Bangkok Bank Debit Cards - Update

Just reading through the postings here. Firstly tf6112 the bkk website is out of date. I think it should have read untul 30 June 2017 if stock still available or similar. It also seems that if stock is still available they are still issuing them. Here in Lampang having checked both main branches and 3 sub branches in shopping centres they have all confirmed they only have Union Pay cards. I have now tried all the major merchants here Big C, Robinson, Tops, SF Cinema, McDonalds, Tesco, to name a few and NONE of them accept Union Pay. Incidentally also I have had 3 different Bangkok Bank ATM's give me a blank screen after inserting the Union Pay Card and all I could do was cancel the transaction. They all worked perfectly with Visa cards. Also in the UK the only high street bank accepting Union Pay is Barclays and they apparently only accept Credit Cards (Not Debit Cards).The other UK High Street banks do not accept Union Pay as they use the ATM Link network which has withdrawn Union Pay for legal reasons.

Dentonian I have had the same account with BKK for 15 years so it was nothing new and always had a visa card with it. The girl did point out it was now Union Pay when she issued it but I didn't appreciate the significance at the time. Which branch did you get the visa card from?

Anyway, as sikishrory, I am now looking at Kasikorn. May also get some bonus airmiles with Bangkok Airways through them too! 

15 hours ago, Pib said:

The US has made big progress in switching to chipped cards.  I have around 10 U.S. debit and credit cards (probably too many...but a few are a Mastercard and Visa credit card from the same credit card company) and as of around mid 2016 all were chipped cards.

Yes I have two US credit cards that are now chipped. I think the first upgrade was around a year ago.

When I first got the Bangkok Bank chipped card I did encounter one Kasikorn ATM that wouldn't cope with it, but since then it's been accepted by every ATM I tried to use including the one that initially rejected it.

20 hours ago, Pib said:

Tomorrow or early next week I will be going to a Bangkok Bank branch here in Bangkok to exchange my Be1st "magnetic strip" card for a "chipped" card.  I plan to make it clear I don't want a Union Pay card....only a Visa logo card.  I'll give some feedback once I do this.

This morning I did go to my Bangkok Bank branch on the ground floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok to swap-out my old style Be1st Visa logo magnetic strip debit card for a Be1st Visa logo debit chipped card.  Actually both the Thai wife and I went to swap-out our cards.  When setting down with the rep the first thing I said was we want to upgrade our cards to the Be1st chipped card and want a Visa logo card and not a Union Pay logo card.   Also said we just want a basic card with no insurance.

The rep said OK, but they no longer have the standard Be1st Visa card which use to be their main card; instead, for the "Visa logo" cards they only have the Be1st Visa Rabbit basic card or Be1st Visa Rabbit Sirraj cards.  As pointed out in earlier posts the Visa Rabbit card is just the standard Be1st card "with also the ability to pay for rapid transit rides in Bangkok" which really makes it a more capable card.    The basic Rabbit card has a current annual fee of Bt200 (just like the standard Be1st card) and the Rabbit Sirraj card also includes  accident insurance with an annual fee of Bt599.   

Just to confirm with the rep I said the basic Visa Rabbit card annual fee is Bt200 until mid 2017 when it goes back to a Bt300 annual fee...he said yes, and also said it may not go back to Bt300 come mid 2017.   Maybe competition will keep the price down.  And I didn't even mention the Visa Rabbit Sirraj card that comes with accident insurance and has an annual fee of Bt599.  

The rep then went and got the blank basic Visa Rabbit cards and forms....we completed the forms (or I should say he did and we just signed), setup the cards with our 4 digit PINs, and we are done.    He made zero effort to try to issue us one of the pricer cards, Visa or Union Pay, that come with insurance.  

We did have to pay Bt100 "initial" issue fee for each card since we were not changing from our Be1st standard card to another Be1st standard card, but instead changing from standard Be1st card to a Be1st Rabbit card.  It's like changing to a different type/series of card.  I had kinda expected that if the standard Be1st was not available.  Had no problem with that initial issue fee.

