

Dhammachayo-screenshot1.jpg

Dhammachayo gives a sermon on Feb. 19, 2012, at Wat Dhammakaya in Pathum Thani. Image: DMC YouTube

BANGKOK — The fugitive abbot of Dhammakaya wanted on embezzlement charges was removed from his position Thursday by Buddhist authorities but allowed to retain a ceremonial role.

A letter released by Pathum Thani’s chapter of the national authority on Buddhist monks said Dhammachayo, 72, was relieved of his post due to the long-running illness his order blames for not turning himself in to face charges of receiving 1.4 billion baht of donations embezzled from a credit union.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/12/08/dhammachayo-removed-abbot-dhammakaya/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-12-09

Blood clot/diabetes my a..e.

Many people have diabetes but it dosent stop them going about their normal lives.

Everything about this   so called monk is a lie.

If he is such a good honest person let him come forward and proves his innocence.

He is hiding away, living off ill gotten gains and just laughing at the authorities.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Many people have diabetes but it dosent stop them going about their normal lives.

If he is such a good honest person let him come forward and proves his innocence.

He is hiding away, living off ill gotten gains and just laughing at the authorities.

Yes he's laughing at the authorities and the fact they're allowing it to happen is a disgrace.

What's the biggest lose of face, being made a fool of or permitting to occur and to continue ?

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

...while the authorities live off ill gotten gains and laugh at the general population.

What came first....the chicken or the egg?

2 hours ago, waldroj said:

"...Phra Dhammachayo...relieved of his duty and responsibility..., citing his prolonged illness..."

The farce surrounding this guy continues.

According to the director of the National Office of Buddhism, Dhammachayo "...should be relieved of his burden as the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya so that he would be given proper medical treatment...".

Further, he was appointed the honorary abbot of the temple.

Hardly a disciplinary measure by the NOB's !!!

I guess if he is now honorary, he will not be receiving any money for his work, but still be in charge.

<snip - hidden post removed>

I am not disrespecting any culture, just criticising some of the people who represent it.

This IS NOT an isolated case of bad behaviour by monks, far fom it.

Also, if you learn about a culture, it by no way means you have to respect it.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Good so he is no longer the head boy go and drag his sorry arse in.  He looked in quite good shape last week so don't fall for the old, he has had a relapse and last rites are being given again.

1. I wonder whether the photos in the articles are the same day or old file photos.

2. Appointed honorary abbot - very probably means nothing has changed.

3. Suddenly again he's very sick: diabetes, blood clot, allergies. This was all trotted out the last time this came to a head.        There have been lots of news articles in the last few weeks about renewed activity to arrest him. How come the 'sick' flag wasn't raided again until yesterday.

4. Given the earlier claims by his big mouth smug spokesperson 'he's very sick', and the earlier published medical reports which said he was sick (but these reports still subject to serious controversy), have the DSI and RTP made any recent attempt to insist on an up to date medical report from a credible and acceptable source?

This case would make numerous very interesting future case studies for the medical profession andto operate a police forse. In other words learn from the many mistakes. 

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Yes he's laughing at the authorities and the fact they're allowing it to happen is a disgrace.

What's the biggest lose of face, being made a fool of or permitting to occur and to continue ?

The "face" issue in Thailand is a very, very serious one. Many people die or are maimed for life because of it each year. In this instance, the face issue involves many notables and influential people buying into the Dhammakaya belief/cult without realizing they've been fooled, and now they can't back down for fear they will be made to look foolish (this explanation from a colleague who knows the situation intimately). As with many previous incidents of preserving face, the damage done is inconsequential to their precious bloody pride. 

But I believe the authorities have manoeuvred themselves into a position where they can't hold off on action for too much longer. This time around, the collective loss of face on their part is likely to be far too damaging to them. Interesting times ahead.

7 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

The "face" issue in Thailand is a very, very serious one. Many people die or are maimed for life because of it each year. In this instance, the face issue involves many notables and influential people buying into the Dhammakaya belief/cult without realizing they've been fooled, and now they can't back down for fear they will be made to look foolish (this explanation from a colleague who knows the situation intimately). As with many previous incidents of preserving face, the damage done is inconsequential to their precious bloody pride. 

But I believe the authorities have manoeuvred themselves into a position where they can't hold off on action for too much longer. This time around, the collective loss of face on their part is likely to be far too damaging to them. Interesting times ahead.

Agree, and hopefully if they fail again a 44 order will remove the police chief and first couple of levels of senior cops, at least.

What it comes down to is by relieving him as abbot and appoint him as honorary abbot that he had no official function and office. As honorary abbot, he is just a figurehead and only represent at formal and important occasion. Now the temple officials can't be held responsible for his whereabouts or charged with abetting and aiding. Think it is smart strategy. 

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

This relief from duties about as plausible as Trump giving his daughter supposed control over his businesses and saying no conflict.

Just why do you.have to drag Trump into this post. Just another lefties sore loser?

What a disgrace - to make this person the 'honorary' abbot. As if he had even a hint or smidgen of 'honour' about him!

As others have said - the farce continues, and the insult to all religious decency and integrity reaches new heights.

although I and most people here would like to see this situation resolved as there is very clearly a case to answer, I also think there is a bigger picture here that requires caution.

As we have seen in the past (2010) Thailand can very quickly erupt to violence, I believe there are divisive elements waiting in the wings to use this temple monk situation as a catalyst to take to the streets, it could very easily get very ugly as certain groups use the situation as a catalyst for unrelated violence.

Be careful what you wish for as it could become very ugly indeed 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Phra Dhammachayo has been relieved of his duty and responsibility as the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya effective as of Thursday by the Pathum Thani chief monk, citing his prolonged illness.

Prolonged illness interpretation. Aversion to be arrested. Call up that Stone fella who does documentaries. There surely must be a whole series in this fiasco. 

Edited by elgordo38

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am sure that this former monk would be only to willing to help if only he doesnt have to return to Thailand with the private jet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/10157509/Buddhist-monk-picture-on-private-jet-has-assets-frozen.html

He's quite good at the Great Escape thing, when supposedly cornered somewhere in Laos didn't he fly out from under the noses of the authorities as he just happened to have a helicopter parked at the back of the house ?

1 hour ago, smedly said:

although I and most people here would like to see this situation resolved as there is very clearly a case to answer, I also think there is a bigger picture here that requires caution.

As we have seen in the past (2010) Thailand can very quickly erupt to violence, I believe there are divisive elements waiting in the wings to use this temple monk situation as a catalyst to take to the streets, it could very easily get very ugly as certain groups use the situation as a catalyst for unrelated violence.

Be careful what you wish for as it could become very ugly indeed 

You're quite right about the potential for street violence. Except that this is a localized issue, and a criminal more than an emotional one. The hard core devotees may resist with violence, but I would expect that the average follower will melt away at the first sign of trouble. The hard core will be nasty, but like in June, their resistence will be restricted to the temple.

PS: Is Thailand about to experience its own Waco?

Edited by Dexlowe
adding a PS.