Another Korean couple’s honeymoon ends in tragedy

snoop1130

Another Korean couple’s honeymoon ends in tragedy

Winai Sarot

1_20161212162055289_QnbBntQmKbMLhkTxvVqt

PHUKET:-- A newly-married Korean couple’s honeymoon came to a tragic end when the man drowned while snorkeling at Koh Hei this morning.

The 33-year-old tourist, named as Jeong Yong Soo, had arrived in Phuket with his wife on Saturday after their wedding. The tourist police received reports of the incident from Vachira Phuket Hospital representatives at about 10am.

“The tour guide as well as boat crew reportedly tried to convince Mr Soo to wear a life jacket, which he refused,” said Phuket Tourist Police Chief Naruewat Puttawiro. “His wife called for help after he jumped into the sea to snorkel. The boat crew administered CPR on him after fishing him out of the water, but to no avail.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Another-Korean-couples-honeymoon-ends-tragedy/65982?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-08

Sad end to a honeymoon, not sure how the spouse can ever recover from something like that.

A little seawater down the snorkel for a beginner is about all it takes for panic to set in.

I hope it wasn't a "pride" thing not wearing the life jacket. Pride can get you killed.

1 hour ago, Shot said:

Sad end to a honeymoon, not sure how the spouse can ever recover from something like that.

A little seawater down the snorkel for a beginner is about all it takes for panic to set in.

I hope it wasn't a "pride" thing not wearing the life jacket. Pride can get you killed.

Well the sea is very warm, there are no waves, it's clear water...not a very dangerous place to snorkle...no sharks or so.

I guess he couldn't swim or had a bad hangover or so. 

30 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

surely common sense dictates that if they refuse basic safety measures like a life vest then you refuse their custom. Duty ofcare should exist even against customer ignorance, they shouldnt of taken them out.

Why, i refuse to use a life vest, I would even use weights (do a bit of freediving during the snorkeling). There are countless of people who don't need a life vest its actually quite bothersome if you have to wear one when you can swim. More drag.. no ability to go underwater ect. 

But on the other hand I can't understand people who can't swim and won't use them, just does not make sense.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why, i refuse to use a life vest, I would even use weights (do a bit of freediving during the snorkeling). There are countless of people who don't need a life vest its actually quite bothersome if you have to wear one when you can swim. More drag.. no ability to go underwater ect. 

But on the other hand I can't understand people who can't swim and won't use them, just does not make sense.

I may be wrong so happy to be corrected if am but the original article said tour guide so i assume this was a group of tourists not a chartered boat for the couple.

i believe and just my opnion but if it is to a group of tourists then basic safety measures should be in place and enforced whether swimmers or not. If they want to snorkel without lifejackets then they should charter their own boat or a long boat for themselves.  I can swim well and would prefer to snorkel alone or jacket free, but i believe it puts the whole group at risk if safety measures are let slip for the sake of turning away business

Edited by swbaggies

Wear a life jacket please. However good of a swimmer or macho you want to impress the ladies, you never know how the underwater current will be. I rmb 10 years ago i was 25 n i visited phuket; I did the same thing too, thinking life jackets are for wuss, only to realise the I am the wuss. 

Those waters are not easy to swim in.

RIP and condolences to the Korean man, his wife and his family

Wear a life jacket please. However good of a swimmer or macho you want to impress the ladies, you never know how the underwater current will be. I rmb 10 years ago i was 25 n i visited phuket; I did the same thing too, thinking life jackets are for wuss, only to realise the I am the wuss. 
Those waters are not easy to swim in.
RIP and condolences to the Korean man, his wife and his family

The waters where these tours go to are really easy to swim.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I may be wrong so happy to be corrected if am but the original article said tour guide so i assume this was a group of tourists not a chartered boat for the couple.
i believe and just my opnion but if it is to a group of tourists then basic safety measures should be in place and enforced whether swimmers or not. If they want to snorkel without lifejackets then they should charter their own boat or a long boat for themselves.  I can swim well and would prefer to snorkel alone or jacket free, but i believe it puts the whole group at risk if safety measures are let slip for the sake of turning away business

If the tour group wants that it should be a prerequisite for participating.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I am going to put my hand up and admit that I was one of those too proud to wear a jacket whilst snorkeling out of Phuket. After about half-hour I was starting to feel somewhat fatigued and only just made it back to the boat ladder.

Considering yourself to be a good swimmer 30 years ago does not make you the same now. Lesson learned.

54 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I am going to put my hand up and admit that I was one of those too proud to wear a jacket whilst snorkeling out of Phuket. After about half-hour I was starting to feel somewhat fatigued and only just made it back to the boat ladder.

Considering yourself to be a good swimmer 30 years ago does not make you the same now. Lesson learned.

Totally agree. I'm fit as fiddle , run a lot, circuit training, weights, play footie ect. But I rarely swim and when I do go swimming (in the pool) , I find it's quite a different thing from being fit outside of the water. 