Before leaving the wife and I used ours cards in their ATM to confirm the cards worked---they did..   I then used my card at Foodland to play for a purchase (the chip was used in the POS terminal and not the magnetic strip).  And a little later used it to withdrawal some cash from a K-bank ATM and SCB ATM.  Both of these ATMs were older looking ATMs....they had some years under their belt and from briefly looking I didn't see any EMV-capable stickers like I've seen on some ATMS, but obviously they had already been upgraded to EMV chipped card capability.

Fortunately for the wife and I, swap-out of our debit cards went easy and fast....ended up with Visa logo chipped cards with an annual fee of Bt200.   

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2016 at 0:10 PM, Halfaboy said:

Not too long ago I got my 'Be1st Smart rabbit card' form the Bangkok bank in Pattaya without problems.

Also earlier today, I went to my local Bangkok Bank, and they told be they did not do the basic one. Which card did you get, the

basic one or the other one which costs 600Bt?

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Also earlier today, I went to my local Bangkok Bank, and they told be they did not do the basic one. Which card did you get, the

basic one or the other one which costs 600Bt?

Edit: whoops, thought you were asking me instead of Halfaboy.

Edited by Pib

39 minutes ago, Pib said:

Edit: whoops, thought you were asking me instead of Halfaboy.

Ha ha! I was wanting to find out if Halfaboy got the basic Rabbit card, as it seems some BBs have it and some don't.

My local bank has the 600Bt one, but he told me there was no insurance with it, it seems some bank employees just don"t know their jobs.

If I can find out if Halfaboy got the basic one in Pattaya, I may have to wait till I go there.

Knowing that the average Thai makes a lot less than the average farang and probably  more sensitive to prices, Thais have free medical coverage under the national 30 baht medical program (no real need for accident insurance from a hospital bill standpoint) ,  and Thais compose the great, great, great majority of every bank branch's customer base, I bet  Bangkok Bank branches have plenty of basic 200 baht annual fee chipped Visa/Union Pay cards.  Or, if a branch is temporarily out of stock it wouldn't take long to get more in.

Me thinks some branches are just pushing the pricer cards that include insurance.  Sure, I expect they do a lite sell job to a Thai customer but the sell job changes for farangs to a hard sell like: we only have the Bt600 card, farangs have to take the Bt600 card, etc...etc....etc.  And some farangs will just accept the branch's sell job and take the pricer card for various reasons....to each his own.   And some get the card not even asking, "what is the annual fee?"  

Yea, me thinks that, right or wrong.

The insurance thing happens to Thais as well. I was saying how kasikorn wouldn't let me open an account the other day unless I purchased 1500 baht of insurance. Then the gf was saying krung thai did the same to her and it happens to a lot of thais as well.

I have had thai accounts for 6 years with scb, kasikorn and bkk bank and back when I had a work permit it was easier. The majority of the time I have had little issues. Money goes in and then you take it out. But when you try to do something other than deposit/withdrawel then things are totally inconsistent varying between who you speak to and where you go. 

When I had a work permit SCB wouldn't let me have a visa debit card and couldn't even give me an explanation why. It was as if they just didn't want to. Nor would the allow any international transfers when both other banks did.

It's incredibly frustrating but thats how it is.

I wonder if the 2 singapore banks UOB and citibank branches in Thailand are much different? Would be good to know

Consider the requirement to use a PIN an extremely important step - especially here in Thailand where there is never any check of signatures and .... freeze over to get a refund.  That is one plus for the UnionPay card where both are required.

After researching the Bangkok Bank Be1st Smart TPN Union Pay debit card a little more it has enlightened me about some things.   Such as the TPN part stands for Thai Payment Network which is a "in-Thailand" payment network/company which is owned 50:50 by Bangkok Bank and UnionPay.   The TPN portion is only an "in-country" payment system but gets a global/international reach by partnering with the UnionPay global system.

