2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

webfact

3 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

Even if it isn't your fault you'll be in the wrong mate. It happened to me a couple of years back, nightime, turning right at a busy intersection and a guy on a bike with no lights on drove across the junction and I hit him. Nobody was injured and just a small scratch on his bike but a crowd of people quickly formed, lucky the guy was ok and accepted 500 Baht for his stupidity and I left the scene as soon as I saw he was not hurt. 

wow i must have been really lucky, twice i've knocked a thai off their bike and both times the police ruled in my favor (i wasn't in the wrong on both counts btw). helps to have good insurance here i guess. stay calm, be respectful and let them deal with it, thats what the premiums are for

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Strange said:

Wait, was it said that the englishman was infact drunk AND on the wrong side of the road? Both are now confirmed?

Amazingly it seems we have a few Thai Visa members that have intimate knowledge of what went down, I can only assume they were either drinking with the guy on the night or were passengers in the vehicle.

25 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Amazingly it seems we have a few Thai Visa members that have intimate knowledge of what went down, I can only assume they were either drinking with the guy on the night or were passengers in the vehicle.

It has been reported on numerous other media along with pictures of the perpetrator exactly what happened.

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

It has been reported on numerous other media along with pictures of the perpetrator exactly what happened.

Yes but we are commenting on this thread. Maybe the TV news person needs to update with whats been reported on these other media outlets perhaps

From Stickboy.

Witnesses told police the Brit was overtaking when he hit the bike and continued driving for another kilometer before stopping. Angry bystanders who seen the accident gave chase believing Edwards was trying to flee the scene.

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

The U.K justice system isnt colour or religion blind anymore. Many reported instances of certain groups receiving dismissals or reduced sentances compared to that of other groups.

Sorry don't get your point. You agreed with me, then stated anecdotally, that the UK justice system is prejudiced. Groups? Are we talking Boyzone compared to Snow Patrol?

On 14-12-2016 at 11:46 AM, DiscoDan said:

The entrance to W resort and Soi 1 are at least 1/2 km away thats along way to drag a bike under a car.

A friend of mine who is on Samui actually saw the stopped Ford, with the crowd around it, while he was driving home. According to him, it was near the level of the entrance of Zazen resort (close to a furniture shop I don't know). When so, that spot is not far at all from the road to W (well, too far anyway for dragging two persons and a motorbike under your SUV to)... Wonder which Soi 1 they refer to in the article, when it'd be Maenam's, then it'd be more than 1km. away from the road to W, ...and in the opposite direction of Zazen.

A 'local rule' I know about for ages is: 'Farang pay', also when 'the other side' is clearly responsible for the accident...!

I was told the main 'reason' for it would be that Farangs driving a car mostly have an extensive insurance coverage, to take care of the hospital costs and material repair, ...while many a motorbike (also pick-up and car) from chao Samuis are often un-insured, when not also un-registered, not speaking about the driver having a licence, or not! This 'allows' the local police to swiftly 'resolve' the situation, in favour of the involved Thai, at the expense of the pressured(!) (when not menaced) Farang...

More recently, I have heard a, Thai(!), lady we know well, who resides on Samui, was at a standstill in her car, registered in Phuket(!), indicators on, on Samui's main road, close to the middle line, waiting to safely drive into the entrance of Big C's parking (coming from Chaweng), when her car was hit (front right) by a(n unregistered, uninsured, as later appeared) motorcy with two boys of about 14 on (so a definitely unlicensed driver...)(and no helmets on), coming from the opposite direction, which had 'jumped out', to over the middle of the road, to, blindly, overtake a SUV (on the wrong part of the road for motorcys then too).

Guess what, the police arrived, as the two boys were wounded (no big thing, luckily); the motorcy was 'out', ...and the BiBs 'pressured' (you know what I mean...) the lady to take the full responsibility for the accident on herself, ...justifying this by the fact she had full insurance coverage anyway, and it would be no problem like that for the boys to be taken care of at hospital, and the motorbike to be repaired! Needless to say the boys, and their families, were chao Samuis, and the BiBs Southerners. So it seems even non- chao Samui Thais are victims of this scam (no ther name for it)!

