Foreign English teacher attacked and raped in rice paddy - rapist hunted in Bangkok

webfact

The reflexive accusations of 'victim blaming' here show just how much 3rd wave feminism has restricted dialogue and thought.

Highlighting a victim's poor judgment or naiveté can be legitimate, but it does not remove responsibility from the criminal. If I lent my car to a complete stranger and never saw it again, I would fully expect everyone here to come down on me for being an idiot. And they would be right to do so. But that wouldn't mean that the thief is any less responsible for the theft. However, if you said that I made the thief steal my car by giving her the keys at her request, thereby reducing her responsibility, you'd be crossing into the territory of 'blaming the victim'.

What I see here is a number of people saying that this lady showed poor judgement while at the same time not diminishing the responsibility of the two men involved. I'm not convinced that such posters deserve to be accused of victim blaming.  

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lostinisaan said:

Sitting between two guys who maybe never had sex with a woman before. 

Would a woman back home sit between two unknown drunk guys on a Moped? 

I'm not blaming the victim at all, too many people just don't know what's behind all the different smiles.

I wouldn't even sit between them as a man and prefer to walk back, accidents happen too often and driving with unknown drunk guys can't be fun at all.  

Considering so many rapists the last weeks, it seems that it's just the top of the iceberg what we read in the news. How many of them are too ashamed and don't go to the cops? 

Maybe a new version of farang-deaths needs to be considered if these attacks continue. 

I have a lot of sympathy for the victim , but it is just plain stupid to ask for a ride with 2 strangers on a bike in Thailand.  

But she didn't know better ,  there should be a warning sign at the airport. 

Just  give t he  guy  they  caught enough stuff,  and maybe  he will  rat  out  his buddy  of

where  this  rapist  is  at  in Bangkok  or  where  ever . Water boarding,  nice  method.

so  is  a  few methods  that  were  perfected  in  WW11

42 minutes ago, hdkane said:

Thai men operate with such impunity that they think nothing about just dropping off the victim in a public market...I wouldn't be surprised if some rapes simply occur in public, as they do in India

Do you really mean ALL Thai men?

6 hours ago, Docno said:

The reflexive accusations of 'victim blaming' here show just how much 3rd wave feminism has restricted dialogue and thought.

Highlighting a victim's poor judgment or naiveté can be legitimate, but it does not remove responsibility from the criminal. If I lent my car to a complete stranger and never saw it again, I would fully expect everyone here to come down on me for being an idiot. And they would be right to do so. But that wouldn't mean that the thief is any less responsible for the theft. However, if you said that I made the thief steal my car by giving her the keys at her request, thereby reducing her responsibility, you'd be crossing into the territory of 'blaming the victim'.

What I see here is a number of people saying that this lady showed poor judgement while at the same time not diminishing the responsibility of the two men involved. I'm not convinced that such posters deserve to be accused of victim blaming.  

Here here.

If my daughter called me from Thailand and told me it was dark, she was on a quiet country lane walking home...but not to worry because two 'nice'  MALE strangers (who may have appeared slightly or totally inebriated) had just offered to give me a lift on the back of their MOTORBIKE I would have told her to politely NOT accept the lift and walk away.....wouldnt you? If not WHY NOT?.....I would have told her it was a bad idea to accept a lift at night on the back of a motorbike with two possibly inebriated male strangers....I would have said she was using POOR JUDGEMENT.......which DOES  imply some personal responsibility!!! Does it not?

Edited by 248900_1469958220

17 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And you'd think that since we are no longer living in neanderthal times victim blaming would not take place.

You might think that since we no longer live in neanderthal times rape would no longer take place either, but it does. A little common sense would have saved this woman a lot of grief. When the PM said " women in skimpy dress are like unwrapped candy" he was being realistic, men rape women, men rape women who are soft targets, and this woman fit the bill.

21 minutes ago, johna said:

You might think that since we no longer live in neanderthal times rape would no longer take place either, but it does. A little common sense would have saved this woman a lot of grief. When the PM said " women in skimpy dress are like unwrapped candy" he was being realistic, men rape women, men rape women who are soft targets, and this woman fit the bill.

Victim blaming is wrong.

The only one's who are to blame in this case are the rapists.

The views you express on what is realistic, when referring to how women dress, are not only wrong but are straight from the rapists defence manual.

Blame the rapists.

No one else is to blame.

Edited by Bluespunk

The Thai women would not be walking alone at night in most places, even if they were ladies of the evening.  Might be a good idea for people to use common sense.  Would you drink for five hours and jump on a motorbike in your own country?  You would be lucky to end up in jail.  Foreigners do it every day.  This is terrible, and the guilty must be sentenced.  Another ratchet  click tighter for continually strained Thai-Farang relations....never been worse in my 18 years coming here.  The farang will pay a price for their crime and her carelessness, too.  That incident in Pai pretty much sealed the deal on the biggest alcohol crackdowns since Prohibition.  Even if the perps paid the ultimate price; there would still be the growing element of blame and distrust, accompanied by more visa restrictions, bar raids, piss tests, and overcharges.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

On 14/12/2016 at 11:35 AM, fruitman said:

Well she wasn't Thai and obviously trusted the Thai...