Basically the TPN Union Pay debit card is a "co-branded" card and from looking at the card on the Bangkok Bank website it shows both the TPN logo and the Union Pay logo.  Before I hadn't paid that much attention to the TPN part....figured it was totally a UnionPay system card, but it's not.

Some partial quotes and weblinks below if wanting to know more.

Union Pay Company News

http://m.unionpayintl.com/en/aboutUpi/newsCenter/companyNews/3014343.shtml

This February, TPN (Thai Payment Network) which was built based on UnionPay technical standard went live. TPN was co-constructed by UnionPay International, Bangkok Bank and other local mainstream banks. Based on the system, Thailand built the debit card brand of its own, TPN, and began issuing UnionPay standardized UnionPay-TPN cards. In addition, Thailand is the first country outside mainland China that has adopted UnionPay standard as its chip card standard. These are all the milestones in realizing the interconnection between the two countries’ payment industry.
At present, Bank of Thailand is dedicated to upgrading the country’s e-payment industry. According to Mr. Sophonpanich, it is a win-win that Bangkok Bank adopted UnionPay’s advanced technology and innovative capability to construct a local switch network. “UnionPay International’s rich experience in mobile payment and e-commerce is able to help enhance the efficiency and service level of Thailand payment industry.” he said.

Bangkok Bank Press Release

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/AboutBangkokBank/AboutUs/MediaRoom/2016/May/Pages/PressRelease11May16.aspx

Thai Payment Network Chairman Shoke Na Ranong said TPN was established to provide a Thailand payment network that meets international standards in line with the National e-Payment Master Plan of the Bank of Thailand and the new payment network will support the government’s plans to move towards a cashless society. TPN is currently Thailand’s first and only local card scheme. This will provide benefits to issuing banks and merchants accepting TPN cards as the merchant fee will be the low rate of only 0.75% per transaction; which will attract a wider network of small and big merchants to accept debit cards. This will enable merchants to manage cash securely and conveniently and reduce the risk of holding cash. Cardholders can buy goods and make payments easily and more conveniently and can be confident about the security of the chip and 6-digit PIN technology. Bangkok Bank Be1st Smart TPN UnionPay is the first debit card issued under the TPN network. 

Nation News Paper Article

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30280100

UnionPay International and Bangkok Bank are TPN’s initial shareholders, on a 50:50 basis, while Kasikornbank, Krungthai Bank and Siam Commercial Bank have signed a memorandum of understanding expressing interest in becoming shareholders.

From a quick look of the Kasikorn Bank, Krungthai Bank, and Siam Commerical Bank websites I didn't see any TPN/UnionPay debit cards being offered; only Visa/Mastercard.  Guess these banks were not that interested after all, at least at this time, in joining a payment network owned by Bangkok Bank and UnionPay....nor hooking-up with only UnionPay at this point in time.

I can now also better understand why Bangkok Bank seems to be pushing its TPN-UnionPay debit cards over its Visa cards.  With Bangkok Bank in more control over the "payment network" (especially purchase transactions)  as 50% owner of TPN that will process the "in-Thailand" TPN-UnionPay debit card transactions which will be the great majority of the transactions with the remaining being international transactions, Bangkok Bank will surely make more profit.  

No need to share profits with Visa....and I'm sure they have a good fee arrangement with UnionPay for international transactions processed under the UnionPay payment network....plus Bangkok Bank gets to tag onto the UnionPay brand name.    

Business and profits...can't blame them.  Hopefully, there will be some interchange fee reductions for Thailand merchants who do sign up for the TPN-UnionPay  network and in-turn the merchants will pass those savings along to their customers via slightly lower prices.   Yea, right.

A Wiki article talking numerous country-specific debit card payment systems, payment systems co-branding/joining forces, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card

Consider the requirement to use a PIN an extremely important step - especially here in Thailand where there is never any check of signatures and .... freeze over to get a refund.  That is one plus for the UnionPay card where both are required.

