Government drive urges foreign tourists not to buy fake goods

webfact

2 hours ago, FredNL said:

Easy. Just follow a normal farang into the bars visited, for example Pattaya. Every 10 minutes there's some Somchai trying to sell some fake items, watches, sunglasses. 

Please, foreigners that got to Pattaya bars are far from normal. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

No I'm implying you are picking an argument by making analogies that do not apply. 

I'm implying that as far as I'm concerned using pirate bay is theft. 

You do what your conscience allows you.

I'll do what mine allows me. 

Point out to me the fundamental difference between lending someone a book and using a website that finds someone who wants to borrow it.

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Point out to me the fundamental difference between lending someone a book and using a website that finds someone who wants to borrow it.

As I said, if your conscience allows  you to download from sites involved in breach of copyright, go for it. 

Mine doesn't. 

Its theft. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As I said, if your conscience allows  you to download from sites involved in breach of copyright, go for it. 

Mine doesn't. 

Its theft. 

Did you ever tape a vinyl disc onto cassette when you were younger?

How about taping something from the radio?

Nobody is perfect!

1 minute ago, Johnniey said:

Did you ever tape a vinyl disc onto cassette when you were younger?

How about taping something from the radio?

Nobody is perfect!

As a child I did things I now view as wrong. 

As a teenager I did worse. 

I've learnt the difference between right and wrong. 

If we all did and acted as we did as children we would be a pretty pathetic species. 

Worthless in fact. 

Luckily we are able to grow  and develop a conscience. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

As a child I did things I now view as wrong. 

As a teenager I did worse. 

I've learnt the difference between right and wrong. 

If we all did and acted as we did as children we would be a pretty pathetic species. 

Worthless in fact. 

Luckily we are able to grow  and develop a conscience. 

Fair point. Maybe 1 day, I'll develop to be nearer perfect and feel about old Bill Gates when I buy a brand new computer from a reputable store with a pirated Windows 10 on it. 

My Windows 10 now is a copy. I had windows 8 genuine one but my technician recommended I put this on my computer.

Anyone else use a copied Windows or am I the only one lacking a conscience?

8 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Actually the counterfeit goods sold around Europe by swarthy gentlemen of African descent seem to be more robust and a better quality than the counterfeit offerings in Thailand, perhaps Thai fakes are fakes of fakes.

Its everywhere in pattaya and bangkok.

The police should stop it if they want buy not punish buyers. 

11 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Fair point. Maybe 1 day, I'll develop to be nearer perfect and feel about old Bill Gates when I buy a brand new computer from a reputable store with a pirated Windows 10 on it. 

My Windows 10 now is a copy. I had windows 8 genuine one but my technician recommended I put this on my computer.

Nothing to do with bill gates. 

No one said you don't have a conscience. 

We all make choices we can live with. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Nothing to do with bill gates. 

No one said you don't have a conscience. 

We all make choices we can live with. 

Doesn't Gates own Microsoft?

I can't believe I am the only one here using a Window copy. Someone please own up, I feel like a criminal :(

Did not they say some time back they were going to heavily fine any tourist found to have bought fake goods? 

First tourists are duped with fake goods and then fined for the privilege,

that's what I call double jeopardy...

Edited by Basil B

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Mine doesn't. 

Its theft. 

Stop avoiding the questions.  Would you lend someone a book or is this feeling of thieving exclusive to internet based borrowing?

11 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Yes.  You're the only person using an illegal copy of Windows.  It's just you.  Nobody else.  Just you.  The only one.  Anywhere.   Why would you think anyone else was doing it?

'Sounds like you're lacking more than a conscience...

Incidentally.  It's not just "Bill Gates".  Microsoft Corp. employs something not far under 100,000 employees.  'Not counting other IT industry professionals involved with (as in, earning a livelihood from) supporting Windows OSs.  There are also a couple of thousand direct shareholders, and god knows how many with savings invested through mutual funds, pension funds, etc.   You're doing your little bit to rip off all of 'em.   If you're (you and your esteemed "technician", that is) going to be small-minded and self-centered, might as well be helping stick it to as many as you can, right?   Nice!

