Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt dies aged 68

rooster59

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

A bit like the Grateful Dead, big in the USA , but quite unheard of in the U.K

I would guess that the percentage of individuals (of that era) in the UK who have heard of GD is greater than the % in the US who have heard of SQ.

As it's Christmas I will not elaborate on my reasons for thinking so.

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Best single they ever made was the one that I bought. It was downhill from then on:

re Matchstick Men: Hadn't heard anything by them since, and that was nearly 50 years ago.

Edited by bendejo

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm another who was brought up on 'Quo two-chord-hits, another icon from our youth gone :(

Three chords actually ?

12 bar blues par excellance!

Saw them live in Stockholm in 1973.

Real people playing real instruments! I feel grateful to have lived through the best decades of popular music.....

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

re Matchstick Men: Hadn't heard anything by them since, and that was nearly 50 years ago.

You probably did, but didn't realise it was them smile.gif as it was the same as all the other stuff that was being put out by similar groups.

All their other singles after "Matchstick Men" were so similar they may as well have kept re-releasing the same single. Sometimes I think they did. 

I really don't understand why they had such a following. "Matchstick Men" was unique and very special, the rest... meh.

In my opinion, of course.

RIP Rick.

7 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

I've never heard of him either but meanwhile, Keith Richards keeps going! :smile:

I liked SQ and saw them live. As for Keith if have read his book Life which is a great read by the way..you would wonder why he is still alive. Longviety runs in his family. Quess it's good to have good genes.

Hard to have missed Status Quo if you lived and rocked in the seventies or eighties.  Certainly a bad year for losing some of the Icons.  Bowie and Cohen  probably the most recognisable.

Grateful Dead were another good band, even in the UK! 

And Prince don't forget! It's a shame but time is moving on and all these stars from the 60's & 70's will continue dropping even more - apart from Keef!

Just now, DMC1 said:

And Prince don't forget! It's a shame but time is moving on and all these stars from the 60's & 70's will continue dropping even more - apart from Keef!

I think Keef and the boys will go on for a while yet.  Obviously sex, drugs and rock and roll is the answer!

10 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

You probably did, but didn't realise it was them smile.gif as it was the same as all the other stuff that was being put out by similar groups.

All their other singles after "Matchstick Men" were so similar they may as well have kept re-releasing the same single. Sometimes I think they did. 

I really don't understand why they had such a following. "Matchstick Men" was unique and very special, the rest... meh.

In my opinion, of course.

RIP Rick.

MM was a hit in 1968, which meant it was played on AM radio.  FM was just coming into being, there were two stations in NYC at that time that played what came to be called progressive rock or album-oriented rock.  Woodstock, and the subsequent album that came out a year later was the catalyst for FM's arrival, at least from my perspective at the time.  AM never ever played album cuts.  Jimi who? 

I guess there was a sort of divide in the pop/rock market, top 40 AM vs progressive, and SQ fell into the former, along with Tommy James and the Shondells, The Archies, and lots of others I (thankfully) can't recall.  Once I heard FM ("couldn't believe what I heard at all!") I never went back. 

Edited by bendejo
typo

They were big in Scandinavia as well , I think all over Europe but not in the US. 

I agree that they "lost it" in the 80's , even if "In The Arny Now" was a nice commercial hit all over Europe. 

On 12/25/2016 at 7:05 AM, Ulysses G. said:

I am old and really into music. However, It sounds like they were a lot more famous in the UK than the US. That would make sense.

but i thought they were '' rockin' all over the world''

Edited by steve187

Great live band; a good time always guaranteed for all.

RIP, Rick; a local boy, and ex neighbour and my sister's ex school fellow (few years ahead though), made good.

Edited by 7by7
Had to change the video as YouTube wouldn't allow embedding the one I originally chose!

On 12/25/2016 at 11:05 AM, Ulysses G. said:

I am old and really into music. However, It sounds like they were a lot more famous in the UK than the US. That would make sense.

Huge in Australia it was also an era when America wouldn't accept anything from outside.  Like Aussie movies that had to be dubbed with American accents to be accepted.

Edited by Thechook

On Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 6:03 PM, dunroaming said:

Hard to have missed Status Quo if you lived and rocked in the seventies or eighties.  Certainly a bad year for losing some of the Icons.  Bowie and Cohen  probably the most recognisable.

Grateful Dead were another good band, even in the UK! 

And you can add George Michael to the list.

Huge in Australia it was also an era when America wouldn't accept anything from outside.  Like Aussie movies that had to be dubbed with American accents to be accepted.

The reason for that resistance to subtitles. Trainspotting had subtitles in the US. I saw "Mad Max" original debut at an ArtHouse theatre in Berkeley CA. Brilliant with the Original Aussie soundtrack. (Most Americans don't know Mel Gibson ditched his accent).