Greater security, for sure. But, I wonder if this is why we're seeing some merchants refusing to honor debit cards -- because they're not set up to process a PIN input (and the card has no fallback to a 'chip and signature' mode, which apparently UnionPay doesn't -- at least if it's not co-branded). I know Big C, and other large retailers where I shop, have their POS machines on the other side of the check-out counter and the clerk -- so there's no way there's a convenient way to enter a PIN (even if their machines are programmed to accept PIN's). Solution for these merchants: Don't accept debit cards because the turd in the punch bowl may be a UnionPay card.

On 12/23/2016 at 2:37 PM, Pib said:

Before leaving the wife and I used ours cards in their ATM to confirm the cards worked---they did..   I then used my card at Foodland to play for a purchase (the chip was used in the POS terminal and not the magnetic strip).  And a little later used it to withdrawal some cash from a K-bank ATM and SCB ATM.  Both of these ATMs were older looking ATMs....they had some years under their belt and from briefly looking I didn't see any EMV-capable stickers like I've seen on some ATMS, but obviously they had already been upgraded to EMV chipped card capability.

Used my Be1st Visa chipped debit card in another non-Bangkok Bank ATM....specifically a TMB ATM---worked fine.    

Now that I have successfully used the Bangkok Bank Visa chipped debit card in Krungsri Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, and Thai Military Bank ATMs I'm even more convinced Thai banks have upgraded the majority of their ATMs to include EMV-capability (ability to accept/read chipped cards).    

Up until a year or so ago to use your Bangkok Bank chipped card in an ATM, you had to use it in a Bangkok Bank ATM since the majority of other Thai banks had not upgraded their ATMs to include to included EMV-capability yet.   Bangkok Bank was pretty much the only Thai bank issuing chipped debit cards up until that time, but that has changed over the last year as other Thai banks have started in earnest to issue chipped debit cards...have stopped issuing non-chipped cards.  So, if a bank is issuing debit chipped cards they pretty much have to upgrade their ATM to accept chipped cards or they would get a LOT of complaints....people going back to their bank complaining their debit card didn't work.  

• Like 1

I recall reading a newspaper story several years ago. Member banks of the ATM Pool, as it was then called, are required to install a new ATM proportionate to the number of new ATM cards they issue. I certainly can't recall the exact number, but let's say one new ATM machine per 3000 new cards.  This rule of the ATM Pool is to stop banks from simply handing out cards, while leaving their competitors to bear the costs of installing and servicing the machines.   

• Like 1

I'm sure "all" Thai banks love having the own ATM machines because ATMs are fee-generating/profit making machines for the banks.   Although banks will say they put ATMs just about everywhere for "customer convenience," the real reason is to generate fees/profit.

It's just the initial cost of swapping out cards, upgrading ATMs, Cash Deposit Machines (CDM), Point of Sale (POS) machines and other network upgrades that caused most Thai banks to drag their feet.   Same thing happened in the U.S.

Add Krung Thai Bank ATMs to the list of ATMs that worked with Bangkok Bank chipped debit cards...ATMs that are now EMV capable (can read chipped cards). Used one today with my Bangkok Bank chipped Visa debit card to get money.

I'm sure "all" Thai banks love having the own ATM machines because ATMs are fee-generating/profit making machines for the banks.   Although banks will say they put ATMs just about everywhere for "customer convenience," the real reason is to generate fees/profit.

It's just the initial cost of swapping out cards, upgrading ATMs, Cash Deposit Machines (CDM), Point of Sale (POS) machines and other network upgrades that caused most Thai banks to drag their feet.   Same thing happened in the U.S.

I agree.. they ARE profit generating devices - but -- that does not then mean there can't be benefits for others too; like customers. I think possible to have a win-win of you will.

