SURVEY: Is limiting visas to 2 land crossings per year a good idea?

SURVEY: Is limiting visas to 2 land crossings per year a good idea?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

BTW  I voted NO...............think it should be limited to 3...........very few true tourists enter/exit/re-enter/exit more than a couple times on one vacation...........its the others then want to limit, I stand by my comment 'long termers, get the visa'  The subject is visa at the border, not choice of transportation.   Merry Christmas

Some of us long termers are unable to get long term visas .

I ve been here six years on short term visas .

I am also not desperate to stay in Thailand .

With all the constant clampdowns and restrictions Thailands no longer a pleasant place to be .

Im just looking at other Countries to go and live , hopefully I should have decided by the end of the year and be gone somewhere else quite soon

Personally I think many long term tourists will be put off going to Thailand, it would put me off totally. There are other countries other than Thailand, even here in the Philippines it's so much easier , can stay here 36 months before you need to leave for 24 hours. Thailand has better infrastructure than the Philippines, but only allowing two visa runs might deter a lot of people 

I get the distinct impression that you guys who live in Thailand and are married to a Thai girl, look down on guys who stay in Thailand on tourist visas, like a form of snobbery. You go on about 'real tourists' like anyone else is  second class. 
Unless of course you can tell me why you don't like people staying on tourist visas. I was coming there but the stupid laws 90 day visa runs out me off. 
 Now I know a few of you will say good, we don't want your type here any way, but I am interested to know why.

And I think that many people's staying on retire or marry extension of stay as I will do forget that they can be impact too by futur change of rules so be kind to others

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

a single entry tourist visa with a 30 day extension  as well as two visa exempt entries in one year seems quite  a lot for a bonafide tourist. thats 150 days for a G7 resident. 

Visa  runners disguised as  tourists.?

Edited by elliss

18 minutes ago, draks said:

Personally I think many long term tourists will be put off going to Thailand, it would put me off totally. There are other countries other than Thailand, even here in the Philippines it's so much easier , can stay here 36 months before you need to leave for 24 hours. Thailand has better infrastructure than the Philippines, but only allowing two visa runs might deter a lot of people 

"might deter a lot of people"

Probably what they had in mind.

14 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

"might deter a lot of people"

Probably what they had in mind.

The Thai Government may want it , but the Thais who depend on tourists do not .

But lets face it , Thailand isnt a very pleasant place to be a  the moment .

And it will suit both the Thai Government and the long tern tourists if they went elsewhere

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Thai Government may want , but the Thais who depend on tourists do not .

And it will suit both the Thai Government and the long tern tourists if they went elsewhere

In your opinion of course. Thailand is always pleasant and wgy Would it suit Goverment and long stayers???

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

The Thai Government may want it , but the Thais who depend on tourists do not .

The people who use the visa exempt entry as intended will still come.  

Those who come and go on tourist visas will still come. 

Those who live here long-term on Non-Os will still be here. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

The people who use the visa exempt entry as intended will still come.  

Those who come and go on tourist visas will still come. 

Those who live here long-term on Non-Os will still be here. 

And people who stay in Thailand long term on tourist visas will still come , if they really want to .

Three tourist visas and two VES with extensions will last one year .

Thats not too difficult for people to do, if they really want to stay in Thailand

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

And people who stay in Thailand long term on tourist visas will still come , if they really want to .

Three tourist visas and two VES with extensions will last one year .

Thats not too difficult for people to do, if they really want to stay in Thailand

So, no issues then.  That was easy!  :smile:

• Like 1

IMHO a Government should look at both sides. These are businesses behind, etc.

To issue such a strong instruction would indicate that their is a strong thread coming from people doing visa runs.

Just to issue a instruction solves what? Did any visa runner cause a threat to national security, not that I am aware off.

I know of many people that did a couple of visa run and than got Non B and Work Permit, many of them forced to do a visa run because their (thai) employer or (thai) lawyer screwed up. 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Seems that way to me, but there again , the people whom I come into contact with are a very small fractional percentage of the entire population

So everyone you spend time with are miserable?  That's gotta suck.  Doesn't that make you miserable too? 

this is going to impact a lot on filipino's working as maids, teachers, hospital assistants and similar.

Their embassy has sent out a circular warning them to be prepared to look and move elswhere for employment.

A lot of places take months to process work permits and often many promised WP do not get issued.

These people are often on very low wages and find it financially difficult to travel to get TV's to keep them here for 90 days so they resort to border crossings every 15 days.

I feel thailand is going to have a great shortage of 'cheap labour' when these Filipinos (and possibly those from Cambodia) can no longer enter the country due to the new visa run regulations.

1 minute ago, WhamBam said:

this is going to impact a lot on filipino's working as maids, teachers, hospital assistants and similar.

Their embassy has sent out a circular warning them to be prepared to look and move elswhere for employment.

