Where to live (quietish) long-term in Bangkok?

HotLemon

Hi all,

This is my first post. I am being flown to Bangkok in 3 weeks for an interview as a Software Developer. I am looking at where to live assuming I get an offer.

I have never been to Thailand or Bangkok so do not know the city. From the population figures it seems to be quite a large city. Because it's large I think I will be most comfortable in a more relaxed area on the outskirts. I would like to be able to cycle to work but I am not sure if cycling in Bangkok is feasible? My (potential) offices will be central, just north of Lumphini Park. I would be happy with a max 1 hour cycle commute and if cycling is not feasible a 30 minute skytrain or motorbike commute.

Any recommendations on where to live based on my criteria?

In order of importance:

1. AC

2. Access to best internet connection available

3. Furnished

4. Modern building and finishings

5. 1 bedroom with optional 2nd bedroom for office

6. Basic communal swimming pool (nice to have but not a deal breaker)

Optionaly closer to one of the closest beaches so I can travel to them on weekends. :)

I will be on around 2 million baht but want to save quite a bit every month (around half of my salary).

What should I budget for the place I am looking for? 20k-30k baht per month?

Also, is there anything I should know about living in Bangkok beyond the cultural difference? Are there power outages?

Also, is there anything I can bring from Europe that I can sell in Thailand and make some extra cash? :)

Regards.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never lived in Bangkok, but I have visited many times over the past 20 plus years. I would recommend finding somewhere near the BTS and commute via train. In my opinion commuting by bike in Bangkok would be suicidal and should not be attempted. Ever.

Good luck.

Generally I agree with the above, find somewhere not too far from work, and commute by BTS/MRT. Beaches are easy enough to get to, buses run on a regular basis, and taxis are cheap compared to other places. Cycling can be done in Bangkok, but usually restricted to quieter neighborhoods and parks.

Edited by beechguy

What part of town is your potential employers office?

Commuting across town, even by MRT / BTS isn't the most pleasant experience at peak hours, if you can offset your working hours like I do (I generally work 6.30 - 15.30 unless meetings get in the way) life will be much easier.

There are plenty of places right around where you work and quiet sois or large condos... I would stay close to work, walking distance, and enjoy Lumpini Park. Bangkok does not have a lot of green space so, going further out won't help you much if you are looking for a feeling of being out of the city. The commute will get very tiresome and if by bicycle, defintely not recommended... Dangerous at worst, exhaust filled air and tremedously sweaty in the heat at best... just no upside to it.

Just a few points as some of your questions are way too wide given that there's tons of info out there on Bangkok and living there.  You'd need to be more specific rather than expecting folks to sit a write essays on life in BKK.  There's also lots of info on here from similar questions where to live, BKK areas and things to consider.  Presumably you've looked at a map?  No part of BKK is close to a beach.  What would be important in that regard is not living too far from your chosen means of transport to get there.  Jomtien / Pattaya would be closest, about 1.5 hours by bus / taxi.

Everyone is different and has different priorities but I don't find any part of Bangkok relaxed. It's all just very urban and very busy.  Convenience for me is THE number one issue and BKK is either urban and convenient or urban and not convenient.  Personally I'd rather put up with a work commute (provided it's not too far) and live somewhere convenient for gyms, supermarkets, a good park, malls, nightlife, restaurants and general things to do etc.  I'd rather have access to all that easily, and the ease of getting home after visiting them than living nearer to work and having to trek to them EVERY SINGLE bleedin' time.  Done that before.  NEVER again!!!

On that basis I prefer the Asoke / Phrom Phrong BTS areas.  Closer to Asoke (Soi 16-22) you're near to BTS and MRT (Queen Sirkit station) which is 3 stops from Lumphini.  You also have Benjakitti park which IMHO is nicer than Lumphini.  All up to you at the end of the day, but points worth thinking about.  Having to trek to anywhere that's got some life / ameneties / facilities get's real boring real fast, for me anyways.  I looked out at Lumphini when I was looking for places, just didn't appeal as a place to live.  YMMV.

Cycling to work, forget it, death wish.  Keep the bike in the park.  Or maybe a potter around the local sois, even then, risky IMO. 