I use primarily BBL and KBank as one is my employers bank (thus salaries are paid via that bank) and the other in had a long standing multi-account type relationship with. I find that the range of services I can do at ATMs is pretty good and relives me of the time pressure to get to a physical bank branch.

So, I can accept that ATMs are a fee-generating device for the (for-profit) banks, but I can also say that for me, as a customer, I do find them quite convenient to get most of my routine, transactional banking done at a time and place that is most convenient for me, and isn't predicated on finding and open branch.

I'm sure there's a fair bit of cost involved with ATMs - be that classic withdrawal-only units, but the newer deposit/withdrawal units as well as passbook update machines as well - in terms of unit purchase cost, daily/periodic cash servicing, physical maintenance, network costs, utility costs (power) and rental costs for the space the unit occupies on non-owned or non-leased bank property.

So, I don't besmirch the bank for seeking to not only recoup those ATM-related costs, but also to seek profit opportunities as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Fookhart,

Durn good post, but you must be in error.   Why?  Take a look at this UnionPay webpage talking acceptance of the UnionPay card in Thailand...and I've included a few partial quotes from the webpage.    

Seriously, just kidding.  Regardless of what Bangkok Bank says and what below UnionPay webpage says about its acceptance in Thailand, it's not what I'm seeing in repeated TV posts talking how it hard to find a store in Thailand that accepts UnionPay....at least when you are  talking Lotus, Big C, Tops, etc., type stores.    And over the last week or so, while paying for stuff at checkout counters I've been looking for UnionPay signage but I haven't seen any...only Visa and Mastercard.   At one place, a Tops market in a Central mall , which only had Visa and Mastercard signage displayed I asked the checkout clerk if they also accepted UnionPay cards and he said no.   Now on ATMs I do see the UnionPay logo.

Some Partial Quotes from below website:

http://www.unionpayintl.com/column/en/enCard/en_asia/en_Thailand/index.shtml

In Thailand, UnionPay cards are accepted at 90% of merchants and almost all ATMs.

POS acceptance

Merchants with the signage of 398453.pngall accept UnionPay cards, including large department stores, duty free shops in airports and cities, restaurants, hotels and group purchase stores. Since that some of the merchants have yet to put up the UnionPay signage, cardholders may show their UnionPay cards upon the till and inquire about UnionPay acceptance.

Cash withdrawal
In Thailand, UnionPay cards are accepted at almost all ATMs in major airports, railway stations, intertown bus stations, 7-11 convenience stores, large shopping malls and tourist attractions, for withdrawing Thai Baht. There are 398454.png signage and the following logos on these ATMs or the ATM screen:
398455.png

• Like 1

Fookhart  and Pib excellent posts and my sentiments entirely. Absolutely useless card. I have now also found Bangkok Airways do NOT accept Union Pay but more worrying over the last couple of weeks I have found some of the 'standalone' Bangkok Bank ATMS are not accepting the card!!!!!!!! I insert the card, the screen changes and then either freezes or goes blank. After waiting a couple of minutes I start pressing the buttons and then the card is regurgitated and quite hot. I have then used a Visa or Mastercard in the same machine without any problems.  I will be reporting this to the Bank when I am next in the branch - I don't want to waste another 30 minutes listening to naff music on 1333. I definitely do not trust this card as a sole means of cash withdrawal/payment. Incidentally on the Union Pay site I found a page for Merchant locators accepting Union Pay. I entered Thailand and in the drop down box for 'province'  all I got was Phuket! -Not even Bangkok.  I selected Phuket and 'SEARCH'  This was the message "

Sorry, no result is found. Please choose other query conditons.

Page0/0   

As earlier post I am planning on opening an account with Kasikorn Bank as i have been reccomended and, according to the web, account opening is fairly easy, Photo ID, Proof of residence and a deposit of 10K cash and they issue a Visa card!    

