Passenger vans are the champion of road accidents among public transport services

webfact

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I drive both, the motobike is because it goes 3-5 times faster than a car in traffic jam.

Also taxidrivers don't speak english and drive very crappy vehicles.

That's correct, unless of course, you end up in a hospital. Anyway, wish you safe journeys!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Driven by manics who overtake you then slam on the brakes and stop, causing you skid to a halt on your motorbike whilst screaming blue murder. A typical day on the road for a motorcyclist in Thailand.

I loath van drivers. Wishing I had a HGV truck instead of a motorcycle or a giant tank and when the son of a gun pulls a trick like this I could just slam into his van and squash him like an ant onto the asphalt.

The biggest evil on Thailand's roads are the brainless motorcyclists.

5 hours ago, trogers said:

And we have some TV members here championing these champions when they were relocated from Victory Monument...

I try to avoid finger-pointing and such. Meaningless, other than bolstering my ego that I knew better than "some".

And we have some TV members here championing these champions when they were relocated from Victory Monument...

saying it is a good idea to keep transportation central and in one area is not the same as supporting reckless driving -  you do know the two things are separate, right? 

Vans should be regulated and made safe, but they should also be available in central transport hub areas - see how easy that is....

Part of a post that I wrote, in regard to the recent Phuket van tragedy.

Sometimes, these accidents are a result of a faulty vehicle, an animal on the road, a sleepy driver, a reckless driver, bad weather, or lack of driving skill. But, we do know two parties who are definitely at fault. Little P, and the immigration department. They know how dangerous these roads are. They know a small number of people doing visa runs will die, or be badly injured. These visa runs are an antiquated policy, in drastic need of revision. I presume they were originally designed as a way to stimulate the economy, as much revenue would go to the mini van operators, the airlines, hotels, etc. One could even be as cynical as to say that these visa runs would help support the hospitals too. But, the time has come to revise this policy, and eliminate these dangerous, environmentally disastrous, and completely unnecessary visa runs. This service should be available IN COUNTRY. Period. Anything else is irresponsible, and contributes to the mayhem. So what about the minivan operators who thrive on this? Let them get into something else, or use their vans for more productive use. 

For now, the fault of these deaths rest squarely on an administration which is completely lacking any creative juice, and most definitely lacking the desire to make life easier for tourists and ex-pats. 

Just now, fruitman said:

I drive both, the motobike is because it goes 3-5 times faster than a car in traffic jam.

Also taxidrivers don't speak english and drive very crappy vehicles.

As you keep saying.Just because you are too lazy to learn a couple of words in Thai,it's their fault.Two Bangkok taxis last week,both clean and professional.I guess that makes it 100% taxi drivers in Bangkok are good.

Hang on....  So for public road transport, the most serious offenders are mini buses, then large buses, then chartered buses, so aside from taxis which are generally city bound rather than intercity, they're saying buses have accidents.

Informative.

Can we have one for multiple occupant scooters, pot holes, M150 truck drivers asleep at the wheel due to over work and no time for maintenance, or dogs with hip fractures asleep in the middle of the road?  It would still only be telling us what we all know already, but at least it would be a statistic rather than just saying "this zig zag chart says that statistics are going up".

Do you have to go to the old southern bus depot to catch a lod do or is there another place central ?, as I think it is now a waste of time to get a taxi costing 3 to 4 hundred BHT and then let a suicide pilot drive you.

I now use the government bus or the sky train to the airport and bus to Hua Hin.

As for the driving of passenger Vans , I am convinced that the mentality of the whole country is at fault.

If you tell a Thai that the driving here is insane they just laugh .

If you complain about something here such as poor service or poor food, they want you to pay for the rotten crap you just sent back.

Until the mentality of the government changes the madness on the roads will continue, and be condoned by on the take idiots who will profess that you are stupid to complain, don't worry if you die you will come back in 3 months.

Thai passengers will not complain when an idiot is driving like a possessed maniac , as they fear the maniac will drive faster, they just say to themselves '' Satue"

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Part of a post that I wrote, in regard to the recent Phuket van tragedy.

Sometimes, these accidents are a result of a faulty vehicle, an animal on the road, a sleepy driver, a reckless driver, bad weather, or lack of driving skill. But, we do know two parties who are definitely at fault. Little P, and the immigration department. They know how dangerous these roads are. They know a small number of people doing visa runs will die, or be badly injured. These visa runs are an antiquated policy, in drastic need of revision. I presume they were originally designed as a way to stimulate the economy, as much revenue would go to the mini van operators, the airlines, hotels, etc. One could even be as cynical as to say that these visa runs would help support the hospitals too. But, the time has come to revise this policy, and eliminate these dangerous, environmentally disastrous, and completely unnecessary visa runs. This service should be available IN COUNTRY. Period. Anything else is irresponsible, and contributes to the mayhem. So what about the minivan operators who thrive on this? Let them get into something else, or use their vans for more productive use. 