A lot of places take months to process work permits and often many promised WP do not get issued.

These people are often on very low wages and find it financially difficult to travel to get TV's to keep them here for 90 days so they resort to border crossings every 15 days.

I feel thailand is going to have a great shortage of 'cheap labour' when these Filipinos (and possibly those from Cambodia) can no longer enter the country due to the new visa run regulations.

Are you thinking you are living in the alternative Thailand the fully developed First World economy?

They have no shortage of maids, hospital assistants and cheap labour! All legal either from the native population or from Cambodia, Laos or Burma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhamBam said:

this i s going to impact a lot on filipino's working as maids, teachers, hospital assistants and similar.

CambodiANs wont Be affected due to the agreeMent between us

1 hour ago, WhamBam said:

I was at the Thai embassy in Vientiane last week and out of the 500 or so people getting tourist visas , over half of them were Filipinos and they all didnt seem to be tourists 

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Are you thinking you are living in the alternative Thailand the fully developed First World economy?

They have no shortage of maids, hospital assistants and cheap labour! All legal either from the native population or from Cambodia, Laos or Burma.

I'm thinking no such thing.

But I do know filipinos who are going to suffer because of this new ruling on border crossing.

Myself, I am well taught from a young age in the arts of looking after myself from laundry to decorating through plumbing, serious DIY and many other aspects of life. I do not need a maid or even a wife for those things in life.

8 hours ago, draks said:

I get the distinct impression that you guys who live in Thailand and are married to a Thai girl, look down on guys who stay in Thailand on tourist visas, like a form of snobbery. You go on about 'real tourists' like anyone else is  second class. 

Unless of course you can tell me why you don't like people staying on tourist visas. I was coming there but the stupid laws 90 day visa runs out me off. 

Now I know a few of you will say good, we don't want your type here any way, but I am interested to know why.

You answered your last question in your first sentence, some people who on retirement, marriage extensions etc seem to think they are better than those on TV'S and seem to think it gives them a right to dictate the Immigration laws

Like the rest of us they are not special (although they seem to think they are) and the rules could change at any time for them also

I for one would pee myself if they did,

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, lostinisaan said:

Sorry Scott,  but there should be one more option asking if "real tourists" should be allowed to do more land crossings.

The whole change was basically because too many people are working on tourist visas.

But people who have a Thai wife/child and enough cash should be allowed to do as many border crossings as they want. But this change will also have a very negative effect on let's call them "genuine tourists." 

And those who do not read about all the changes might get a strange wake-up call while his wife's maybe waiting with the car on the other side of the bridge, and the IO is following his laws. 

And that should be possible without applying for a Non-O. 

First, the question (and topic title) could have been more clearly worded since the new restriction - correct me if I'm wrong - applies to Visa Exempt entries, and not foreigners with actual visas.

IMO, the third option should be, "No, because some genuine tourists will be caught in the same fishing net with abusers of the visa exempt status."

If you have a Thai wife/child, you really should have the appropriate visa (non-Imm. 'O', isn't it?) and not be entering 'Visa Exempt', which is intended for tourists and not those essentially residing in the country.  'And don't understand why anyone would even suggest that there's no need for the Non-O, but debating that here is off-topic.  I'm the first to challenge arbitrary and capricious definitions of what a "tourist" is, but you have to concede that VE does get abused by those making these border runs just so they can remain in the country indefinitely, even by their own admission.  That plus those working illegally, plus long overstayers, plus bogus ED claims, etc., etc., etc.,  DO cause imm. clampdowns like this which inconvenience those playing by the rules, but I guess that's a fact of life.   Very very very few out of the vast numbers of air travelers worldwide are actual islamist militants, but because of them we ALL have to undergo the inconvenient, time-consuming, intrusive security screenings:  same thing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

There again, Thailand will no longer need many Filipino hotel workers because no tourists will be able to come here :)

How many tourists would be doing a visa exempt entry at a land border crossing for the 3rd time. Almost 0% chance of the change effecting the number of tourists.

12 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is actually brilliant, 2 nails in the coffin with one stroke of the hammer. 

See above.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, draks said:

It will only apply to land crossings so FIFO will be the same as before, for the moment, do your out/in by air have a hotel booking, flight ticker and cash to show and it should be ok.

Might vote later.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:55 AM, lostinisaan said:

Sorry Scott,  but there should be one more option asking if "real tourists" should be allowed to do more land crossings.

The whole change was basically because too many people are working on tourist visas.

But people who have a Thai wife/child and enough cash should be allowed to do as many border crossings as they want. But this change will also have a very negative effect on let's call them "genuine tourists." 

And those who do not read about all the changes might get a strange wake-up call while his wife's maybe waiting with the car on the other side of the bridge, and the IO is following his laws. 

And that should be possible without applying for a Non-O. 

Your comments, Spot on.

Edited by chainarong