Budget? For what your after I'd say 25-30.  Take your time to look too.  There's LOADS of crap out there.  You can see some places where the owners want 20-25k pm for a COMPLETE dump vs other places which at the same price are superb.  I think it's down to unrealistic owner expectations and what some of them expect to be able to rent out complete crapholes for. 

Have a look at the DD website and phone app.  Someone on here pointed me at it when I started looking.  Great app / site.  You can set your own filters and search by proximity to BTS / MRT station.

If you decide on Asoke area and around you can pm me and I can give you a few places to look at in that budget range.  From my perspective, I found better places on the evens side of Sukhumvit (16, 18, 20, 22, 24) than I did with the odds on the other side (21, 23, etc)

Edited by SooKee

Stay in temporary housing (hotel or serviced apartment) for a month to scout the area yourself.

Otherwise, you're in for heartache when you figure out that someone else's idea of great digs isn't the same as yours.  Not even close.  Until I actually got to BKK, I didn't even know what was going to be important.  It's not like back home.  The stuff you take for granted (so you wouldn't even know to ask about it) may be critical to a happy existence.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Stay in temporary housing (hotel or serviced apartment) for a month to scout the area yourself.

Exceedingly sound advice, also when at work you can ask many people there about accommodation

Ask HR about short term accommodation, if they are bringing in people from abroad I am sure they will have a list of acceptable places

Just North of Lumpini Would be in the area between Ratchadamri and Withayu (Wireless) Roads.

You might look at Royal Place 1 and 2 on Soi Mahatlek Luang 1 and Soi 2 or find something closer to PhloenChit. They are not far to the North of Lumphini off of Ratchadamri.

You could live in the Sala Daeng (Silom Road) area and have a nice walk through the park going to work. There are some condos in the area of Sathorn Road and Rama IV on the South Side of the park. Wireless Road becomes Sathorn Road on South side of Rama IV and Rachadamri will be Silom Road on the South side of Rama IV. Rama IV is on the South Side of Lumphini Park. Lumphini is bordered on the West Side by Ratchadamri and on the East side by Wireless Road. There is bus service down both Silom/Rachadamri and Sathorn/Wireless. The closest Sky Trains would be at Saladang on the South of Lumphini and Chidlom and PhloenChit a long walk on the North.

I would opt for living close to work and walking if possible. Driving in Bangkok is totally not recommended. Public transport (Skytrain, Underground MRT, busses) is crowded during rush hours and many other times.

Good luck.

Edited by dorayme
Correct a mistake

I would plan on staying in some interim housing like others have suggested so you can get a feel for the place. Quietish outskirts may not be a reality. I tried it before and even with a car and living and working right off motorway exits, it was still a pain in the ass. Keep in mind there are Realtors which you could use risk and fee free to help you find exactly what you're looking for (once you've sorted that out). Good luck

Good advice above by dorayme -- I agree that any of those neighbourhoods around Lumpini Park (Ratchadamri, Phloen Chit, Asok, Sathorn, Sala Daeng) are the places to look given that you can probably afford them. Commuting in Bangkok REALLY SUCKS, even if you're not going very far. At rush hours, going by metro (BTS/MRT) means being sardined on to trains that are packed to the brim and often you have to wait for two or more trains to pass by until you can finally push your way on to one. Going by road means having to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic in a city that is consistently cited as one of the world's two or three worst when it comes to traffic. This is why so many people use motorbike taxis in the mornings, they're the only way to get somewhere fast since they can pierce through the traffic jams. Bangkok's "outskirts" are not what you might imagine -- it's mostly ugly highways with gated communities that are often soul-less, depressing, isolating and surprisingly expensive given the inconvenient locations. And this is not a good city for cycling; there are some interesting lanes alongside canals and such, but cycling on the main roads and even the sois is dangerous and not fun IMO. With all of that in mind, I'd look for a place within easy walking distance of your office, which will also put you close to Lumpini Park and Benjakiti Park, both of which are conducive to cycling for pleasure (especially Benjakiti, which has a dedicated bike lane). In a city as tightly packed and crowded as Bangkok,  being close to those central green spaces and generally avoiding traveling longer distances at rush hour really improves quality of life IMO. Being in central Bangkok also makes getting to good restaurants, malls, markets, bars, movie theaters, etc., that much easier. Don't get me wrong: Bangkok is a fascinating and invigorating city with loads to offer, but living here can wear on people who aren't set up in a reasonably convenient situation.

