2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

webfact

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

No. Just saying what if the roles were reversed. Would we see the same story?

In fairness, I think not.

In theory Thai law is fair and applicable to all. In practice justice often takes a slightly different direction.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does it matter if a foreigner is in the right or in the wrong if he hits and kills (or injures) someone?

I don't fear driving here because I don't drive. There's too much that can be easily hit even if you're a careful driver. Even if you hit nothing, sooner or later something could hit you.

Very difficult to live here as a family without a car!

3 hours ago, frank0424 said:

I find that hard to believe. " Driving while intoxicated does not affect liability coverage". ???????!!!!!!!!!

It does, insurance in Thailand becomes void if over the limit, anyone in doubt should read their policy or ask their broker.

9 hours ago, Bule gila said:

So many posts I could reply to but not knowing the facts, I can't make a valid judgement. I just want to add one thing; If this happened in UK, whether it was a Thai, a Martian, a clever chimpanzee or a native, they would all be treated exactly the same and that is one thing no one can say about what happens here. He is *****d. 

The U.K justice system isnt colour or religion blind anymore. Many reported instances of certain groups receiving dismissals or reduced sentances compared to that of other groups.

Yep, 5 hours drinking beer & wine - in daytime too for at least a couple of those 5 hours - will make a man drunk. This Englishman's life has changed for good now, it's the end of his living-the-dream on the lovely tropical island.  As many others have pointed out drink & drive/ride is an absolute NO-NO. There's really no excuse for it in Thailand anyway as cheap public transport is abundant everywhere. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

10 Years. Causing death while drunk behind the wheel is murder.

Family would have to want time over dollars. If he compensates, does humility necessary and it quietens down I think he slips away after the paperwork is done plus a few months if that. Spread the love in the meantime.

Idiot, but he still deserves fair treatment under the law...wishful thinking.

As a side note, on my first km drive this morning, about 20 instances of motorbikes coming at me from literally all angles ignoring the road direction, none with helmets, all with two or more passengers.

1 minute ago, BlindMagician said:

Idiot, but he still deserves fair treatment under the law...wishful thinking.

As a side note, on my first km drive this morning, about 20 instances of motorbikes coming at me from literally all angles ignoring the road direction, none with helmets, all with two or more passengers.

He will be dealt with as the law prescribes and I hope it's the full letter of the law. As for the second bit he was overtaking therefore on the wrong side of the road and ploughed into a oncoming bike so I fail to see the relevance of your on "as side note" remarks in this case.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

It does, insurance in Thailand becomes void if over the limit, anyone in doubt should read their policy or ask their broker.

Of course it does. I would be certain that would apply in every country in the world.

I am stunned that Thaidream claims he worked in  " the auto accident investigation unit for a large insurance company in the US" and makes a claim that driving while intoxicated does not affect liability cover. I am waiting for Thaidream to clarify.

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Yep, 5 hours drinking beer & wine - in daytime too for at least a couple of those 5 hours - will make a man drunk. This Englishman's life has changed for good now, it's the end of his living-the-dream on the lovely tropical island.  As many others have pointed out drink & drive/ride is an absolute NO-NO. There's really no excuse for it in Thailand anyway as cheap public transport is abundant everywhere. 

I agree with your comments except that this is Samui. There is no realistic cheap public transport.  (Unless you live on or near the ring road.)

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

I agree with your comments except that this is Samui. There is no realistic cheap public transport.  (Unless you live on or near the ring road.)

Given the pickle this guy is now in I reckon all public transport options available on  Samui are very cheap !!

27 minutes ago, balo said:

Let's hope he can not buy himself out of court.

Pretty uncharitable, why different rules for a  foreigner, he has still incidentally to be proven guilty

I do not condone drunk driving, but all this Kangaroo Justice on a fellow foreigner is far worse

Are we not in the season of Good Will to All Men

44 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

So then you drink at home or within walking distance of your home or is that to difficult to understand

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

He will be dealt with as the law prescribes and I hope it's the full letter of the law. As for the second bit he was overtaking therefore on the wrong side of the road and ploughed into a oncoming bike so I fail to see the relevance of your on "as side note" remarks in this case.

Fail, indeed. It was an observation worth sharing. Goes to the general poor state of road safety. Not just drunk driving mowing down a bike, but alot of everyday rules violations and shockingly awful daily events. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

On 12/14/2016 at 11:39 AM, ChrisY1 said:

One of my biggest fears of driving here....hitting a motor bike and being in the wrong....

Even if it isn't your fault you'll be in the wrong mate. It happened to me a couple of years back, nightime, turning right at a busy intersection and a guy on a bike with no lights on drove across the junction and I hit him. Nobody was injured and just a small scratch on his bike but a crowd of people quickly formed, lucky the guy was ok and accepted 500 Baht for his stupidity and I left the scene as soon as I saw he was not hurt. 