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Yes.  You're the only person using an illegal copy of Windows.  It's just you.  Nobody else.  Just you.  The only one.  Anywhere.   Why would you think anyone else was doing it?

'Sounds like you're lacking more than a conscience...

Incidentally.  It's not just "Bill Gates".  Microsoft Corp. employs something not far under 100,000 employees.  'Not counting other IT industry professionals involved with (as in, earning a livelihood from) supporting Windows OSs.  There are also a couple of thousand direct shareholders, and god knows how many with savings invested through mutual funds, pension funds, etc.   You're doing your little bit to rip off all of 'em.   If you're (you and your esteemed "technician", that is) going to be small-minded and self-centered, might as well be helping stick it to as many as you can, right?   Nice!

Not sure if you are being serious. 

However, I did ask if any other member here used a copied Windows and nobody spoke up, so maybe you are correct.

I bought a new computer at the weekend for one of my kids. A pretty expensive Dell(32k), from a reputable shop. It came with a copied Windows on it.   Ok, if you're right I lack a conscience. What was the other thing you mentioned that I'm lacking?

I guess I'm a bad father as well as I've just asked my kids and only one of them uses a genuine Windows.

Thanks for ruining my day, I was feeling quite good until you putting me in my place.

1 minute ago, Johnniey said:

However, I did ask if any other member here used a copied Windows and nobody spoke up, so maybe you are correct.

I bought a new computer at the weekend for one of my kids. A pretty expensive Dell(32k), from a reputable shop. It came with a copied Windows on it.   Ok, if you're right I lack a conscience. What was the other thing you mentioned that I'm lacking?

I guess I'm a bad father as well as I've just asked my kids and only one of them uses a genuine Windows.

Thanks for ruining my day, I was feeling quite good until you putting me in my place.

Disgraceful because no one on TV ever purchased a pirated DVD and no one uses those free illegal movie sites which are just free no catches no spy ware! 

15 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

CLUE:   if it came with pirated Windows on it, it's either NOT a reputable shop or a completely incompetent one!

If you want to lay all the blame on the shop that sold you the PC, that's up to you I guess.  If you continue to operate the PC knowing it has a pirated Windows OS on it, that's simply on you and makes you part of the problem. 

I actually think digital rights are overdone, somewhat oppressive, and at least partly the result of political lobbying efforts rather than a bona fide approach to "fair use", BUT no, I can honestly say I've never purchased a pirated DVD or made use of the illegal movie sites. (The foregoing only in response to Rc2702's mocking comment.)

If you can't handle the criticism and have truly had your "day ruined" over this issue of your use of pirated software, you probably shouldn't have come here seeking validation and a pat on the back...   That's the only reason I commented.

reminds me years back when elephants were to be stopped from coming into bangkok. instead of fining the owners they would fine the tourists 10 000thb  who pay to feed them. it seems in thailand it is 'the customer is always in the wrong' wonder what the fine will be for buying fake goods.

But it worked! Would you suggest they fine a filthy poor mahout who lives on the back of an elephant.. What forest would they mail the fine to lol

The thing is if they bust the Thais selling they just pop up in another location, these hawkers are like vermin, impossible to wipe out and they certainly won't pay any fines

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

CLUE:   if it came with pirated Windows on it, it's either NOT a reputable shop or a completely incompetent one!

If you want to lay all the blame on the shop that sold you the PC, that's up to you I guess.  If you continue to operate the PC knowing it has a pirated Windows OS on it, that's simply on you and makes you part of the problem. 

I actually think digital rights are overdone, somewhat oppressive, and at least partly the result of political lobbying efforts rather than a bona fide approach to "fair use", BUT no, I can honestly say I've never purchased a pirated DVD or made use of the illegal movie sites. (The foregoing only in response to Rc2702's mocking comment.)

If you can't handle the criticism and have truly had your "day ruined" over this issue of your use of pirated software, you probably shouldn't have come here seeking validation and a pat on the back...   That's the only reason I commented.

I bet you never recorded a song from the radio either or purchased a t-shirt from a thai market which had a brand like Leo etc emblazoned all over it.