Bars/HappyHours....New, New Lows......

KhonKaenKowboy

I would volunteer but just had a newborn, but don't mind organising it remotely and I wi

l try to turn up depending on the date.  I assume a weekend is most people's preferred choice?

I will start a separate thread gathering potential interests

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

i went past the happy hour bar wilth the illegal sign outside the other day on my way to the un irish for my usual fish and mash with brown sauce ( wait for the uproar of the usual thai visa keyboard warriers ) and the sign is still there !

the police havnt knocked on my door or the bars yet or immigration so i guess nobody cares about having illegal signs outside your bar advertising expensive beer :(

un irish fish mash brown sauce 19 jan 17 20170119_155930.jpg

I like your taste in music. :)

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

i went past the happy hour bar wilth the illegal sign outside the other day on my way to the un irish for my usual fish and mash with brown sauce ( wait for the uproar of the usual thai visa keyboard warriers ) and the sign is still there !

the police havnt knocked on my door or the bars yet or immigration so i guess nobody cares about having illegal signs outside your bar advertising expensive beer :(

dave2

happy hour bar sign 19 jan 17 20170119_145337.jpg

555 I like that sign..."We Have beer as Cold as Your Ex Girlfriends Heart"  :smile:

On 1/15/2017 at 2:57 AM, stament said:

are there any bars that are happy and serve happy hour drinks? too much negativity on here, lets get some positives.

Regrettably even if there are some happy bars, they are always in danger of being visited by unhappy people. There are a lot of very drunk people in the tourist areas of CM and there is a considerable amount of aggression on display as well.

I really hope CM can pick itself up and get back on its feet, i would like to see some positives as well.

3 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Regrettably even if there are some happy bars, they are always in danger of being visited by unhappy people. There are a lot of very drunk people in the tourist areas of CM and there is a considerable amount of aggression on display as well.

Mostly very (VERY) late at night, like 3am.  Not much aggression on display I think up until midnight/1pm.  It's actually remarkably friendly, a lot more than nightlife in big European cities.

Before that there are a handful of Farang drunks, most of them quite harmless.   On the occasion I've seen one cross a line I was amazed by how well bar ladies handle it, quite the sight to see this little Thai woman go off on some guy who very VERY quickly started apologizing and going home. :) 

4 hours ago, dave2 said:

No need to show photos and identify the place .

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No need to show photos and identify the place

<deleted> another surmud63

go on then sherlock

identify the bar from this pic taken this morning :)

street name or gps coordinates will do :)

dave2 

happy hour bar sign 23 jan 17 20170123_121129~01.jpg

Edited by dave2

Just now, dave2 said:

<deleted> another surmud63

go on then sherlock

identify the bar from this pic taken this morning :)

street name or gps coordinates will do :)

dave2 

I was in there last night .

The owner was wearing a red stripey dress and cheering Chelsea on 

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

was in there last night .

ok fair enough tell me whats next door then and then neither of us have

identified the bar :)

dave2

ps the police were too busy having three helmet checks round the moat

this morning to worry about illegal bar signs

proves they have their priorities right ... ##### the law lets make some money !

police helmet check 23 jan 17 20170123_112600~01.jpg

police helmet check 23 jan 17 20170123_115042~01.jpg

police helmet check 23 jan 17 20170123_120052~01.jpg

3 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

To be honest if I had a bar like that and catering to Western/Anglo clientele I'd find a synonym for Happy.

Write 'Joyful Hour' and every customer gets it, yet it flies miles over Sergeant Terdsuck's cap.

This was actually the case in a French skiing resort, where the authorities had also banned Happy Hour.

Though I think the bar staff had to explain the sign to most customers, as the chosen euphemism was someone’s grizzly hour, or something equally strange. Possibly an internal joke among the staffers.

3 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

To be honest if I had a bar like that and catering to Western/Anglo clientele I'd find a synonym for Happy.

Write 'Joyful Hour' and every customer gets it, yet it flies miles over Sergeant Terdsuck's cap.

It would still be illegal, whatever they called it 

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

I was in there last night .

It must have been a blue dress surely if she was cheering Chelsea.

More importantly, was it her happy hour or yours?

Edited by scottiejohn

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

It must have been a blue dress surely if she was cheering Chelsea.

More importantly, was it her happy hour or yours?

Shes supports Man U .

She needed Chelsea to win by 2 clear goals and a few other results to go her way

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Just walking down Chang Klan road tonight and noticed that all the Karaoke places have gone . 

There did used to be about ten of them along the road and Chiang mai land .

Must have been a licenceing issue

This city is no fun anymore , just stay home and try to entertain yourself , invite your neighbor  and turn up the volume. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

This city is no fun anymore , just stay home and try to entertain yourself , invite your neighbor  and turn up the volume. 

well Ms. Balo, if this city is not fun any longer--what good luck that you have property in other of Thailand's cities. Nice knowing you

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Just walking down Chang Klan road tonight and noticed that all the Karaoke places have gone . 

good they were world class rip off joints hope the girls now go to the............... bars!

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

same as the one on Chiangmai-Lamphun road (deserted). someone has opened a can of whoopass on these places.

33 minutes ago, piewarmer said:

same as the one on Chiangmai-Lamphun road (deserted). someone has opened a can of whoopass on these places.

Yeah, now that you mention it.. Are you sure though the didn't just move inside?

Also: could be temporary due to the high level visit to Chiang Mai last week, and one dignitary residing at Fort Kawila. 

5 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Yeah, now that you mention it.. Are you sure though the didn't just move inside?

Also: could be temporary due to the high level visit to Chiang Mai last week, and one dignitary residing at Fort Kawila. 

Wait and see, haven't seen the pretties outside for a month or more, just a few Thai blokes eating noodles one night.

10 hours ago, piewarmer said:

Its heaps more fun without the Karaoke mafia. Magnificent to see them gone.

What is even better , the Tuk tuk guys no longer keep stopping at nights and trying to take you to a karaoke place , showing a big photo of girls in swimwear.

I noticed that tonight , they used to be a constant hassle, now they are no more

On 1/24/2017 at 11:55 PM, sanemax said:

What is even better , the Tuk tuk guys no longer keep stopping at nights and trying to take you to a karaoke place , showing a big photo of girls in swimwear.

I noticed that tonight , they used to be a constant hassle, now they are no more

Too busy trying to compete with Uber.