For now, the fault of these deaths rest squarely on an administration which is completely lacking any creative juice, and most definitely lacking the desire to make life easier for tourists and ex-pats. 

Cannot agree more ... Visa run is absolute timewasting, money, energy wasting unnecessary weight on the shoulders of ex-pats. Why an immigration office in your 50-100 km radius is unable to do the same check as a border officer can do in 5 minutes?

24 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

As you keep saying.Just because you are too lazy to learn a couple of words in Thai,it's their fault.Two Bangkok taxis last week,both clean and professional.I guess that makes it 100% taxi drivers in Bangkok are good.

I do speak thai sir but taxidrivers should speak english as well!! Is that too hard for you to admit??

Last week i took a taxi to River Wine, a 5* restaurant...the taxidriver didn't know it so i told him in thai how to drive there...he was laughing all the way cause of my crappy thai language...the idiot. They even don't know the toprestaurants because they only get cheap customers.

But he took the wrong U-turn so we got lost and my wife had to guide him through the phone.

Tonight i go to another restaurant and go on motobike since i'm tired of those lowclass taxidrivers.

50 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

saying it is a good idea to keep transportation central and in one area is not the same as supporting reckless driving -  you do know the two things are separate, right? 

Vans should be regulated and made safe, but they should also be available in central transport hub areas - see how easy that is....

I also cannot understand why they can't move all those 3 bus stations to the Victory Monument too...

Would provide convenience to a 100 more times of people than those van commuters...

No one knows more than me, or has highlighted more than me here on Thaivisa just how bad most, yes, most Thai drivers and motorbike riders are.

But I have got to say, I have used mini buses regularly between my village in Phichit province and Bangkok, and had never had a bad driver.

If I had any problems with any of their driving, I would have stopped it long ago.

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Good to finally know! Now, what is the govt going to do about it? Rhetorical question...:wink:

It shouldn't be a rhetorical question.

now that they have bothered to collect and release these figures, surely it's incumbent on the authorities to act on the figures.... and stem the carnage.

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

The biggest evil on Thailand's roads are the brainless motorcyclists.

As a motorcyclist and myself and do long road trips, I beg to differ, I have had more problems with car, truck.etc drivers than motorcyclists.

4 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Driven by manics who overtake you then slam on the brakes and stop, causing you skid to a halt on your motorbike whilst screaming blue murder. A typical day on the road for a motorcyclist in Thailand.

I loath van drivers. Wishing I had a HGV truck instead of a motorcycle or a giant tank and when the son of a gun pulls a trick like this I could just slam into his van and squash him like an ant onto the asphalt.

Dont forget the use of the vehicle as an intimidation method... swerving at your car... or worse, bike, as they pass, to send a message... ie... next time get the f outta my way!!!!

i know most don't want to see Thailand become an expensive "western"'version of home (despite the fact that some recent price hikes are making it so), but some regulation is desperately needed... this for example... and especially this, vs the governments attempts to censor the internet, or remove umbrellas and deck chairs from beaches, for example.

51 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Ever wondered to which group the majority of owners and stakeholders in the transport industry belong? After you found out, you know why the gov. is not in for changes. 

I could see here three different governments. None of them wanted to change. Who may be the leader of this group then? 

Yes you can blame reckless drivers.

But you can also blame Thai government for the safety of the roads in Thailand. And in the end you can blame police for not stopping those reckless drivers for do reckless driving.

When you look at Bangkok Pattaya and many others tourist plashes there are very good control over what people do, but when you come out to small towns all over Thailand, then there are others rules. In my opinion there have to be same rule all over Thailand.   

3 hours ago, al007 said:

The statistics are horrendous

The statistics exclude those who die after the accident in hospital so in reality it is even worse

Tachometers should be mandatory in all vehicles carrying passengers

Where deaths occur there should be a high fine on both the owner and driver for first offense

The vehicle should be confiscated, let the police keep the proceeds, this will ensure better enforcement

On second offense both owner and driver 10 years in jail

Harsh yes but this problem has to be tackled,

Those selling drugs are jailed,

Those murdering people on the roads should be treated similarly 

When driving long distance what are the most aggressive in the rear mirror mini van drivers tells us a lot

Just give all drivers and riders an I Q test, if you pass go and learn to drive safely

If you fail go back to rice paddy, maybe you can use a buffalo for transport

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

As a motorcyclist and myself and do long road trips, I beg to differ, I have had more problems with car, truck.etc drivers than motorcyclists.

Would you say that you are 85 years old and still drive long road trips on a motorcycle in thailand?

And also can hit anybody who touches your wife's titties into hospital??

:shock1:

The inadequacy of proper action against minibus drives who drive recklessly can be summed up by the B150k 'fine' awarded to the minibus driver who killed 3 people and seriously injured 6 other on a visa run the other day.

Until the punishment fits the crime these muppets will continue to romp up and down the nation's highways , leaving carnage in their wake.

Archived