Thanks for all of your responses!

19 hours ago, Ahab said:

I have never lived in Bangkok, but I have visited many times over the past 20 plus years. I would recommend finding somewhere near the BTS and commute via train. In my opinion commuting by bike in Bangkok would be suicidal and should not be attempted. Ever.

Good luck.

17 hours ago, beechguy said:

Generally I agree with the above, find somewhere not too far from work, and commute by BTS/MRT. Beaches are easy enough to get to, buses run on a regular basis, and taxis are cheap compared to other places. Cycling can be done in Bangkok, but usually restricted to quieter neighborhoods and parks.

I am currently in London and avoid the tube because I hate being squashed in there so I think I might have to live close to work in Bangkok because of this reason (in London I cycle). I would consider a small motorbike which might be nimble in traffic but I think I will know when I go there how bad the traffic is.

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

What part of town is your potential employers office?

Commuting across town, even by MRT / BTS isn't the most pleasant experience at peak hours, if you can offset your working hours like I do (I generally work 6.30 - 15.30 unless meetings get in the way) life will be much easier.

I am not sure if I can offset my working hours. Will ask about this at interview.

13 hours ago, kenk24 said:

There are plenty of places right around where you work and quiet sois or large condos... I would stay close to work, walking distance, and enjoy Lumpini Park. Bangkok does not have a lot of green space so, going further out won't help you much if you are looking for a feeling of being out of the city. The commute will get very tiresome and if by bicycle, defintely not recommended... Dangerous at worst, exhaust filled air and tremedously sweaty in the heat at best... just no upside to it.

12 hours ago, SooKee said:

Just a few points as some of your questions are way too wide given that there's tons of info out there on Bangkok and living there.  You'd need to be more specific rather than expecting folks to sit a write essays on life in BKK.  There's also lots of info on here from similar questions where to live, BKK areas and things to consider.  Presumably you've looked at a map?  No part of BKK is close to a beach.  What would be important in that regard is not living too far from your chosen means of transport to get there.  Jomtien / Pattaya would be closest, about 1.5 hours by bus / taxi.

Everyone is different and has different priorities but I don't find any part of Bangkok relaxed. It's all just very urban and very busy.  Convenience for me is THE number one issue and BKK is either urban and convenient or urban and not convenient.  Personally I'd rather put up with a work commute (provided it's not too far) and live somewhere convenient for gyms, supermarkets, a good park, malls, nightlife, restaurants and general things to do etc.  I'd rather have access to all that easily, and the ease of getting home after visiting them than living nearer to work and having to trek to them EVERY SINGLE bleedin' time.  Done that before.  NEVER again!!!

On that basis I prefer the Asoke / Phrom Phrong BTS areas.  Closer to Asoke (Soi 16-22) you're near to BTS and MRT (Queen Sirkit station) which is 3 stops from Lumphini.  You also have Benjakitti park which IMHO is nicer than Lumphini.  All up to you at the end of the day, but points worth thinking about.  Having to trek to anywhere that's got some life / ameneties / facilities get's real boring real fast, for me anyways.  I looked out at Lumphini when I was looking for places, just didn't appeal as a place to live.  YMMV.

Cycling to work, forget it, death wish.  Keep the bike in the park.  Or maybe a potter around the local sois, even then, risky IMO. 

Budget? For what your after I'd say 25-30.  Take your time to look too.  There's LOADS of crap out there.  You can see some places where the owners want 20-25k pm for a COMPLETE dump vs other places which at the same price are superb.  I think it's down to unrealistic owner expectations and what some of them expect to be able to rent out complete crapholes for. 

Have a look at the DD website and phone app.  Someone on here pointed me at it when I started looking.  Great app / site.  You can set your own filters and search by proximity to BTS / MRT station.

If you decide on Asoke area and around you can pm me and I can give you a few places to look at in that budget range.  From my perspective, I found better places on the evens side of Sukhumvit (16, 18, 20, 22, 24) than I did with the odds on the other side (21, 23, etc)

I have looked at a map and know that beaches are not close. But if I can change a 1.5 hour bus ride into an hour bus ride by living "closer" to the beach that is a win for me. I hope that makes sense, that is what I meant.

