2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

webfact

Just now, Thaiwrath said:

So nobody in a Thai jail has a pot to piss in ?

If you do a search, you will some very affluent Thais currently incarcerated.

I know what you mean, and I don't know much about thai law, but there is usually a difference between "Civil" suits and (in Murica' speak) federal level suits. The RTP usually acting as intermediaries (and paid to do so - money money) in civil suits. This is usually why it "pays" to pay the RTP to do anything. 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit off subject, but a Thai teenager teeboned me, both on motorcycles.  After a few brief moments a crowd started to gather and the subsequent fingerpointing began at my bike and myself.  $500 baht and adios.  Could have been much worse for the innocent.  RIP to those departed.

On 12/15/2016 at 11:10 AM, JustNo said:

As much as I agree he was probably blotto pi55ed, you cannot claim that ALL farang are incapable of slow drinking. I am not sure why people love living in a black and white world, jumping to extremes in everything. I have had drinking sessions where I have drank 5 beers in 5 minutes, literally, and other times where it took me 2 hours to drink 1 beer. 

WHERE? did i say ALL Expats.

Please read posts before you comment.

Going off his facebook pictures his private reg plate bearing his initials has been on 2 different  Lamborghini's and an Audi R8, that reg is currently on an Audi RS5, not exactly a run of the mill car either.

At a guess he will be relieved of much baht and that will be it.

59 minutes ago, Zeberdee said:

Going off his facebook pictures his private reg plate bearing his initials has been on 2 different  Lamborghini's and an Audi R8, that reg is currently on an Audi RS5, not exactly a run of the mill car either.

The fact there has been no word from officials about his arrest other than he has been arrested and blood samples taken, does suggest hush hush negations are going on behind closed doors. Money is in the air... and it stinks 

59 minutes ago, JustNo said:

The fact there has been no word from officials about his arrest other than he has been arrested and blood samples taken, does suggest hush hush negations are going on behind closed doors. Money is in the air... and it stinks 

Unfortunately you might be right , from his FB it looks like the guy is loaded with money .  I think we will not have a news update in this case,  I hope I'm wrong. 

4 hours ago, Zeberdee said:

Pretty safe bet.

3 hours ago, JustNo said:

Odious yes, but TiT.

57 minutes ago, james.d said:

Is this the first time this has happened?,. Maybe someone can shed light on an earlier case and outcome.

Without the social media.

Thanks

About a year ago, a British guy in a Benz killed an off-duty cop in Hua Hin in what was for all intents and purposes a high-speed hit and run. He abandoned the car and ostensibly went to hospital but left his ID and stuff in the Benz at the scene. There was never any formal arrest or determination of possible intoxication and the whole story died a very quick death where even his identity was never officially revealed. Suffice to say sufficient payments were made.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Pretty safe bet.

Odious yes, but TiT.

About a year ago, a British guy in a Benz killed an off-duty cop in Hua Hin in what was for all intents and purposes a high-speed hit and run. He abandoned the car and ostensibly went to hospital but left his ID and stuff in the Benz at the scene. There was never any formal arrest or determination of possible intoxication and the whole story died a very quick death where even his identity was never officially revealed. Suffice to say sufficient payments were made.

He didn't disappear? 

On 12/14/2016 at 11:13 AM, bsdthai said:

Would be interesting to see if the bike had lights, indicators, mirrors and whether the guys had helmets atleast. I worry for farang. Could be one sided unless someone can seriously check these other things out.

Drinking and driving is stupid but what about the other guys also. 

All to many times people jump in front of me intoxicated and no helmets and all it takes is a split second. Luckily i dont drink anymore but have had a no licensed underage girl just idiodically drive in front of me. She survived but it was absolutely no fault of mine but i was the bad guy. Luckily one citizen told the truth. 

Stupid guy for drink driving here though. Needs to be more advertising but i guess that costs money. Needs to be adds/billboards aimed at tourists to warn them that they will never be treated fairly so drinking and driving is a no no.

All irrelevant.  Even if they were drunk on drugs and entirely in the wrong he is still the one at fault in the Thai "legal" system.  He is Farang they are Thai therefore he is still the one who will have to pay regardless of the circumstances.

As a Farang even stopping to help after an accident you have nothing to do with can end up with you being hung out to dry.

All irrelevant.  Even if they were drunk on drugs and entirely in the wrong he is still the one at fault in the Thai "legal" system.  He is Farang they are Thai therefore he is still the one who will have to pay regardless of the circumstances.