2 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

EXPAT drinking ONE beer an HOUR.

OH you are so funny.

And by the way WHY? did he not know what he hit, and took so long to stop.

OH i forgot, he only had one drink an hour.

Ohh you were there and know how many he drank, please enlighten us a bit more with your intimate knowledge.

7 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

EXPAT drinking ONE beer an HOUR.

OH you are so funny.

And by the way WHY? did he not know what he hit, and took so long to stop.

OH i forgot, he only had one drink an hour.

As much as I agree he was probably blotto pi55ed, you cannot claim that ALL farang are incapable of slow drinking. I am not sure why people love living in a black and white world, jumping to extremes in everything. I have had drinking sessions where I have drank 5 beers in 5 minutes, literally, and other times where it took me 2 hours to drink 1 beer. 

On 12/14/2016 at 10:39 AM, ChrisY1 said:

One of my biggest fears of driving here....hitting a motor bike and being in the wrong....

One of my biggest fears of motorcycling here....being hit by a car and being in the right

I escape death daily.

"He told police that he knew he had hit ‘something’, but had no idea that it was a motorbike until he eventually stopped close to soi 1 and got out of his car to find out what he had hit."

Mr. Edwards are going to spend long time in the slammer, no more drinking and driving in the near future. 

His BAC And its effect can be argued all day long

winnie Churchill is known to be one of the worlds most highly functional drunks, for example... and look at his acheivments

but... that he drove so long, pushing a motorbike, and two near dead men, is very compelling evidence against him

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

As much as I agree he was probably blotto pi55ed, you cannot claim that ALL farang are incapable of slow drinking. I am not sure why people love living in a black and white world, jumping to extremes in everything. I have had drinking sessions where I have drank 5 beers in 5 minutes, literally, and other times where it took me 2 hours to drink 1 beer. 

Thanks for sharing your drinking habits here on TV, we really appreciate it. 

3 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

Fail, indeed. It was an observation worth sharing. Goes to the general poor state of road safety. Not just drunk driving mowing down a bike, but alot of everyday rules violations and shockingly awful daily events. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

My knickers never get in a twist as I keep saying I don't wear them but each to there own don't let me stop you. As for the fail to see all it was and is, is a poor attempt to shift the topic at hand ie drunk English man on the wrong side of the road kills two Thai's quite simple really . 

10 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

My knickers never get in a twist as I keep saying I don't wear them but each to there own don't let me stop you. As for the fail to see all it was and is, is a poor attempt to shift the topic at hand ie drunk English man on the wrong side of the road kills two Thai's quire simple really . 

You're one of those tedious control freaks aren't you. Yes the specific incident was as you say, drunk driver mows down bike etc, but the topic is road safety. There is no harm, indeed surely benefit, from discussing pertinent related issues of road safety. If you insist on being narrow, and policing content to fit your perceived narrow range, you might miss something.

Meanwhile, get your brain out of this silly win the argument at all costs mode, and allow others the freedom to comment on the topic of road safety. Far too many people die each year, from various different specific circumstances.

If you read a newspaper in a cafe with some friends, a specific article might lead to an interesting free flow of chat, and not confined to the explicit specifics of that article. This electronic version of said scenario should also allow such free flow chat, stemming from the OP, if there is a logical linked topic...which these was...road safety. Get it? Best of luck with your underwear.

14 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

You're one of those tedious control freaks aren't you. Yes the specific incident was as you say, drunk driver mows down bike etc, but the topic is road safety. There is no harm, indeed surely benefit, from discussing pertinent related issues of road safety. If you insist on being narrow, and policing content to fit your perceived narrow range, you might miss something.

Meanwhile, get your brain out of this silly win the argument at all costs mode, and allow others the freedom to comment on the topic of road safety. Far too many people die each year, from various different specific circumstances.

If you read a newspaper in a cafe with some friends, a specific article might lead to an interesting free flow of chat, and not confined to the explicit specifics of that article. This electronic version of said scenario should also allow such free flow chat, stemming from the OP, if there is a logical linked topic...which these was...road safety. Get it? Best of luck with your underwear.

I can't be bothered with all this tedious self inflating drivel you will keep spouting. I am only keeping the thread on track but hey fill your boots if you get self gratification out of it. I see you are trying to defend your choice of frilly underwear as I said each to there own ducky.

42 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

My knickers never get in a twist as I keep saying I don't wear them but each to there own don't let me stop you. As for the fail to see all it was and is, is a poor attempt to shift the topic at hand ie drunk English man on the wrong side of the road kills two Thai's quite simple really . 

Wait, was it said that the englishman was infact drunk AND on the wrong side of the road? Both are now confirmed?

Archived