I think ALL foreign teachers should get paid better so they can afford a real taxi, especially upcountry...of course that wouldn't happen so this scandal sets Thailand back in time while the other Asian countries learn english and get the business worldwide.

In rural Thailand there ARE NO taxis. I live 6 km from Klong Lan Pattana in rural Khampaeng Phet, There are some baht buses that go the other way up to KPP and a couple of motorcycle taxis that dont go far.

There is NO regular public transport that comes out my way.

AFAIK there are no taxis based in KPP either. Motorcycle taxis and samlors are around mostly based around BigC and the market area.

If you go on to Google Earth and look for Pran Kratai, it is about 50 km from KPP and in the middle of Nakhon Nowhere.

There are not many Thai people, men or women, out here that walk alone at night anyway.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In rural Thailand there ARE NO taxis. I live 6 km from Klong Lan Pattana in rural Khampaeng Phet, There are some baht buses that go the other way up to KPP and a couple of motorcycle taxis that dont go far.

There is NO regular public transport that comes out my way.

AFAIK there are no taxis based in KPP either. Motorcycle taxis and samlors are around mostly based around BigC and the market area.

If you go on to Google Earth and look for Pran Kratai, it is about 50 km from KPP and in the middle of Nakhon Nowhere.

There are not many Thai people, men or women, out here that walk alone at night anyway.

Then Thailand should teach them english another way, just like the CP-academy for who wants to work in the 711.

Before the kids come to BKK to find a job they have to go to an academy where they learn english, how to behave in a city, use escalators/elevators/malls/hygiene/calculator/wear shoes/don't pick nose and so on.....the teachers can also live close to those academies or maybe rent a room on the campus.

Sounds funny but there's no other way to do it.

So the reward for poor judgement in this case is to be hit several times by the rapist and raped for 2 hours.   Totally unsatisfactory.

One can only hope the maggots get hauled before a judge and given some jail time.  

7 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

If my daughter called me from Thailand and told me it was dark, she was on a quiet country lane walking home...but not to worry because two 'nice'  MALE strangers (who may have appeared slightly or totally inebriated) had just offered to give me a lift on the back of their MOTORBIKE I would have told her to politely NOT accept the lift and walk away.....wouldnt you? If not WHY NOT?.....I would have told her it was a bad idea to accept a lift at night on the back of a motorbike with two possibly inebriated male strangers....I would have said she was using POOR JUDGEMENT.......which DOES  imply some personal responsibility!!! Does it not?

The responsibility lies with the men not to rape.

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The responsibility lies with the men not to rape.

Yeah, in fairyland that probably is the way things roll....In the real world however it prudent to use common sense and take precautions. I was taught to use good judgement by my parents because they were aware that fairyland, though a good ideal doesnt exist. There are bad people out there that will take advantage of the naive.

Edited by 248900_1469958220

7 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Yeah, in fairyland that probably is the way things roll....In the real world however it prudent to use common sense and take precautions. I was taught to use good judgement by my parents because they were aware that fairyland, though a good ideal doesnt exist. There are bad people out there that will take advantage of the naive.

No, it's the real world.

In the real world scum who rape need to be blamed for rape.

Not their victims after they have suffered traumatic assault.

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Victim blaming is wrong.

The only one's who are to blame in this case are the rapists.

The views you express on what is realistic, when referring to how women dress, are not only wrong but are straight from the rapists defence manual.

Blame the rapists.

No one else is to blame.

I'm not blaming the victim, I'm saying women need to be more cautious,  use more common sense.  

There's no way this woman would have got on the back of a motorcycle with two strangers in South Africa, why did she do it here??

You are not helping anybody by saying "The only one's who are to blame in this case are the rapists."  its like saying  "go ahead, enjoy yourself, get drunk, get on the back of a motorbike with total strangers, whatever happens, its not your fault"

33 minutes ago, johna said:

I'm not blaming the victim, I'm saying women need to be more cautious,  use more common sense.  

There's no way this woman would have got on the back of a motorcycle with two strangers in South Africa, why did she do it here??

So you are blaming the victim. This is not South Africa it is Thailand where "NO Thai would do that"  would they ?

38 minutes ago, johna said:

You are not helping anybody by saying "The only one's who are to blame in this case are the rapists."  its like saying  "go ahead, enjoy yourself, get drunk, get on the back of a motorbike with total strangers, whatever happens, its not your fault"

I'm sorry but you are blaming the victim.

As for what I'm doing...stop blaming the victim and I won't need to do it.

Rapists are scum and they alone are to blame.

Edited by Bluespunk