I will check out Asoke. Thanks for the recomendation. I will PM you.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Otherwise, you're in for heartache when you figure out that someone else's idea of great digs isn't the same as yours.  Not even close.  Until I actually got to BKK, I didn't even know what was going to be important.  It's not like back home.  The stuff you take for granted (so you wouldn't even know to ask about it) may be critical to a happy existence.

The company will put me up for the first month so that is taken care of. I have no idea where but I will ask at interview. I am hoping that they let me be in Bangkok for a week or 2 before I start work so I can look for a place with more ease. Again, have to ask.

6 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Soi Nana….you will love it.

Thanks will check out Soi Nana.

4 hours ago, al007 said:

Exceedingly sound advice, also when at work you can ask many people there about accommodation

Ask HR about short term accommodation, if they are bringing in people from abroad I am sure they will have a list of acceptable places

3 hours ago, dorayme said:

Just North of Lumpini Would be in the area between Ratchadamri and Withayu (Wireless) Roads.

You might look at Royal Place 1 and 2 on Soi Mahatlek Luang 1 and Soi 2 or find something closer to PhloenChit. They are not far to the North of Lumphini off of Ratchadamri.

You could live in the Sala Daeng (Silom Road) area and have a nice walk through the park going to work. There are some condos in the area of Sathorn Road and Rama IV on the South Side of the park. Wireless Road becomes Sathorn Road on South side of Rama IV and Rachadamri will be Silom Road on the South side of Rama IV. Rama IV is on the South Side of Lumphini Park. Lumphini is bordered on the West Side by Ratchadamri and on the East side by Wireless Road. There is bus service down both Silom/Rachadamri and Sathorn/Wireless. The closest Sky Trains would be at Saladang on the South of Lumphini and Chidlom and PhloenChit a long walk on the North.

I would opt for living close to work and walking if possible. Driving in Bangkok is totally not recommended. Public transport (Skytrain, Underground MRT, busses) is crowded during rush hours and many other times.

Good luck.

Thanks will check them out.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

As mentioned earlier, stay in a cheap hotel near Nana,  this will give you the convenience of seeing Bangkok in true perspective. You can look around for a suitable place to stay each day after work.

You'll fit in just fine.

2 hours ago, bendshead said:

I would plan on staying in some interim housing like others have suggested so you can get a feel for the place. Quietish outskirts may not be a reality. I tried it before and even with a car and living and working right off motorway exits, it was still a pain in the ass. Keep in mind there are Realtors which you could use risk and fee free to help you find exactly what you're looking for (once you've sorted that out). Good luck

1 hour ago, dluek said:

Good advice above by dorayme -- I agree that any of those neighbourhoods around Lumpini Park (Ratchadamri, Phloen Chit, Asok, Sathorn, Sala Daeng) are the places to look given that you can probably afford them. Commuting in Bangkok REALLY SUCKS, even if you're not going very far. At rush hours, going by metro (BTS/MRT) means being sardined on to trains that are packed to the brim and often you have to wait for two or more trains to pass by until you can finally push your way on to one. Going by road means having to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic in a city that is consistently cited as one of the world's two or three worst when it comes to traffic. This is why so many people use motorbike taxis in the mornings, they're the only way to get somewhere fast since they can pierce through the traffic jams. Bangkok's "outskirts" are not what you might imagine -- it's mostly ugly highways with gated communities that are often soul-less, depressing, isolating and surprisingly expensive given the inconvenient locations. And this is not a good city for cycling; there are some interesting lanes alongside canals and such, but cycling on the main roads and even the sois is dangerous and not fun IMO. With all of that in mind, I'd look for a place within easy walking distance of your office, which will also put you close to Lumpini Park and Benjakiti Park, both of which are conducive to cycling for pleasure (especially Benjakiti, which has a dedicated bike lane). In a city as tightly packed and crowded as Bangkok,  being close to those central green spaces and generally avoiding traveling longer distances at rush hour really improves quality of life IMO. Being in central Bangkok also makes getting to good restaurants, malls, markets, bars, movie theaters, etc., that much easier. Don't get me wrong: Bangkok is a fascinating and invigorating city with loads to offer, but living here can wear on people who aren't set up in a reasonably convenient situation.

Looks like close to work is what I need then.

