Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Woman who left ATM in machine had 10,000 baht stolen from her account

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Thing is with that, after you are given the money, no more transactions are possible without re entering the pin. 

Though I'm guessing in this case she hadn't taken any money out. 

he's just suggesting you're less likely to forget the card at all... the problem from the gitgo. 

but if you don't take any cash.... what happens? I have no idea. be even more careful about leaving the card???  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe this story.

I have accidentally left my debit card in an ATM once and after a few minutes without being removed the ATM started sounding an alarm that could  be neard for some distance.

In my case a nearby security gaurd in the mall removed my card due to the alarm, and returned it to me.

11 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

he's just suggesting you're less likely to forget the card at all... the problem from the gitgo. 

but if you don't take any cash.... what happens? I have no idea. be even more careful about leaving the card???  

If you don't take any and just do an acc' enquiry the card , I think stays inside the machine and the screen promps you to make a choice of other transactions, withdraw. transfer etc. If you walk away at that point the next person can use the situation to do a few things, especially the fast cash of 10,000 someone mentioned before.

As I'mafarang says if you withdraw cash your card pops out when you're finished.

Funny all the people here defending the foreigners.. they were thieves.. and one comment the foreigners getting some back good for them. Excusing theft on one Thai to get back at Thais. Wow.. guess a lot of foreigners here have a chip on their shoulder. 

And yes you can lose money this way, a ex of mine had the same happen. It was a Thai guy who did it never got the money back either. Its a stupid and costly mistake. 

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

She studied the CCTV footage and the two people who were using the ATM after her looked like foreigners.

The waitress remembered they were foreign and they paid by credit card.

.........the people who stole the money were foreigners.

Is there no limit to how low foreigners will stoop!

Thais would never do such a dastardly thing............:whistling:

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Funny all the people here defending the foreigners.. they were thieves.. and one comment the foreigners getting some back good for them. Excusing theft on one Thai to get back at Thais. Wow.. guess a lot of foreigners here have a chip on their shoulder. 

And yes you can lose money this way, a ex of mine had the same happen. It was a Thai guy who did it never got the money back either. Its a stupid and costly mistake. 

Alleged thieves. Let's see how it pans out first. 

However if they did steal the cash (and they may well have done), you've got to wonder at who steals 10 thousand baht and then pays food bill on credit card. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Alleged thrives. 

Got to wonder at who steals 10 thousand baht and then pays food bill on credit card. 

Yes, that is a good one could be totally different foreigners but the CCTV on the bank shows the real culprits, they are not necessarily the same as those who paid food with a creditcard. 

But I can understand the Thai lady for a lot of Thais 10.000 bt is a lot of money and hurts a lot if you lose it. 

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It looks acc' enquiry, withdraw cash and then walks away leaving the card inside with 'other options' on the screen.

Doesn't excuse theft though.

You can't withdraw cash and then use the card again without re entering the pin. 

I can't with my bank anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You can't withdraw cash and then use the card again without re entering the pin. 

Not sure but when you do enguiry then take cash I 'think' it might depending on the bank offer more options.

I have to do both today, cash and transfer so I'll check.

A good trap:  keep 1000 baht in your account.  let the foreigner behind you try to steal your money as you forget to take your ATM card.  arrest them immediately, fine them 10,000 baht (better than jail and deportation, as they really are criminals).

easily 10 foreigners will be criminals everyday, ironically right before and after they were at the temple!!!!

57 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you don't take any and just do an acc' enquiry the card , I think stays inside the machine and the screen promps you to make a choice of other transactions, withdraw. transfer etc. If you walk away at that point the next person can use the situation to do a few things, especially the fast cash of 10,000 someone mentioned before.

As I'mafarang says if you withdraw cash your card pops out when you're finished.

Her just doing an ACC enquiry makes no sense as she has an app on her phone that she later checked and this is how she discovered her acc was light.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

If you earn 15,000 a month then it might feel like it.

My point is that the Thai police are not going to take any interest in this putative 'theft'. The sum involved is simply too small. The 'evidence' provided in the article is unconvincing, and the identification of the 'perpetrators' as foreigners is ludicrous. Apart from the fact that they 'look' distinctly East Asian, who can distinguish between Thais, Chinese, etc., in CCTV video of such poor quality?

Don't leave your ATM card in the machine! 

I wonder does the CCTV show why she forgot her card in the machine? Chatting, scrolling up and down FB while standing at the machine maybe??? 

She should be thankful it was ONLY 10,000... 

here in the USA, recently all my debit cards now have a chip and at some machines I have to first insert the card, then remove it, then I have to insert it again to finish the transaction.  Before I used to just swipe the card and then put it back in the wallet and I purposely would avoid any ATM that was not of the swipe type.  The point being the process is different.

20 minutes ago, djayz said:

I wonder does the CCTV show why she forgot her card in the machine? Chatting, scrolling up and down FB while standing at the machine maybe??? 

yah.  probably right at the max daily withdrawal limit

21 minutes ago, djayz said:

Why don't you watch for yourself.

It's been posted.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

If only those foreigners didn't eat well, this amateurish sleuth be still running around

blaming everyone else accept her neglect.....

The poor woman just made a mistake, can happen to anyone, just a small lack of concentration, none of us are perfect.

4 hours ago, stament said:

Just shows the state of the Thailand Police force, when Joe Public's dectective skills are better than theirs and even when they are given the evidence they don't follow up on it. Really quite shocking!

Then again, I am not sure why I should be so shocked, as there are fines to be handed out to people not wearing helmets, etc.. Traffic offences, now that takes real detective skills! ?

Brown envelopes again spring to mind here.

Well, this happened to me, I left my card in the ATM, somebody used it straight after me and withdrew 20,000.

the bank people told me to file a report with the police and then they would get access to the other banks ATM camera.

nothing ever happened........guess it was a farang s money so they just did not follow up.

2 minutes ago, namatjira said:

Well, this happened to me, I left my card in the ATM, somebody used it straight after me and withdrew 20,000.

the bank people told me to file a report with the police and then they would get access to the other banks ATM camera.

nothing ever happened........guess it was a farang s money so they just did not follow up.

To be fair the BIB don't seem to give a toss about this Thai woman's money either. 

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Why don't you watch for yourself.

It's been posted.

It appears my assumption was wrong... not the first time and probably not the last. 

So a moment's lack of concentration cost her 10,000, at least two trips to the police station in vain and a trip back to the bank to collect her ATM card and CTTV footage. 

As somebody else has pointed out, we all make mistakes. 

I hope her high expectations of the police haven't been dampened. 

5 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

So the only thing missing here is "how in the H____ did the get the PIN number?"

You only have three tries b4 a machine gobbles your card as I recall...

If she actually left the card in and left before the transaction  was over, then grin bear and shut it...

She must have pressed "Yes, I want another transaction", then walked away...

Archived