Is this snake poisonous?

PMK

I found it on the Internet already. Red Necked Keekback. Apparently it is both poisonous and venomous and there is no anti-venom for it. 

51 minutes ago, wayned said:

Looks like a red necked keelback, dangerous and venomous.

Yeah. I found it on the Internet already. Both poisonous and venomous, and there is no anti-venom. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Where was it located (province), never seen one of these before.

Don't know about OP, but we have those at least in Phuket. 

Just to clarify these two words below.

“Poisonous—often confused with venomous—means a plant, animal, or substance capable of causing death or illness if taken into the body. Venomous means capable of injecting venom. A rattlesnake is not itself poisonous, because if you eat one it won’t poison you. A blowfish will kill you if you eat it, so it is poisonous, but not venomous.”

Red necked keelbacks and rat snakes are the two most common snakes we get in our garden in Rayong. The Thai's don't mess about they just kill the snakes straight away. Below is an excerpt from Vern's excellent snakes of Thailand pdf. Just found this as well - This is the only genus of snake in the world that is actually both poisonous and venomous. The fluid at the nape of the neck is a poison that this genus secretes when threatened. This species is also rear-fanged venomous and can deliver a lethal bite.

Red Necked Keelback

This snake is popular for collectors keeping

them as pets. They are exceptionally beautiful,

and usually mild-tempered. Many of them just

never strike at all. Others, strike occasionally or

often, and yet it didn’t cause anyone grief for a

long time. Then, someone let one bite down for

over 30 seconds. The snake was able to chew

the venom into the bite site. This caused severe

envenomation.

Recently a father in Phuket contacted me to give

him information about this snake. His son was

envenomated while playing with one of these

snakes. The teen boy nearly died of renal failure.

© 2014 Vern Lovic - ThailandSnakes.com.

Important to note the keelback is rear-fanged.  This means the fangs are not in the front of the mouth (like a rattlesnake) - it's hard for a rear-fanged snake to deliver its venom.  They need to get a bite in on a soft, fleshy area or where there's loose skin the fangs can penetrate more easily. Example, the floppy skin area between pointing finger and thumb, or the turkey-neck floppy bits on an elderly person's throat. The snake will try hard, really grinding in and 'forcing' their mouths into a bite to try to ensure penetration. Just don't hang around being fascinated by their effort. Drag them off your arm or leg asap.  Many locals will tell you they're harmless because so often bites don't enable the fangs to penetrate.

4 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Important to note the keelback is rear-fanged.  This means the fangs are not in the front of the mouth (like a rattlesnake) - it's hard for a rear-fanged snake to deliver its venom.  They need to get a bite in on a soft, fleshy area or where there's loose skin the fangs can penetrate more easily. Example, the floppy skin area between pointing finger and thumb, or the turkey-neck floppy bits on an elderly person's throat. The snake will try hard, really grinding in and 'forcing' their mouths into a bite to try to ensure penetration. Just don't hang around being fascinated by their effort. Drag them off your arm or leg asap.  Many locals will tell you they're harmless because so often bites don't enable the fangs to penetrate.

Thanks for the excellent information! I was about to ask what's the deal with the rear-fanged, now I know.

I must say I laughed when thinking of this: "The snake will try hard, really grinding in and 'forcing' their mouths into a bite to try to ensure penetration. Just don't hang around being fascinated by their effort." 

I'm pretty sure I would not do that if I had a snake biting my hand :)

Thanks to all you providing useful info.

I think I will do some studies on Thailand snakes to make myself more aware. We only had one venomous snake back home. The Misasauga rattler. Very rare and in the Bruce county north of me in Ontario.

Aside from the typical TV armchair herpetologists comments, this exceptionally beautiful reptile is the only genus of snake in the world that is actually both poisonous and venomous. The fluid at the nape of the neck is a poison that this genus secretes when threatened. This species is also rear-fanged venomous and can deliver a lethal bite. These snakes are rear-fanged and need to bite and hold on, or, repeatedly bite to have any effect on humans. Once they do either – there is the possibility of severe problems including renal failure and death. There is no antivenin in Thailand but Japan may have some.

Replying to 2nd photo!

I cant see this snakes head very clearly, However, it is NOT a cobra, nor a python. It looks like a banded kukri snake which is harmless. It is NOT a venomous snake. I just wish people would not kill snakes. So sad to see this happening all the time.

I live near the river in Saraburi and get snakes every day, so I just learnt about which are good and which aren't. Biggest recently was a 4m + Python which was after my chickens, but he just went on his way after he's been rumbled. Yesterday a Golden tree snake on my car bumber, and today because it's warm probably the Pit vipers will be around lol, just get used to it. The keel backs are very common but to be honest usually can't get away fast enough when you see them. My favourite is the green whip snakes, very placid and interesting to watch.

On 19/12/2016 at 11:36 PM, ThaiWai said:

Aside from the typical TV armchair herpetologists comments, this exceptionally beautiful reptile is the only genus of snake in the world that is actually both poisonous and venomous. The fluid at the nape of the neck is a poison that this genus secretes when threatened. This species is also rear-fanged venomous and can deliver a lethal bite. These snakes are rear-fanged and need to bite and hold on, or, repeatedly bite to have any effect on humans. Once they do either – there is the possibility of severe problems including renal failure and death. There is no antivenin in Thailand but Japan may have some.

On 19/12/2016 at 1:00 AM, wayned said:

Looks like a red necked keelback, dangerous and venomous.

Looks beautiful with those colours. Is he wearing a "ChongKrapben?"

I would like to wear a Chongkrapben when I marry a Thai lady.

On 12/20/2016 at 0:36 PM, oilinki said:

Thanks for the excellent information! I was about to ask what's the deal with the rear-fanged, now I know.

I must say I laughed when thinking of this: "The snake will try hard, really grinding in and 'forcing' their mouths into a bite to try to ensure penetration. Just don't hang around being fascinated by their effort." 

I'm pretty sure I would not do that if I had a snake biting my hand :)

At my age must remember never to get bitten on the ass by one of these.

Spaniels ears ring a bell?

Archived