Edited by HotLemon

1 minute ago, HotLemon said:

Looks like close to work is what I need then.

That would be my most emphatic suggestion.   Especially if your office isn't close to a BTS (Skytrain) or MRT (Subway) stop.

BKK is a commuter's nightmare.  I'm not a big fan of living downtown, but I do in BKK.  If I got more time off, I'd rent a weekend place near a beach out of the city, but I'd still live close to the office during the week.

14 minutes ago, HotLemon said:

So no one recommends a small 50cc/125cc scooter or motobike in Bangkok?

I would recommend a scooter, but I would not recommend getting out on busy roads in Bangkok until you are completely 100% sure you know where you are going and 100% sure you know how to ride. 

Bangkok roads are so dangerous, suicidal for a newbie on a motorbike. But for farting around your hotel/apartment/condo area for 7/11 trips & whatnot I would recommend it. 

You said you wanted to bicycle around, you could do that in leu of a scooter for tootin around your place but I can't emphasize enough how confusing BKK roads & traffic can be. 

Edited by Aggressive

10 minutes ago, HotLemon said:

So no one recommends a small 50cc/125cc scooter or motobike in Bangkok?

Anything smaller than 100cc can't be registered for the street, though quite a few locals run them. 

Lots of people, expats included, ride scooters for convenience in splitting lanes and weaving around traffic.  I've got one.  Bought it used, rode it around the neighborhood for an hour or so and it's been parked for 4 years now.  Scared the crap out of me.  But you may do fine.  Just remember they're 20-40 x as dangerous as a 4 wheeled vehicle- even with a helmet.

I take scooter taxis every day.  They've been driving in BKK traffic for years and most are pretty good getting around without causing me to leak on my undies at all.

20 minutes ago, Aggressive said:

I would recommend a scooter, but I would not recommend getting out on busy roads in Bangkok until you are completely 100% sure you know where you are going and 100% sure you know how to ride. 

Bangkok roads are so dangerous, suicidal for a newbie on a motorbike. But for farting around your hotel/apartment/condo area for 7/11 trips & whatnot I would recommend it. 

You said you wanted to bicycle around, you could do that in leu of a scooter for tootin around your place but I can't emphasize enough how confusing BKK roads & traffic can be. 

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

Anything smaller than 100cc can't be registered for the street, though quite a few locals run them. 

Lots of people, expats included, ride scooters for convenience in splitting lanes and weaving around traffic.  I've got one.  Bought it used, rode it around the neighborhood for an hour or so and it's been parked for 4 years now.  Scared the crap out of me.  But you may do fine.  Just remember they're 20-40 x as dangerous as a 4 wheeled vehicle- even with a helmet.

I take scooter taxis every day.  They've been driving in BKK traffic for years and most are pretty good getting around without causing me to leak on my undies at all.

I think I will only be able to judge the conditions when I get there. 

I have ridden a motorbike for 10 years now in many different cities including Beijing. 

@impulse do you live in BKK? Do you want to sell your bike? :)

How much is insurance?

OP,  the suggestions made above by other posters that you consider staying on Soi Nana were SARCASTIC, not serious.

As for bicycling to work in BKK, if you decide to attempt that against the various SERIOUS advice offered here, just make sure you have a paid up life insurance policy with the designated beneficiary of your choice.

6 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

Serious question to the guys against riding a bicycle, yet recommending a scooter - you think a push bike is more dangerous than a scooter?

I recommended a scooter for farting around the apartment/condo/house area for local easy runs, same as a bicycle. 

There is a difference between making a simple 7-11 phone card top up run at 11PM on some backroads than day 1 hopping on a scooter & cruising Sukhumvit. 

If you live as absolutely close to work as possible, a near daily commute, that time saved can be applied to your beach commute... this even works on a one day basis.. if it is Friday and you can walk home in 5 minutes, rather than a 30 minute commute home, you have already saved 25 minutes off your trip... you do not get back the time wasted in the unpleasantness of a daily commute.

good luck.

35 minutes ago, Aggressive said:

I recommended a scooter for farting around the apartment/condo/house area for local easy runs, same as a bicycle. 

There is a difference between making a simple 7-11 phone card top up run at 11PM on some backroads than day 1 hopping on a scooter & cruising Sukhumvit. 

