Cyber warriors threaten to launch cyber war against the government

webfact

Cyber warriors threatened to launch cyber war against the government

BANGKOK: -- Opponents against the Computer Crime Bill have threatened to launch a “cyber war” against the government websites if the government refused to defer or tone down the controversial bill.

In a statement posted online, the opponents, calling themselves the “Single Gateway, said the National Legislative Assembly had ignored the 360,000 people who signed up online a petition protesting against the bill.

The group said they would step up the cyber war against the government starting on Tuesday if the government does not respond to their demand to defer the bill or to tone down its content.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cyber-warriors-threatened-launch-cyber-war-government/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-19

When you think about it this is no different with what is occurring in the west and in Europe with the suppression of freedom of speech and all the talk about fake news with even Facebook getting in on it and having some of the most biased news organizations on the planet policing the news. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just stating some facts.

33 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It will be a lesson learned the hard way for the junta.   They have opened themselves up to all kinds of ridicule and reactions because of this bill.  There is no benefit to the Thai people.  It is just a bunch of prudes and elites being controlling.   

They don't care. Proven time after time.

30 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

When you think about it this is no different with what is occurring in the west and in Europe with the suppression of freedom of speech and all the talk about fake news with even Facebook getting in on it and having some of the most biased news organizations on the planet policing the news. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just stating some facts.

And to think I used fake ID at 17 to buy my first drink. Shame on me. 

34 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

In which European/Western countries can you be jailed for liking a Facebook post? List please.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Cyber warriors threatened to launch cyber war against the government

Does nobody find it ironic that by threatening to launch a 'cyber war' against the government, the protesters are demonstrating the need for more protection, to stop letting people launching cyber attacks against the infrastructure?

I understand the objections, but really? Playing into their hands by doing childish hacks against already flawed sites IMO.

Edited by chrisinth

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Does nobody find it ironic that by threatening to launch a 'cyber war' against the government, the protesters are demonstrating the need for more protection, to stop letting people launching cyber attacks against the infrastructure?

I understand the objections, but really? Playing into their hands by doing childish hacks against already flawed sites IMO.

How else do you suggest they voice objections without ending up in the slammer?

51 minutes ago, baboon said:

How else do you suggest they voice objections without ending up in the slammer?

That is the 64 thousand dollar question. Doesn't really matter what they do, article 44 won't be far away to stop them as regards protest marches and the like. Online debate? Need to be careful what they say in the current climate, even before this bill is brought into effect. Petitions? Who would they send them to?

But, IMO, hacking into an infrastructure, even threatening to do so, highlights the need to increase security and plays into their hands. Any sympathy on the world stage will be diminished. And this (again IMO), is the protester's greatest chance to change what has been approved by involvement of 3rd party global organizations.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath for that happening. 

1 minute ago, chrisinth said:

That is the 64 thousand dollar question. Doesn't really matter what they do, article 44 won't be far away to stop them as regards protest marches and the like. Online debate? Need to be careful what they say in the current climate, even before this bill is brought into effect. Petitions? Who would they send them to?

But, IMO, hacking into an infrastructure, even threatening to do so, highlights the need to increase security and plays into their hands. Any sympathy on the world stage will be diminished. And this (again IMO), is the protester's greatest chance to change what has been approved by involvement of 3rd party global organizations.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath for that happening. 

No way will sympathy on the world stage be diminished. They are backed into a corner by a military junta who came to power via a coup and is systematically depriving people of their rights and liberties. This is all they have left. 

The junta started this, not the hackers.

A few years ago, when all this single gateway malarky reared its head, people in the internet industry, professors in IT etc all weighed in advising the government not to do it, that a single gateway won't work, that you can't have a working internet with a single gateway. I would bet that it not working is hardly a concern and essentially the single gateway means simply shutting internet in Thailand off. Seems that in various forms and to varying degrees its happening everywhere. For example, I think I read somewhere that Trump will be handing the internet over to the media corporations to do as they see fit, not that a likely utterly corrupt US government agency is much different than the corporate sector anyway. Oh well.

Well there was that rather embarrassing picture that hit the big screens in the Thai parliament a few years back, that was quite funny, and of course there have been episodes of various government websites being brought down by DDOS attacks.

If the hackers have their way they will bring down other websites, imagine all of yours and mine information held by immigration being stolen ? Not so bloody funny then is it, and trust me these people have the skills to do this, the government is on a sticky wicket with this one my friends.

A single gateway with ability to block and filter all traffic will cost billions and millions of monthly maintenance. Where does this money come from? It will also mean the end for Facebook and most other western services like Google (Gmail, Maps) etc. 

So in the end a total disaster which would cause a devastating impact to the Thai economy.

My Guess = Won't happen!!

12 hours ago, seahorse said:

Coming soon to Trumpland.

Trump has all your data

BS really, but whatever truth there might ever be to it, it's a lesson learned from the now-totally-discredited (as of 8 NOV) "Organizer-in-Chief", master Chicago machinist, and that infamously inept boy statesman, Barry O.  (Look up "Lois Lerner"...)

"Trumpland".   LOL.  10 steps up from the "AObaomianation"