American found with slashed neck in Phuket rental room

webfact

American found with slashed neck in Phuket rental room

Phuket Gazette

pkt5.jpg         

The man's body had deep cuts around the neck. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- An American man was found dead, with deep slashes to his neck, at a rental room in Rawai about 7pm last night. Police suspect he may have taken his own life but have not ruled out other possibilities. 

“Inside the bathroom, we found the body of the 62-year-old victim (whose name is being withheld) lying face up, with a 15cm long wound on his neck, likely caused by a sharp object. We also found a box cutter covered in blood and a pair of scissors covered in blood in the sink,” said Maj Thada Sodarak of Chalong Police. 

The victim is believed to have been dead for at least an hour before his body was discovered by his girlfriend, who reportedly fainted when she first saw him. 

“She returned from work to find the room locked from inside. She tired to call, but no one answered, so she asked her neighbors to help break down the door,” said Maj Thada. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/American-found-slashed-neck-Phuket-rental-room/66021?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-21

Very sad ending to this man''s life, "overstay", lack of money, etc...

<SNIP>“The friend said the deceased visa had expired a year ago and he had been overstaying ever since. He also told us that his friend had asked his embassy for help and was given advice on the documents he needed to provide but he did not have enough money to get his paperwork processed and pay for the visa,”

An all to familiar story, sadly!!

My condolences to family & friends...

35 minutes ago, bokningar said:

I usually don't question death's and how they happen, but how do you get enough force to slash your neck?

Troth, wrists sure possible, but this, the NECK!?

Any how RIP. 

it is possible. a friend of my father's slashed his own throat in Australia, he was a surgeon so obviously knew how to do it.

13 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

52 minutes ago, bokningar said:

I usually don't question death's and how they happen, but how do you get enough force to slash your neck?

Troth, wrists sure possible, but this, the NECK!?

Any how RIP. 

it is possible. a friend of my father's slashed his own throat in Australia, he was a surgeon so obviously knew how to do it.

I have trouble to understand a slashed throat, it is the slashed NECK I don't get.

You might need a bit of help on that one......

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:
18 minutes ago, bokningar said:
I have trouble to understand a slashed throat, it is the slashed NECK I don't get.

Why moaning about a translation?

Sorry if I expressed my self bad.

What I ment is, You probably need some help to slash your neck so you die.

Slash your throat happens, but your own neck?

“The friend said the deceased's visa had expired a year ago and he had been overstaying ever since. He also told us that his friend had asked his embassy for help and was given advice on the documents he needed to provide but he did not have enough money to get his paperwork processed and pay for the visa,” said Maj Thada.

It´s a sad story
R.I.P.

8 hours ago, bokningar said:

Not at all, as the carotid arteries and jugular veins, all of which are part of the neck, along with the throat itself, could quite easily be reached with a box cutter. 

Everytime I hear stories like this I keep coming back to the notion that Farangs in Thailand should be setting up some voluntary organisation to help in cases such as this. Suicide seem to be some people's only option the way they see it......all because of the lack of a small sum of money. For support if nothing else....even a phone line like the Samaritans.

Of course the work permit to do this is another story.

36 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Everytime I hear stories like this I keep coming back to the notion that Farangs in Thailand should be setting up some voluntary organisation to help in cases such as this. Suicide seem to be some people's only option the way they see it......all because of the lack of a small sum of money. For support if nothing else....even a phone line like the Samaritans.

Samaritans do exist here, it it VERY good that you post what you did, we ALL need reminding that people such as this exist, from time to time.

HOTLINES: SAMARITANS

Bangkok:
(02) 713-6793 (THAI)
12 noon - 22:00 hrs, 7 days/week
(02) 713-6791 (ENGLISH)
24 hours/day, 7 days/week

Chiang Mai:
(053) 225-977/8 (THAI)
19.00 - 22.00 hrs
(Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat)

Edited by MalandLee
Emphasis

That's good to know. Should be more of this " useful" info here. I ddidn't know this. I was thinking about a hotline myself and when people run out of ideas its often good to have someone to talk to and help with. Anecdotally there does seem to be a lot of suicides of falungs in this country. Run out of money, ideas and love all at once, the future can seem bleak, but suicide is unecessary.

2 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

That's good to know. Should be more of this " useful" info here. I ddidn't know this. I was thinking about a hotline myself and when people run out of ideas its often good to have someone to talk to and help with. Anecdotally there does seem to be a lot of suicides of falungs in this country. Run out of money, ideas and love all at once, the future can seem bleak, but suicide is unecessary.

Their website is here - http://bit.ly/2htm43F  There may be those amongst us with the skills to be a volunteer?? It seems to need more English Speakers and perhaps other languages too. 

18 hours ago, MalandLee said:

Very sad ending to this man''s life, "overstay", lack of money, etc...

<SNIP>“The friend said the deceased visa had expired a year ago and he had been overstaying ever since. He also told us that his friend had asked his embassy for help and was given advice on the documents he needed to provide but he did not have enough money to get his paperwork processed and pay for the visa,”

An all to familiar story, sadly!!

My condolences to family & friends...

Sorry i dont buy the fact that he did not have enough money to get the documents needed , americans speak english , he was 62 years old , he could have done teaching english ????? private teaching english,  put it this way if your stood in front of a mirror with a box cutter pressed against your neck and the alternative is to go teach english 99% of people would go teach english , im sorry about it , but i feel there was some other underlying reason why he did this that is not disclosed.

4 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

I agree, What about a dedicated forum here on Thaivisa, keeping the black dog at bay, sharing experiences, your not alone etc. It would need monitoring and moderation by some people with a knowledge of psychology etc. 

7 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

Sorry i dont buy the fact that he did not have enough money to get the documents needed , americans speak english , he was 62 years old , he could have done teaching english ????? private teaching english,  put it this way if your stood in front of a mirror with a box cutter pressed against your neck and the alternative is to go teach english 99% of people would go teach english , im sorry about it , but i feel there was some other underlying reason why he did this that is not disclosed.

If you have a box cutter against your neck, tying your shoes is like climbing mount Everest. You are not capable of rational thought or going out into public etc, 

There would be a woman involved somewhere in the mix.. No help available for that one

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, MalandLee said:

Samaritans do exist here, it it VERY good that you post what you did, we ALL need reminding that people such as this exist, from time to time.

HOTLINES: SAMARITANS

Bangkok:
(02) 713-6793 (THAI)
12 noon - 22:00 hrs, 7 days/week
(02) 713-6791 (ENGLISH)
24 hours/day, 7 days/week

Chiang Mai:
(053) 225-977/8 (THAI)
19.00 - 22.00 hrs
(Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat)

Good one....this info should be posted as a permanent TV forum headline. What surprises me is that his embassy did not refer him to at least one or more support groups. Isnt that their business? All embassies say that ''their main job is to represent their respective governments and to offer assistance to visiting citizens. Long stay - you're out of luck, a 3rd class citizen. RIP to this poor man and sympathy to any family he left behind.

I can't see using a pair of scissors in a suicide, but who knows.  I would say that the authorities here would much rather it was suicide than murder though. Just saying, with the little info we get, I would hate too make accusations.   RIP Sir.