Sure, i agree. I dont ride a scooter in bangkok at all, but many teachers, digi nomads, farangs in general do, and I'd argue that a push bike is safer than that.

Though the shit air you'd breathe commuting in bkk is another story. 

Asoke was recommended as a good area, and it is for access to food and entertainment but asoke is one of the busiest intersections in bkk, often gridlocked for 2 hours + and the bts/mrt stations are probably the most jammed at rush hour than any other station (except maybe siam?)

if hes working near Lumphini then somewhere on the silom line would be better IMO

9 hours ago, dorayme said:

You might look at Royal Place 1 and 2 on Soi Mahatlek Luang 1 and Soi 2 or find something closer to PhloenChit. They are not far to the North of Lumphini off of Ratchadamri........

I would second the recommendation of Royal Place or otherwise on Mahatlekluang, depending on exactly where your office location would be ("North of Lumpini pk" includes three streets as mentioned).  We live on Mahatlekluang 2 (not Royal Place, but a newer, more expensive condo). The advantages of this area are (1) wide, walkable sidewalks along Ratchadamri, not cluttered by vendors; (2) almost immediately next to BTS station, which is far more comfortable than the Tube or NYC subway (I have lived in both London and NYC); (3) across from Royal Bangkok Sports Club, which can provide a soothing green-space view depending on your condo facing; (4) very short straight-shot commute to Lumpini Park, which could easily be done by walking or cycling but best ONLY in early morning; (5) short walk to the Skywalk system and malls around Siam/Central World/ Ratchaprasong. [Note that the vast majority of BKK is not even easily walkable, let alone good for cycling, so keep that in mind]

This area is much less hectic than Asoke, so if you are looking for (relative) serenity it might be a better choice, but Asoke would be better for a wide variety of food/nightlife, etc at your doorstep. We (married couple) far prefer Ratchadamri to Asoke, but many or most singles and newbies might initially prefer the vibrancy of the Asoke area. 

Langsuan Rd (parallel to Ratchadamri) is also relatively nice, but suffers from the usual crappy and narrow bangkok sidewalks and doesn't have many condo options

4 hours ago, jonw8uk said:

Asoke was recommended as a good area, and it is for access to food and entertainment but asoke is one of the busiest intersections in bkk, often gridlocked for 2 hours + and the bts/mrt stations are probably the most jammed at rush hour than any other station (except maybe siam?)

if hes working near Lumphini then somewhere on the silom line would be better IMO

I was sort of thinking the same thing, it really depends on what type of lifestyle the person is in to.  A lot of recommendations for living near Asok or Nana which is of course prime location if you spend your time going out to the "Entertainment Zone" bars in Nana and Soi Cowboy.   There is of course lots of shopping around that area, but there is a lot of shopping everywhere it seems -- and shopping centers in Bangkok are basically pretty much clones of each other (actually two different major companies controlling most of it).  Shopping centers here though tend to have a good food court and many many restaurants where you can eat in air conditioning -- I think most Thais just go there for the food and window shopping but not as much actual shopping.   I think when you first arrive here you will of course do shopping to set yourself up with stuff for your condo (if you cook, or if you want a better desk setup sort of thing).... though it is pretty well impossible to get a condo (western style sort of) without being furnished (it can be annoying if you don't really want everything furnished).    Anyway, after the first few months though I think you will find shopping for the most part is not that important and personally if I need something I order it on Lazada (sort of like a local Amazon with cash on delivery) and have it delivered.  For any major food delivery (meat for freezing, bottled water for a month, canned goods, etc) you can just order from Lotus Tesco and have it delivered cash on deliver (delivery charge 60 baht -- which is often saved by prices over your local 7/11 for water or drinks that you may order).  For fresh vegetables, there will usually be someone near your area that sells it and it is better to get that stuff.  