• Like 1

Thanks Pib, for some accounts yes 500Baht. The one I am looking at is the Current Deposit as it includes the all important Visa card and on line banking! I will know more when I have spoken to them.Here's the link.  http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/BankAccounts/Current/Pages/CurrentDeposit.aspx

Current Deposit (เงินฝากกระแสรายวัน)

Current Deposit give our clients a safe, reliable alternative to cash, and offer the freedom of payment by check.

Key Features
Benefits
  • Helps establish good personal and business credit
  • Can be used in conjunction with ATM Card, KBANK Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and KBANK e-Phone Banking Services.
  • Can be used with KBANK Direct Debit Services to pay for a variety of products and services.

Product Detailsblank.gif

How to apply or use

Account opening

• Deposit a minimum of 10,000 Baht for individuals, or 30,000 Baht for associations

Required documents for account opening

• A copy of national ID card or other ID cards bearing your photo and issued by government authorities
  • A copy of House Registration

OK, yea a Current (a.k.a., checking) deposit account is a different animal if you need a Current account for some reason.    

Savings accounts come with debit cards also if you want one.  

And from looking at K-bank website all of K-bank's debit cards are Visa cards regardless of the type of account you open which can have  debit card associated with it.

• Like 1

Great Pib, Many thanks for pointing that out. All I need is a savings account with an ATM card so no I don't need a current account. Just an account for international transfers from UK and a visa card for shopping and cash withdrawals. I'll talk to them this week. Also I'll talk to Bangkok Bank about their ATMs not liking my Union Pay Card and post the responses here.

On 12/22/2016 at 8:25 PM, Get Real said:

No problem at all. Bangkok Bank has a lot of different cards to choose from. Just have to be enough smart to question what you get. All easy!

Common sense tells me that if they started charging their Thai customers 100 baht per withdrawal,pretty soon ่they would have no customers.

3 hours ago, Singhaman said:

Fookhart  and Pib excellent posts and my sentiments entirely. Absolutely useless card. I have now also found Bangkok Airways do NOT accept Union Pay but more worrying over the last couple of weeks I have found some of the 'standalone' Bangkok Bank ATMS are not accepting the card!!!!!!!! I insert the card, the screen changes and then either freezes or goes blank. After waiting a couple of minutes I start pressing the buttons and then the card is regurgitated and quite hot. I have then used a Visa or Mastercard in the same machine without any problems.  I will be reporting this to the Bank when I am next in the branch - I don't want to waste another 30 minutes listening to naff music on 1333. I definitely do not trust this card as a sole means of cash withdrawal/payment. Incidentally on the Union Pay site I found a page for Merchant locators accepting Union Pay. I entered Thailand and in the drop down box for 'province'  all I got was Phuket! -Not even Bangkok.  I selected Phuket and 'SEARCH'  This was the message "

As earlier post I am planning on opening an account with Kasikorn Bank as i have been reccomended and, according to the web, account opening is fairly easy, Photo ID, Proof of residence and a deposit of 10K cash and they issue a Visa card!    

You seem to get or give a lot of wrong info.500 baht last time i did it.Once again,common sense tells me that not many Thai's would be opening accounts with K bank,if it was 10k.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

Common sense tells me that if they started charging their Thai customers 100 baht per withdrawal,pretty soon ่they would have no customers.

They do if their Thai customer is outside of Thailand using at ATM.  

Your must be referring to the OP where he said Bangkok Bank charges 100 baht for using an ATM "in" Thailand.  He was wrong as already mentioned in earlier posts....that 100 baht fee applies to withdrawals "outside" of Thailand.  The same fee is charged even if using their Visa card.  Some other Thai banks have the same charge.    This fee has been in-place like forever.   He just got confused and thought the 100 baht fee was for in-Thailand withdrawals also.

On 2017-01-01 at 0:17 PM, louse1953 said:

You wish! Bangkok Bank is one of the biggest bank in Thailand. You just said like if Ericsson don´t make mobiles, they have to shut down the company. Go figure!