As a Farang even stopping to help after an accident you have nothing to do with can end up with you being hung out to dry.

This myth is still being repeated?

5 hours ago, tropo said:

He didn't disappear? 

Since the media seemed to find it difficult to even name the guy, he disappeared in plain sight. Although never formally identified by the authorities, most local expats alluded to knowing who he was and some even suggested what he did for a living. Beyond alleged links to his alleged FB page, all unsubstantiated gossip of course and this case will probably go the same way.

37 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

Load of rubish he's guilty he smashed into bike pathetic attempt to turn the facts around to suit your agenda.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Pretty safe bet.

Odious yes, but TiT.

In this case the police arrived and the driver was taken to hospital.....the accident happened directly outside HH hospital. The family agreed to an out of court settlement. No charges made but it was not a hit and run.

2 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Sadly you are right. I wish it werent so. Even so called made up laws that are believed to be true can become laws when farangs are involved such as the bigger vehicles are at fault. Equality amoungst races isnt exactly a trait here.

My advice to people in similar situations which arent thrown the slammer immediately or beaten by locals should document and research asap. At best could save a few baht. A lot of persistance and smarts can assist.

If your drunk though i guess you can kiss your ass goodbye and have used as an example.

2 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Rubbish, you've been listening to too many bar stool stories!

2 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Sadly you are right. I wish it werent so. Even so called made up laws that are believed to be true can become laws when farangs are involved such as the bigger vehicles are at fault. Equality amoungst races isnt exactly a trait here.

My advice to people in similar situations which arent thrown the slammer immediately or beaten by locals should document and research asap. At best could save a few baht. A lot of persistance and smarts can assist.

If your drunk though i guess you can kiss your ass goodbye and have used as an example.

I see you and futsukayoi  drink out of the same cup then.The cup of fictitious stories.

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Rubbish, you've been listening to too many bar stool stories!

and you are living in a dream.

I have stopped to help at a number of accidents here on Samui and on three seperate occasions I have of been accused, by Thais, of causing them.

One - I just drove off.

Two - surrounded by a crowd of baying Thais demanding compensation - until two local shopkeepers stepped in and told the crowd what really happened.

Three - accused of hitting a motorbike and police were called. They came to my house and only left after A) checking my vehicle - no scratches and B) waiting for the injured rider to wake up and he admitted he hit a pothole. No other vehicle involved.

NOT bar stool stories - put more water in your drink sir.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I see you and futsukayoi  drink out of the same cup then.The cup of fictitious stories.

Please read my previous post. It cannot be ficticious if there is a police report instigated by actions from interfering Thais!

My Thai manager came to the scene of the third accident when the police were involved, and she explained to the police that I would be telling the truth.

A Thai 'lady' gave my manager an earful of abuse and told her that 'us Thais should stick together'. My manager was told off for supporting a foreigner!

The only fictious part would appear to be your unfounded comment sir.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

and you are living in a dream.

I have stopped to help at a number of accidents here on Samui and on three seperate occasions I have of been accused, by Thais, of causing them.

One - I just drove off.

Two - surrounded by a crowd of baying Thais demanding compensation - until two local shopkeepers stepped in and told the crowd what really happened.

Three - accused of hitting a motorbike and police were called. They came to my house and only left after A) checking my vehicle - no scratches and B) waiting for the injured rider to wake up and he admitted he hit a pothole. No other vehicle involved.

NOT bar stool stories - put more water in your drink sir.

I simply don't believe you, sorry.

Look, if you've really had those things happen to you I think you'd best consider leaving Thailand, I've been here 15 years in different parts of the country and nothing even remotely similar has happened, not to me, not to my my friends and not to anyone I've ever heard of or even read about!.

40 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Look, if you've really had those things happen to you I think you'd best consider leaving Thailand, I've been here 15 years in different parts of the country and nothing even remotely similar has happened, not to me, not to my my friends and not to anyone I've ever heard of or even read about!.

Ive personally stopped to render aid after motor cycle accidents, on a number of occasions.

some people flee, some stay to help.... human decency suggests helping those in need... and I do have some training, and can assist as opposed to gawk

as yet, I have seen no attempt to cast aspersions my way... and have always been thanked

but that's just my experience.... and I can not gainsay experiences of others

is this an at risk behavior, on my part, whereby I will be deemed responsible if something untoward happens to me, such as getting gang raped for my efforts ( if so, I hope it's by a bevy of beauties vs their husbands), as other suggest, in the rape threads currently running?