Yes people who are old sometimes are not as in shape as they were when they were at 33,

the age of this Korean man.  I hate to say it, but pride and stubbornness have got a lot of

people killed over the  years. There was  a  young man  from Korea  that was at the Grande

Canyon  and fell off the edge of the canyon to his death  while taking  a selfie.  I guess that

young man was a victim of foolishness. RIP  and I hope the Korean woman will recover

from this loss, in the future

Geezer

8 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yes people who are old sometimes are not as in shape as they were when they were at 33,

the age of this Korean man.  I hate to say it, but pride and stubbornness have got a lot of

people killed over the  years. There was  a  young man  from Korea  that was at the Grande

Canyon  and fell off the edge of the canyon to his death  while taking  a selfie.  I guess that

young man was a victim of foolishness. RIP  and I hope the Korean woman will recover

from this loss, in the future

Geezer

I don't know why you call him foolish for taking a picture.  I can say you are foolish for coming to Thailand, driving at night, walking in the street, whatever....I don't know why we all like to marginalize someone's life so easily.  Pride, like in fighting a war and dying?  or trying to save your family from a burning house buy dying?  

and then you do the obligatory RIP..... really sad your comment.

Should I say people are foolish for drinking, eating fat foods, sleeping with bar girls, etc.......What if they go hiking and die, should i condem them and call them foolish?  

come on..

4 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Risking your life for a selfie is pretty much the definition of foolish..

Risking your life talking on the phone and driving, drinking ever, eating fatty foods, eating anything bad, sex, exercise...

how high is the horse you are on???  

Even inactivity is bad and foolish, as it doesn't promote good blood circulation.

on the computer too much is also foolish, bad for eyes and mind.

never ends

13 hours ago, swbaggies said:

surely common sense dictates that if they refuse basic safety measures like a life vest then you refuse their custom. Duty ofcare should exist even against customer ignorance, they shouldnt of taken them out.

You cant snorkel in a life vest, the whole point is to dive below the surface.

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

If you are not actually diving, Snorkeling is almost effortless. Your body is naturally bsuoyant, and the snorkel alleviates the need to expend even a small amount of energy to keep your head above water. I havent found snorkelling has gotten any more difficult in the last 20 years.

If you cant maintain that for 30 minutes you shou!d not be in the water.

In a warm sea

2 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

How do you snorkel with a life jacket on. Just float on top of the water and look. You cannot dive down a bit with a life jacket on unless its deflated and that defeats the object. This guy may have been a serious snorkeller. RIP

Maybe he was a serious snorkeler, but he would have been the only one on that boat and the other 10 boats nearby. And he would have been 1 of 10 or so on all those boats who was able to swim.

They and all their brethren should not have been on that trip, it simply should not have been sold to them (as part of a package very likely).

Puukao,   taking a selfie  while standing at the edge  of the Grande  Canyon  was  very  foolish.

the  guy  took  a  selfie,  but  since  he  was at  the edge  he  stumbled  and fell  to  his  death.

My  friend  took  a picture  of  him  going  over  the edge.  It  really  affected  my  friend  as  he

offered  to take  the Korean  guy's picture  just  5 minutes  earlier.  So puukao,  nothing  wrong  with

taking  pictures, that  is not  the issue,  taking a selfie  and dying because of it,  is not a very smart

activity.  Maybe  you do not know  the difference  from taking a picture  and taking a selfie

,  so  not sure  where  your  mind set is  but,  Okay!

I guess you do  not  think  that texting while driving  is foolish  either.  Good  Luck  with that

habit  as well,  and wear  your  helmet.

Geezer

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Totally agree. I'm fit as fiddle , run a lot, circuit training, weights, play footie ect. But I rarely swim and when I do go swimming (in the pool) , I find it's quite a different thing from being fit outside of the water. 

if your wearing fins and a mask its far easier than swimming I did 3 hours snorkeling trips going from one side of the island to the other (Koh Lipe). We did  2 hour snorkeling trips with an Thai girl that had not been swimming in a while.. no problem at all. But you do need to have fins. 

Its really not that hard. 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Maybe he was a serious snorkeler, but he would have been the only one on that boat and the other 10 boats nearby. And he would have been 1 of 10 or so on all those boats who was able to swim.

They and all their brethren should not have been on that trip, it simply should not have been sold to them (as part of a package very likely).

Sure i seen those asian trips where they get pulled by a guide on a rope while in their life vests. So I think you could be right still I been on trips booked at lipe itself and other islands where I joined an other group. Never a problem not using a life jacked (or even having a weight belt on). But many of those trips don't supply fins and things get a lot harder if you don't have any fins.

16 hours ago, swbaggies said:

Not when money is involved.

19 hours ago, swbaggies said:

I believe adults age 33 can make their own decisions. Don't make all of us wear life jackets when we don't need them. Cannot give everyone a swim test. They had life jackets and advised him to wear one and he refused. Unless he was a little kid not much more the boat crew could do. 

RIP. Had to be horrendous for all involved expecially bride.