Interior minister: No targets for death and destruction on the roads this New Year

webfact

Interior minister: No targets for death and destruction on the roads this New Year

p6.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- In a break from tradition the Interior Ministry has decided they will not issue targets for the death and accident toll on Thai roads at New Year.

Previously targets were issued at New Year and Songkran but interior minister Anupong Paojinda said yesterday that "all lives matter", reports Daily News.

Instead he urged the public to observe "a good driving culture".

This principally meant three things: No drinking and driving, no speeding and general observance of the rules of the road, reported Daily News.

Anupong said that as in previous years there would be a large number of "accident reduction and prevention" centers set up throughout the country.

He said that vehicles and licenses would be confiscated but played down this warning preferring to appeal to the motoring public to obey the law in the first place.

In explaining the lack of a published target this year Anupong said: "Every person is important and all lives matter. There is no target - zero accidents or deaths would be best".

He urged the public to cooperate with police in creating a good driving culture.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-20

Instead he urged the public to observe "a good driving culture".

I was becoming worried about this New Years eve of driving across town to attend a friend's birthday/New Year party. But now that I've learned the Interior Minister has urged the public to maintain good driving habits, well well, I feel great, secure in the knowledge that where ever I go, I will arrive alive!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

he urged the public to observe "a good driving culture".

Like countries with the lowest rate of deaths from road accidents - Poland (#1), South Korea (#2) and the USA (#3)?

http://www.aneki.com/lowest_accident_deaths.html

But there wouldn't be any Thainess if Thailand joined the low accident rates of those countries.

The junta can more or less do what it wants unopposed. Why doesn't it bring in some harsh deterrents for driving offences, especially drink driving? Then make the police enforce them. If the Thais are hit hard in the pocket, I guarantee the death rate will fall.

Edited by jesimps

And just in case of an emergency and if getting cut up carry a fire arm but only to be used for the ultimate cut up, the carnage on Thai roads will never stop until Thais are educated about driving and sharing the roads with others not the me first attitude.  

Well, I suppose that if there are no official targets to aim for being set this year by the Interior Ministry, the crazies on the Thai roads will just have to make up their own targets.

This should not be a problem to them, as death and destruction over the new year period on the roads of Thailand comes all too naturally to many.

Sadly

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Like countries with the lowest rate of deaths from road accidents - Poland (#1), South Korea (#2) and the USA (#3)?

http://www.aneki.com/lowest_accident_deaths.html

But there wouldn't be any Thainess if Thailand joined the low accident rates of those countries.

Your information is way off the mark!

Poland, USA and South Korea have the worst records among OECD countries.

Thailand is more that 10 times the US rate, which is 3 times that of the UK, so for me it's 30 times worse here than back home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate 

Will tourists be invited to join in the carnage?

A good driving culture what on earth can that mean! Looking in mirrors for traffic, using indicators, driving on the right side of the road all the time ( thats the left just to avoid any confusion). It might also be useful if drivers read their instruction manual of the new car, but I ask too much I fear and things will carry on as usual.

As its coming up to Christmas I have asked Santa if he could bring one of those wooden lattice concertinas with a boxing glove on the end so I can fix to the near side passenger window and aim it at the motor cyclist who just joined the main road without looking. 2nd choice a cricket bat on the roof to sweep at motor cyclist who think its clever to ride without a helmet! 

Feel better now, merry christmas.