41 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Ive personally stopped to render aid after motor cycle accidents, on a number of occasions.

some people flee, some stay to help.... human decency suggests helping those in need... and I do have some training, and can assist as opposed to gawk

as yet, I have seen no attempt to cast aspersions my way... and have always been thanked

but that's just my experience.... and I can not gainsay experiences of others

is this an at risk behavior, on my part, whereby I will be deemed responsible if something untoward happens to me, such as getting gang raped for my efforts ( if so, I hope it's by a bevy of beauties vs their husbands), as other suggest, in the rape threads currently running?

And I've done similar at accidents big and small, on at least two occasions I've ferried people to hospital, at one incident about a month ago I even paid the victim to go to the local hospital because her hand looked broken after she hit the back of my truck on her bike. Not once has there ever been anything other than gratitude shown for helping out. Exactly why people propagate the myth that the farang is always at risk is beyond me, mostly I think it's intended to imply they know more than other people or is done to support earlier sensationalist statements they aren't able to back down from!

This is what you said and I quoted you on I can't be expected to read your mind and read a post that wasn't even there then get a grip.

But I've read it now and I say again 

I personaly don't belive a word of it.

7 hours ago, bsdthai said:

I said

He was drunk and shouldn't have been but i cant help feeling a little sorry for him, in a way it was also bad luck, if he had dropped his keys before opening the car door those few seconds delay may have been enough for the accident not to have happened. It is almost certain that if he hadn't been drunk the accident wouldn't have happened either of course and he was irresponsible but i think it safe to say that he didn't intend to kill anyone. He drove his car over the limit, like a lot of people,Thai's and farang, in my younger days i have done the same but through good fortune nothing happened, now, older and wiser i don't. 

On 12/17/2016 at 7:53 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

This myth is still being repeated?

Not a myth I know of two specific cases.  In one a Farang hit a drunk Thai who was riding down the wrong side of the road and the Farang had to pay compensation.  In the other case the Farang stopped to help in injured Thai motorcyclist.  The Thai was then convinced he would get a good payout by blaming the Farang.  The Farang was lucky as his wife taught the children of the manager of the hotel where the Thai worked and they put pressure on him to tell the truth.  Also there was a Thai witness who was a friend and refused to back down from telling the truth despite lots of pressure over siding with a Farang over a Thai.

6 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

Not a myth I know of two specific cases.  In one a Farang hit a drunk Thai who was riding down the wrong side of the road and the Farang had to pay compensation.  In the other case the Farang stopped to help in injured Thai motorcyclist.  The Thai was then convinced he would get a good payout by blaming the Farang.  The Farang was lucky as his wife taught the children of the manager of the hotel where the Thai worked and they put pressure on him to tell the truth.  Also there was a Thai witness who was a friend and refused to back down from telling the truth despite lots of pressure over siding with a Farang over a Thai.

Some police in some areas have a bias towards finding car drivers guilty more often than motorbike riders, it all depends on the circumstances however and a dash cam can usual prove extremely helpful. That having been said, car insurance is there to help pay for such expenses hence there shouldn't normally be any financial burden on the car driver, farang or Thai.

20 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Hmmm the rose coloured spectacles syndrome.

So, if it doesn't fit your model you call people a liar?

I expect that you have never been raped. Does that mean that rape does not happen? No. Of course not. Get real.

A few other mistakes in your comment. You say that you have not heard or read about it! Yes you have. You are responding to it. You just choose not to believe it. That is different.

Personally I do not care if you believe me or not. I am telling folks what can happen here on Koh Samui so that they can be aware of things. I am not talking about my experiences in the wilds of Cambodia or the far flung villages on the mainland. Everywhere is different.

None of this has ever stopped me from helping people - which I still do whenever I can. Yes I have been thanked and yes I have taken people to hospital. I have even saved one person's life but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Your comment that I should not live here just because of a few minor incidents is quite honestly laughable. I was not concerned at any time for my safety or my wallet. I do believe in the good of human kind and the sanctity of the law. Both of which prevailed in my circumstances. Just because a few bad people try and cause problems is not a reason to take your advice and run away. (My staff would be out of work if I did.)

If you cannot accept what does go on here than perhaps you should not read this forum? (I do not lie and I have lived on Samui for 16 years after first living in Thailand 23 years ago. These things have only happened to me on Koh Samui! Well - once in Hua Hin too but that is another story.)

Archived