I am also primarily a software developer, but I don't work for any companies in Thailand (banking/brokerage industry based software Canada -- and I live in a western friendly condo near Nana in between Nana and Asoke and as a FYI on rent it comes to 32K baht / month (same for last 7 years) for about 48sqm 1 bedroom condo; kitchen hob; fridge; washing machine; furnished (set back 300+ meters from the BTS line away from the noise of near Sukhumvit) -- when I moved in the condo was new and overall reasonably competitive with other condo units of similar style.  Things that I noticed were many do not come with a washer and drier (serviced apartments had a small one that did both -- but small combined units) -- so I just wash and hang on rack on the balcony.  If I used the balcony I would miss the drier :p.  AC is installed in any modern condo/apartment style unit... though I would recommend working on climatizing to a certain extent (my AC is set at 27C) it will make the outdoors more friendly.  Hot water is generally supplied by a induction on demand water heater -- I have one in the wash room..... but the kitchen and washing machine have no hot water (I don't think that is abnormal here).  

You can get solid internet connections here, most buildings will have at least ADSL -- but not sure about fibre or VDSL.... it would depend since they would have to come in and replace the infrastructure in the building if not recently built.  There is fairly good fibre here.  I use ADSL (13/1Mbps x 2 lines load balanced; down from 16MBps since price / performance was not worth the difference) -- fibre is not available in my building since I think many units are now rented monthly and a majority of the owners don't think providing fiber would make it worth more -- so no company has installed it yet).  I use 3bb which is fairly good overall...  I manage on the odd month to pump a terabyte of data through it (down of course) sometimes 2 TB -- no complaints (heavy use gets managed back during peak hours of 6pm to 12pmish).  I hear AIS fiber and 3bb fiber are reasonable products -- but you have to remember you will have 200ms minimum maybe 300ms latency because of distance from Europe and America to most western services -- and this can make certain things seem sluggish in a chatty environment like web pages..... but nothing you can do about the speed of light ... at least not yet.  

Power outages.  When I first came here I use to lose power for a few minutes during heavy downpour times daily during rainy season -- cable shielding was obviously an issue.... but no more.  I do sometimes get outages for a couple to 10 minutes early in a morning every once in a while.... sort of regular time and not during peak.... I wonder if they test the emergency systems here on a regular basis.  The lines tend to be overloaded so every once in a while the main fuse at the junction up the street blows and has to be replaced.... usually a lot longer.... Overall, not that bad for a developing country -- nothing a few UPSs can't help (though unfortunately 3bb does not have them on their equipment locally).  Average loss of power maybe averaging about a couple minutes a week at most.  

As I said earlier it is really difficult to get a place unfurnished - so furnished won't be a problem.

Lots of modern buildings.  Most of those will have a pool, and a workout area... but with any condo workout area the equipment may not be the best or the best maintained.  I have my own cardio machine in my unit that is more reliable.  

If you get a 2 bedroom for an office, your second bedroom will have a bed in it :shock1:  It is near impossible to get the renter to remove it since then they would have to store it....

The Pattaya direction -- will have beaches -- but if you actually want nice beaches as opposed to beaches in sin city ....  I think living towards the Silom directly from your work will be better if you want to go down the Cha-am (2hrs) or Hua Hin (2.5hrs) direction on weekends (family friendly - and nicer beach areas).  I agree with jonw8wuk that if you are not a night person during the week (and want to go to Nana and Soi Cowboy regularly) that going the other way from work would likely be better.  Cycling .... don't think I ever see people taking there life in their own hands around here in Bangkok...  but one thing I found is that my body missed the regular walks to/from work (I lived close to work in the past -- but not "too close") of 30 to 40 minutes.....  so although you might not want to take the BTS/MRT in the morning a short walk might be wise.... if you get knocked off your exercise routine -- just those 30 or 40 minutes morning and night will do a world of good.

You really haven't given much information to go on.

Salary of ฿2m, with no accommodation allowance and you want to live in Bangkok on ฿1m.

You can do that. ฿80k a month is okay but not likely to give you a luxury lifestyle.

Rent depends on where you live. Where is the office you expect to get a job at? Try google earth.

There are NO beaches in Bangkok. The nearest is 100kms away, and much further for a good one. Have you looked at any type of map?

Do some research.

And push biking in Bangkok: if you want to live forget it.

To be honest, if I was on the interview board I'd put you on the next flight back to where you came from, (your bedroom at your parents house?).

You seem to want to do no work, just post something on the internet and get all the answers... Or is that how software developers "work" these days?

:sick:

11 hours ago, dorayme said:

Good luck.

Good advice, I lived on Soi Mahatlek for 2 1/2 years = great place to come home too after a hectic day in the city.....Rachadamri train station is not far.  Really liked that area.