2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

webfact

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Not a myth I know of two specific cases.  In one a Farang hit a drunk Thai who was riding down the wrong side of the road and the Farang had to pay compensation.  In the other case the Farang stopped to help in injured Thai motorcyclist.  The Thai was then convinced he would get a good payout by blaming the Farang.  The Farang was lucky as his wife taught the children of the manager of the hotel where the Thai worked and they put pressure on him to tell the truth.  Also there was a Thai witness who was a friend and refused to back down from telling the truth despite lots of pressure over siding with a Farang over a Thai.

It's a myth to say it always happens. 

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I also have lived in a variety of locations in Thailand and I've had my fair share of accidents/situations involving locals and the police, never once have I been falsely accused, never once have I been asked to pay when I wasn't at fault. I suspect therefore that one of could be lucky where the other is not, or words along those lines. What is perfectly clear though is that your claim that the legal system favours locals over farangs and farangs always have to pay, is rubbish.

I agree and that is also my personal experience.

Having First Class insurance is essential to protect you against any risk of outlandish claims from Thais - many of whom may well try it on. To be able to respond - "it is out of my hands speak to the insurance company' is a great comfort.

3 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Not taking issue with you.

Just pointing out to some other posters that they might need to go beyond the idea that a farang will cop the blame simply because they're a farang.

If you think farang are treated the same as thais you are either naive or blind as it would be like saying rich Thais are treated the same as poor Thais.  TIT it is feudal and won't be changing anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

If you think farang are treated the same as thais you are either naive or blind as it would be like saying rich Thais are treated the same as poor Thais.  TIT it is feudal and won't be changing anytime soon.

We're told that's true in Koh Samui currently, not so in Chiang Mai province thankfully.

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Exactly...I think you've just supported my point...it's not always about whether you're a farang or not.

Exactly...I think you've just supported my point...it's not always about whether you're a farang or not.

that's right it's:

rich thais

middle thais

poor thais

farang 

RIP to the two men who died. I'm sad for them - and their families.

I NEVER even drink alcohol in Thailand. And after this I'm thanking god.

The farang driver had 4 years to know better. His life will never be the same.

The taxi mafia is not cheap transpo on Samui, but you just can NOT drink & drive.

Look at his vehicle, he can afford a d*mn taxi !!!

You need 1st class insurance and there will never be a problem , unless you kill someone of course....

It's a myth that Thais will attack you just because you're a farang if you get involved in an accident. Of course it could happen but that would be like in 2% of the cases. 

On 12/18/2016 at 10:29 PM, LannaGuy said:

that's right it's:

rich thais

middle thais

poor thais

farang 

Super rich Thai's get a total free pass, no questions asked.

Super rich farangs get the same 'above the law' consideration as a rich Thai (but no free pass like a super rich Thai gets).

Rich farangs have to fork out a fair bit (a bit more than a rich Thai would).

Everyone else on down is the same as a middle/poor Thai (banged up and broke.)

On 12/13/2016 at 9:49 PM, laislica said:

Just a thought, will the 2 Thai men's bodies be checked for drugs and alcohol?

Yes and, if positive, then 10-15 yrs w/o parole...maybe even the death penalty.

He should get what he deserves. 

However let us not forget about all the Thais that drink and drive which is normal for them.

Look at all the cars parked next to bars in the evening, most are plastered and then go driving. Police should be doing raids in places like these instead they are too busy with giving out fines to morobike drivers. Show up only when someone gets killed.

12 hours ago, sup3r1or said:

He should get what he deserves. 

However let us not forget about all the Thais that drink and drive which is normal for them.

Look at all the cars parked next to bars in the evening, most are plastered and then go driving. Police should be doing raids in places like these instead they are too busy with giving out fines to morobike drivers. Show up only when someone gets killed.

It's not going to happen, this lucky fool has probably 'gotten away with it' for a lack of a better term. Nothing has been said since his arrest and it has been hushed away, leading one to think money has changed hands and that is the end of that 

26 minutes ago, JustNo said:

It's not going to happen, this lucky fool has probably 'gotten away with it' for a lack of a better term. Nothing has been said since his arrest and it has been hushed away, leading one to think money has changed hands and that is the end of that 

Do you really think you get arrested here then go to court immediately ?

Like most places, preparation of the defence/prosecution take time and it will take months until he appears in a court room.

He will not pay his way out of this.

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Do you really think you get arrested here then go to court immediately ?

