Are there any truly dangerous places in Thailand?

eldragon

2 hours ago, DDBKK said:

There's a couple in BKK that I wouldn't recommend hanging around especially if you've had a drink. 

To the left of the main road (Ratchadamnoen Klang road) down by khao san/grand palace. There's a neighbourhood there that's pretty sketchy at night. 

Klong toei also has a reputation although I've never personally heard of anyone encountering it. 

In saying that I've foolishly ended up in some random locations in the early hours of the morning after a hard night out and never felt in the slightest bit threatened anywhere in Thailand. 

The Thais do tend to have a "you don't <deleted> with me and I won't <deleted> with you" kinda attitude. Which is nice. 

Oh, almost forgot. Kho Tao is a worthy mention. Clearly some VERY dangerous people in charge there.

I agree. I would say Dark Tao is clearly the most dangerous place in the entire country. Many shady mafia types that run the island, and the police are in their employ.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

The biggest danger will always be lady boys on yaba. However they don't use knives or guns, just big hands grabbing your nuts and another grabbing your wallet

With both hands occupied thus, I'm afraid to ask how they clock you over the head with their stiletto heel...  3rd hand, or scarier appendage?

With both hands occupied thus, I'm afraid to ask how they clock you over the head with their stiletto heel...  3rd hand, or scarier appendage?

Yes they do use the heels and they can be deadly but not for a wallet grab. Usually it's over a non payment or some westerner freaking out and getting physical at being touched up.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Now here is a more specific question : Next month I'll be arriving at night at MoChit busstation . I want to stay there 'till the morning busses start driving ... will I get robbed there with my bags ?

Very highly unlikely.

18 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Yes they do use the heels and they can be deadly but not for a wallet grab. Usually it's over a non payment or some westerner freaking out and getting physical at being touched up.

I was reminded of the old joke about getting my prostate checked and realizing the doc had both hands on my shoulders.

Its a lottery, as in a lot of places in countries in the world. If you end up in the wrong place (unspecified) at the wrong time, your ticket could easily be punched if you haven't read the signs right.

Some places up the ante a bit due to those that occupy said places. Take quiet little Phitsanulok for instance. On the outside, a really nice little city without much apparently going on. If you're not in the know, not really much nightlife either. However, it is also provincial/Northern headquarters of the Army, Police, Forestry Rangers, Royal Thai Air Force. I mention this as it vastly increases the number of people armed (legal or illegal) out at night. Also famous for keeping certain 'events' in-house, events that never make the media (that likely should!).

IMO, All of Thailand is luck-of-the-draw, 99% safe to those minding there own business...........................:smile:

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree. I would say Dark Tao is clearly the most dangerous place in the entire country. Many shady mafia types that run the island, and the police are in their employ.

+1 Koh Tao gets my vote 

56 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Now here is a more specific question : Next month I'll be arriving at night at MoChit busstation . I want to stay there 'till the morning busses start driving ... will I get robbed there with my bags ?

No. You will be in a bus station. 

All depends on what you are doing. If you are a normal tourist or expat, not engaged in any shady business, it is the safest country I have ever lived in, though Japan and Singapore would probably top the list. The most dangerous place I ever lived was Oakland, Ca, U.S.A. where 11 people were murdered within 100 yards of my apartment in the last 2 months I lived there. Never ever felt threatened here in 35 years, except for the very occasional drunken farang.

There's a stretch of road that runs between Mae Sa and Doi Tung, it runs right along the border along a ridge and is gated at both ends by Thai military with sandbagged machine gun emplacement set up - daytime travellers are checked in at one end and allowed four hours to exit 22 kms further along before a serach team goes looking for them - the road is closed at 4pm and at night it's bandit territory with drug and people smugglers crossing over into Thailand from Myanmar. On the map the road is marked as a scenic tourist road or similar!

It's a scary road in the day time, brilliant views on both sides by scary because of what and where it is - after dark that place is truly dangerous and tops my list.

Koh Phangan for 5 days with the full moon on day 3,

Koh Tao for 5 days from 'full moon +1' (they're fed by the full moon party),

Anywhere within a 500m radius of Soi Green Mango in darkness except the new shopping mall on Samui.

'Four wheels and a roof' minimum standard re mode(s) of transport.

Visitors to the archapeligao rarely encounter probs if they stick to the above.

Just my 2p

Edited by evadgib

I thought that Nakhon Si Thammarat down South was known as the "murder capital of Thailand".  My girlfriend lived there for many years (but some time ago) and events in her neighbourhood confirm that the reputation was well deserved with many knifings and shootings every month, mainly outside bars, as you might expect, but also several mafia style murders.

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

Stay in the lighted areas & you will be safe enough....

2 hours ago, FlorC said:

Be polite, stay sober, look after your belongings, don't get talked into anything by strangers and you'll be just fine. Pretty much the same advice you might recieve if in the UK.

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The most dangerous places in Thailand are the roads,many people killed everyday,

its the only place in Thailand I don't really feel safe.

regards Worgeordie

Agreed!  I would suggest a newcomer who puts his/her faith in a pedestrian (Zebra) crossing would be a sort stay visitor.

Other than that, rent a scooter, don't bother about a helmet.   R.I.P.

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The most dangerous places in Thailand are the roads,many people killed everyday,

its the only place in Thailand I don't really feel safe.

regards Worgeordie

You won't get a better answer than this. I'm on edge every time I go out and have completely lost my nerve to drive here. No matter how well you drive there is so much that is outside your control. How do you deal with someone hurtling towards you on your side of the road, flashing their lights to get out of their way when there is no room to do so? What to do when someone pulls out of a side road right in front of you without even a glance to see if it's safe? I let my wife drive and she is a very good driver, but I feel I'm only marking time until I or we are killed or seriously injured on the road.

ANYWHERE, be aware of your surroundings, If something does not look/feel right or you’re getting the wrong body vibrations-get the HELL out of there. Like we you to say in the USAF-“CHECK SIX”- in other words keep looking behind you.  Do not be an innocent victim of circumstances!!

I have always heard that "Klong Toi" is a notorious slum district in Bangkok and if you walk into the heart of that slum area and all by yourself, you may regret it ...especially at night....I was told.

I do not know if that is true or not,  but you can go down there and find out for yourself if you really want to confirm where exactly trouble and danger can be found in Thailand ..or at least in Bangkok.

Keep us posted and let us know what happens...

Other than that if you really want to experience well known and dangerous areas and numerous locals found there within, then I suggest you travel up to any one of the numerous illicit drug trafficking border districts between Burma and Thailand and announce you want to buy a whole shit load of Burmese Opium and or Ya Ba pills....for cash money carried on you.

You may get more danger than you bargained for and end up dead as that is about as dangerous as you can get...I surmise

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

If you are alone, as a foreigner, I would avoid the small karaoke bars, pubs and discos where only thai local youngsters 13 - 21yo sitting around in Cliques and getting drunk and filling themselves up with Yabaa / Ice / Meth. These places are easy to spot: Usually on the outskirts far away from the tourist areas, with very dark lighting, cheap shabby decor, no bouncers, only with motorcycles in the parking lot and with only one foreigner inside: you.

Edited by tomacht8