Beware!!!

To my knowledge, the amount of compensation paid to bereaved families and any prison time that might be served depends on how influential and wealthy they are and what if any sway they have locally.

He will need a negotiator fast, like yesterday, regardless of whether he's over the limit or not. I can imagine there will be many wannabe fixers coming out of the woodwork looking for a fast buck. Of that he needs to be aware.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

That was never the issue.

I posted a link to a chart and YOU asked where was the timeline/frame, I replied the chart didn't need a time frame and, despite all your bluster,  it still doesn't need one!

Presumably the coin dropped with you somewhere between then and now, finally!

Thats cool Bro, you finally agreed a timeframe of consumption does matter, that's all I was concerned with.

Bravo.

From other articles online, it seems pretty clear that the English guy was drunk, when driving. He even dragged the motorbike under the car for quite a distance to before he finally stopped. 

Seems little proof that the he was not at fault. However, now he will suffer what seems to be the well-deserved consequences of his totally stupid actions. Whatever people think or say, we have to remember that 2 people are dead because of this. The Farang just ruined his entire life and I can only feel sad on behalf of his wife and family. He deserves whatever the Thai Court System will throw at him.

Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. Hopefully others can learn from this...

3 minutes ago, khunpa said:

From other articles online, it seems pretty clear that the English guy was drunk, when driving. He even dragged the motorbike under the car for quite a distance to before he finally stopped. 

Seems little proof that the he was not at fault. However, now he will suffer what seems to be the well-deserved consequences of his totally stupid actions. Whatever people think or say, we have to remember that 2 people are dead because of this. The Farang just ruined his entire life and I can only feel sad on behalf of his wife and family. He deserves whatever the Thai Court System will throw at him.

Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. Hopefully others can learn from this...

any links to these "other articles  online"?

Picture of the car involved, easily found with a little common sense - look at the damage, how could a driver possibly not know they had hit something and then keep on driving, unless they were totally arsed:

Drunk Brit Arrested For Killing Two In Samui Road Accident

Above picture originates from a google search as follows: drunk englishmen kills two koh samui

31 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Picture of the car involved, easily found with a little common sense - look at the damage, how could a driver possibly not know they had hit something and then keep on driving, unless they were totally arsed:

Above picture originates from a google search as follows: drunk englishmen kills two koh samui

The Everest has active noise cancellation and it is pretty good !

any links to the articles  stating a BAC of .135 ?

3 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

A picture of the car involved in the crash, from an English language site in Thailand, obtained via a google search, based on the term, "drunk englishmen kills two koh samui", the web site beginning, "stic".

Any links or google search terms to the articles  stating a BAC of .135 ?

And BTW, if you bothered to read the OP you would know the driver knew he hit something, He told the police he did.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:50 PM, Thaidream said:

This is  sad situation- looking at the marks on the car and the positioning of the motorbike I would venture a guess that the strike was fronal and the bike turned into the car's path of travel. I am in no way exonerating the car driver. He was impaired, possibly driving too fast and it was dark and 2 people are dead.  If he has insurance the insurance will most likely pay off everything including compensation to the family of the deceased. However, he faces a felony charge of driving while intoxicated and causing death. In the West- jail for sure. In Thailand- negotiation .

The roads in rural areas are dimly lit with motorcycles and all methods of contraptions all over the road and cars drive way too fast for conditions and being impaired raises the odds of an accident exponentially.

I doubt if he was impaired / drunk the insurance will most likely pay anything out. He will also be gorged by legal representation I am guessing.

3 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Here's an interesting chart that puts his BAC into perspective:

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php

Maybe this this attached chart will better explain sobriety, or lack there off... if .135 is true... it would certainly explain why the driver didn't know he had just killed two people.

IMG_3158.PNG

4 minutes ago, james.d said:

I doubt if he was impaired / drunk the insurance will most likely pay anything out. He will also be gorged by legal representation I am guessing.

As an aside: I still cannot find any insurance company here to provide a rental vehicle if an accident occurs and it was proved I was not in the wrong.

Ive not read anywhere mentioning he was driving a rental.

Archived