Like most places, preparation of the defence/prosecution take time and it will take months until he appears in a court room.

He will not pay his way out of this.

They need not go to court to hear from the media and sources of what is happening. The last anybody heard is that blood was going to be taken, just seems too quiet as a whole for him to still being held which I highly doubt he is 

On 12/18/2016 at 10:29 AM, LannaGuy said:

that's right it's:

rich thais

middle thais

poor thais

farang 

After farang (assuming just white foreigners), then it's:

rich Asians
middle Asians

poor Asians

rich blacks

middle blacks

poor blacks

Therefore, it ain't that bad for a farang.

On 17/12/2016 at 5:42 PM, chiang mai said:

And I've done similar at accidents big and small, on at least two occasions I've ferried people to hospital, at one incident about a month ago I even paid the victim to go to the local hospital because her hand looked broken after she hit the back of my truck on her bike. Not once has there ever been anything other than gratitude shown for helping out. Exactly why people propagate the myth that the farang is always at risk is beyond me, mostly I think it's intended to imply they know more than other people or is done to support earlier sensationalist statements they aren't able to back down from!

Mostly I agree with what you're saying, but the big difference with the incidences that you're referring to is that no-one died, and when someone dies in an accident here it changes everything. 

If the accident results in injuries it's mostly about who's gonna pay the hospital bills, which are decided by the hospital staff and the treatment and procedures they perform on the injured parties, and those fees are both finite and tangible. However, when someone dies in an accident here it then becomes a free for all and it all comes down to negotiations and (importantly), who can afford to pay the most. From this perspective it's often presumed to be the farang who can afford to pay the most... or who has insurance... because (in most instances) the object of the exercise is not retribution, revenge or a desire to see the wrongdoer being punished... Those are all intangibles, and have little/no bearing on the well-being of the nearest and dearest of the deceased.? The object of the exercise is to suitably compensate the family of the deceased for the loss of their loved one... Nothing will bring them back from the dead, but financial compensation may help to ease the burden and the loss felt by the deceased's loved ones who, assuming they are Buddhists, most likely believe that before too long the deceased will be back in the land of the living, albeit in a different guise... 

All of which raises an interesting sociological point: What is more important - that society punishes the wrongdoer and the best interests of the "victims" (in a case such as this, the nearest and dearest of the deceased) are largely ignored (e.g. the wrongdoer receives a prison term and there is no, or perhaps minimal, financial compensation for the "victims")? Or that society takes a back seat and accepts that provided the "victims" are satisfied with the outcome (e.g. a financial settlement) then all is well and justice has been served, even if that means that the wrongdoer is free to walk the streets ...? Or should that decision be made by the "victims" on a case-by-case basis?

I think it would be very interesting to know how many "victims" in the US, Australia, NZ, and Europe would choose an outcome that resulted in them receiving U$ 1 million... U$ 3 million... or even U$ 5 million in a case such as this, over an outcome that resulted in the perpetrator being jailed and no compensation being offered to the "victims"... I've a sneaky suspicion that if the option was offered, the scales would fall in the direction of those opting to take the cash... So what does that tell us about the system here that so many are complaining about...?

Per usual Thai Visa .... a story but never any back up. The guys car is still laid up behind Maenam police station as it has been since the incident. What is happening, I am not sure. The rest I shall leave to the TV detectives.

On 14/12/2016 at 0:46 PM, al007 said:

We can not judge we do not have the facts yet or even the blood alcohol level

The man does however look a bit guilty to say the least

The odds are not in his favor

But this is the reason I always have my car camera running, we do not know what the cyclists did, or even if they had rear lights working

Drinking and driving is unacceptable, these days when out and drinking my wife drives home she has one glass of wine and thats it

In years gone by that could have been me, and many others, lets not forget that

Whatever God Bless the man, he is not going to have a Happy Christmas

We can not judge... And then you do.

On 15/12/2016 at 7:45 AM, baansgr said:

The U.K justice system isnt colour or religion blind anymore. Many reported instances of certain groups receiving dismissals or reduced sentances compared to that of other groups.

Sorry, clarify please, you sound like you're contradicting yourself.

On 1/8/2017 at 11:14 PM, South said:

Per usual Thai Visa .... a story but never any back up. The guys car is still laid up behind Maenam police station as it has been since the incident. What is happening, I am not sure. The rest I shall leave to the TV detectives.

Thanks for that South, something solid anyway.

Are we to take it that there is no informed bar room talk at all? 

Archived