Panel urges changes to wipe out patronage

rooster59

Panel urges changes to wipe out patronage

By Prapasri Osathanon 
The Nation

4530512e91ef5c516e3eafe5bc7c25c7.jpeg

TOO MANY government officials are accustomed to a patronage culture that encourages selective treatment and nepotism at the expense of the nation, the head of a panel tasked with wiping out favouritism says.

“The patronage system causes damage in various dimensions. For example, it discourages many talented people from working in the government sector,” Admiral Saksit Cherdboonmuang said yesterday in his capacity as chair of the National Legislative Assembly’s (NLA) ad-hoc committee on how to fight the deeply-entrenched patronage system.

His committee has recently compiled a 367-page report with detailed proposals on how to end the domination of the patronage system in Thailand’s bureaucracy.

Full story:  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302742

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-24

Admiral Saksit Cherdboonmuang said yesterday in his capacity as chair of the National Legislative Assembly’s (NLA) ad-hoc committee on how to fight the deeply-entrenched patronage system.

Guessing the irony is lost on him?

(wondering how he got appointed to the NLA? election? merit?)

Patronage....The biggest single scourge in Thailand that lays the foundation for everything that keeps it in the mess it is in. Good luck with ever changing that with some of the ridiculous laws and believes the country has. Until patronage is dealt to  Thailand will continue to be a merry go round of turns of corrupt politicians and well meaning but out of their depth military leadership. 

Patronage exists naturally in the absence of institutions and mechanisms that mandate transparency and accountability. Moral appeals are never going to be sufficient to make most people act against their individual interests and the interests of their network in order to uproot it

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Admiral Saksit Cherdboonmuang said yesterday in his capacity as chair of the National Legislative Assembly’s (NLA) ad-hoc committee on how to fight the deeply-entrenched patronage system.

Guessing the irony is lost on him?

(wondering how he got appointed to the NLA? election? merit?)

I'm sure the irony will be lost on him as he's a person of privilege, of entitlement so he and those like him talk of rules to affect others not themselves.

Even when Thai authorities know who are the most corrupt wheeler dealers, they don't go after them.  At most, they'll do what Chaleum (head of anti-drug squad who is also hyper-corrupt himself) did several years ago: 

"We know who the crime bosses are.  They know we know who they are.  I'm not going to arrest them because they are already suffering the karma of knowing they have done bad deeds.  I will however tell you the first letter of their names (and then Chaleum mentions several Thai letters)."

In a nutshell:  Thai authorities are incapable of cleaning up endemic patronage and corruption.  It would be akin to them each drinking a gallon of bleach in order to clean their intestines.

Edited by boomerangutang

On 24/12/2016 at 9:36 AM, chainarong said:

The very nature of the whole system is subject to nepotism,  just take a look at the surname of the  junta leader and the military Chief....................................................................:coffee1: .

Absolutely.

Just look at the family names and and connections of the TRT, PPP and PTP and then remember a certain army general with the same surname who got promoted 3 grades above where he should have. Just by a co-incidence his cousin was the PM at the time.

I only mentioned it just to make sure that there were no double standards.

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Or a former PM, his brother in law and even his sister. Hypocrites!

I really think you have missed a fundamental point in trying to make a fatuous one. Brother and sister were democratically ELECTED. Something distinctly foreign in the increasingly Orwellian Nightmare blighting Thailand.

Of course.  Nothing else should be expected.  Thailand laws and mentality enforces heirarchy and special treatment for some over others. S tarts at the very top with an institution I probably can't mention, which almost self defines the issues, then down the chain through various dictatorships through the years, and complete unwillingness to set up free elections and a voting system.  Sure there are aristocratic and rural disagreements between the various provinces.  The USA had the same issue with small states and large states.  The house of representatives where members come from each province in relative numbers might be nice, but the Thais in power have fought that

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Absolutely.

Just look at the family names and and connections of the TRT, PPP and PTP and then remember a certain army general with the same surname who got promoted 3 grades above where he should have. Just by a co-incidence his cousin was the PM at the time.

I only mentioned it just to make sure that there were no double standards.

Quite correct and I remember quite a few generals resigning over the Shinawatra appointment, for I knew several at that time.

13 hours ago, sharecropper said:

I really think you have missed a fundamental point in trying to make a fatuous one. Brother and sister were democratically ELECTED. Something distinctly foreign in the increasingly Orwellian Nightmare blighting Thailand.

I don't think so at all.

So many people on TVF are complaining that the current military government have no experience in running a country, yet the previously "elected" PM had literally NO experience of politics, running a country or even working for a living and climbing the ladder of promotion.

Who did she work for previously? Her brothers company  as an "executive".