Dhammachayo arrest on hold as warrant expires; temple faces more than 100 complaints

rooster59

Dhammachayo arrest on hold as warrant expires; temple faces more than 100 complaints

By The Nation

749cdb28c5c55f0de2fd41bad23517ad-sld.jpeg

AS THE search warrant authorising the Department of Special Investigation to enter the Dhammakaya Temple to arrest former abbot Phra Dhammachayo expired last night, police revealed that the temple now faces more than 100 complaints for various offences.

Ongart Thamnita, the spokesman for followers of the temple, could also be arrested on sight after a court approved a warrant for his arrest on Thursday, a police source said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302275

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-17

These warrants are pointless unless someone got the grit to enforce them.

Total joke from first word to the last, time for action and enforcing law and equal standards regardless of social standing and clothes colour.

This temple is a stiff finger in the face of law and Buddhism and needs sorting asap ...

I thought that when an arrest warrant is issued it lasts until the named person has been arrested.  Not so in Thailand apparently, as the warrant has a time limit on it and the process has to start all over again if the named person is not caught, or in this case, has not popped in for a cup of coffee and a biscuit.  

This seems to be a very convenient system for the police and/or DSI when they want to keep delaying the arrest.  The non-arrest of the Abbott's spokesman and the injury to a police officer by one of their drones just adds to the appearance of total incompetence, which surely by now must have social media here and abroad in fits of laughter. 

"One of the two drones used by the DSI to survey the temple compound, apparently malfunctioned yesterday and fell on the head of an unnamed official, causing a bleeding head wound. DSI officials picked up the drone and left the temple’s seventh gate without commenting to the media."

In next week's instalment, they'll be back with the clown car and some custard pies... 

Once the suspect is positively identified and located ( and if the building is strong enough ), two or three supersonic booms at 1000 feet, while some forty serious troops are abseiling on strategic spots from helicopters , should do the trick for any arrest where the usual road access is not possible.

No need for journalists' assistance in the operation. ;-)

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

"One of the two drones used by the DSI to survey the temple compound, apparently malfunctioned yesterday and fell on the head of an unnamed official, causing a bleeding head wound. DSI officials picked up the drone and left the temple’s seventh gate without commenting to the media."

In next week's instalment, they'll be back with the clown car and some custard pies... 

When I saw this quote from poster, Lamyai3, even I (who am used to Thai real-life comedy shows) thought he had surely made it up. So I checked the article again. And sure enough - there it was, right at the end. Totally true.

I should have known, and I should have taken to heart what many on this Forum have said repeatedly: 'You could not make this stuff up'. Lamyai3 had not made this incident up; this falling drone machine, plop onto an officer's head, really did occur - in this Disneyland of a nation!

^^^ Fresh warrants can be applied for, I believe, or new charges made up. Either way, there's a risk of the judge getting a tad tetchy at the cops and ordering them to ... well, ordering them to get him a pizza (hold the anchovies) because that's all they are good for.

I read so much about how the Police are compared to the comedic ways of the fictional "Keystone Cops".  

Personally I think that is very unfair as it seems to me that the Police were the inspiration for the "Keystone Cops".   :whistling:

Edited by lvr181
Punctuation

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This true?  Bunch of winners this lot are

4 hours ago, captspectre said:

warrant expired? only in thailand can a warrant expire! never a dull  moment here, better than the sunday comics!

We're dealing with "journalists" at The Nation... Here the summary story for you:

Police warrant expired, court warrant was issued following day.

In many places (in the West) police does not have powers to issue these temporary warrants.  In the UK for instance, all police  can do is detain people for a short time (until they get hold of a judge),  if they think a crime is ongoing or some immediate danger. Otherwise all they can do is to "invite" you to the police station. This is slightly different in Thailand as police has  prosecutor powers and are the mandatory first point into the criminal justice system.

Edited by Morakot

If he is still in there they will never get him out now. He has had too much time to get his followers to make some kind of secret chamber so that when officials finally go in he won't be found.  

Then again ......he might have left ages ago. Pretty easy for him I would have thought. 

21 hours ago, mettech said:

The Monk are more powerful than the Junta and it is showing true the media. Boudha is on the Monk side.

Why would Buddha be on this clowns side?

What in his teaching support this kind of behavior from monks?  

Some misguided people might be on the "wrong" side. But Buddha?????  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Thailand

The Thai media often reports on Buddhist monks misbehaving. There have been reports of sexual assault, embezzlement, drug-taking, extravagant lifestyles, even murder. Thailand's 38,000 temples, populated by 300,000 monks, are easy targets for corruption, handling between US$3 to 3.6 billion yearly in donations, mostly untraceable cash.[14] In a case that received much media attention, Luang Pu Nen Kham Chattiko was photographed in July 2013 wearing Ray-Ban sunglasses, holding a Louis Vuitton bag full of US dollars, and "...was later found to be a trafficker of methamphetamines, an abuser of women and the lover of a pregnant fourteen-year-old."[15]  

3 hours ago, Denim said:

If he is still in there they will never get him out now. He has had too much time to get his followers to make some kind of secret chamber so that when officials finally go in he won't be found. 

Who needs a secret chamber! He'll be levitating cross-legged over water.

Since the police drones are not working, there'll be not much they can do... :shock1:

this episode is really bad. hope the authorities tread carefully and swiftly to arrest and help these cult members, if not it might turn into a Jim Jones Tragedy.

saw a video seeing the disciples claiming they are prepare to sacrifice their lives for the monk dhammachayo.

22 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

this episode is really bad. hope the authorities tread carefully and swiftly to arrest and help these cult members, if not it might turn into a Jim Jones Tragedy.

saw a video seeing the disciples claiming they are prepare to sacrifice their lives for the monk dhammachayo.

With the new appointment Justice Minister Suwanphan, this case may have a new twist. Suwanphan is known for his compromising way dealing with issues and may just be the right person to speak one on one with Dharmachayu and find ways to avoid a direct violent confrontation. I am sure that his appointment was done with good resasons