webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, masuk said:

The warning systems would need to be in better condition than the evacuation signs, which are not in good condition,  faded, damaged.

Just as well we've been assured that there is "...No serious tsunami threat for Thailand in near future..."

tsunami_sign.jpg

Photo from http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/78838-lessons-tsunami-disaster-amnesia

7 hours ago, webfact said:

In boosting preparedness, relevant parties on various fronts including the Thailand Research Fund (TRF) have emphasised the need to educate people about natural-disaster threats. 

Its the man made disasters that worry me. Maybe the TRF could meander off in that direction for a bit. They do not get as much press as the ones mother nature throw at us from time to time thus politico's must make political hay while the sun shines impressing us with their awareness. 

Nothing like a good dose of stupidity on a Monday morning. How can these idiots make such arbitrary, even irresponsible, statements like "Thailand is unlikely to be affected by another deadly tsunami any time soon..."??? Earthquake expert or not, even the best of them cannot predict when an earthquake will occur. And, as far as being prepared is concerned, how many of those 'warning systems' still work... hmm?

4 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

How is it that in Thailand there never seems to be a "threat" from anything...terrorism...tsunami.....diseases.....etc etc etc.....amazing....This must be the safest place in the world...:sad:

I think mostly it is safe....just look both ways when crossing the road.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Trust us we are Thai, Thailand safe krab.

That's why they removed ALL the bins from the markets/streets/mall entrances and gave training to Phang-na inhabitants how to deal in case of a tsunami.

Yesterday we drove into the parkinggarage of a big Central mall, waited for the girl in the booth to open the electric barrier.......there was nobody in the booth!! They stopped with that so everybody can drive in/out now unchecked.

4 weeks ago they even had security to let us open the carboot and now there's nobody at all. So i feel vely safe now.

Typical half-arsed approach to safety and security. Look at the farce at the BTS and MRT stations. They stop ONE person with a bag, but three to five people with bags/backpacks walk past. And, are these people even trained to look for bombs, or do they expect the bombs to look like a sticks of dynamites with the brand 'ACME' on it?

I was at the Marriott at Jakarta in 2013. That's four years after the 2009 suicide bombing, and 10 years after the car bomb,  yet security was still at the tightest. Taxis approaching the hotel were thoroughly checked by security personnel who looked like they know what they were doing, and every one and every bag was screened (akin to the screening process at major airports) before you even get onto the hotel grounds, never mind the lobby. Do I feel safer? Not necessarily, but at least I know these people take security seriously. Life has to go on, and no matter what happens, at least I know we did what we could to be safe.

In Thailand - they just arbitrarily roll a 'mirror' (honestly, some of these are so crappy, you can't even see your own reflection on it!) under a vehicle without even looking (if they bother to stop you at all, to start with) and then wave you past. So many vans, buses and other vehicles wait in front of lobbies of major hotels. Any one of these could be 'it'. Of course, any stricter form of security will result in 'loss of face', 'bad image for the country' and 'will scare tourists away', so there.

Sometimes, it feels like we're better off on our own when it comes to our safety and security in Thailand.

Finally some good news, one Tsunami here in Khao Lak for me to see, was already enough ! If I would believe it would strike again, I wouldn't have built up my business here all over again !

For all you cynical people making remarks above,  I truly hope to see you leave and s..d off to another country where you have more trust in the people and experts !

12 hours ago, optad said:

How can you possibly state there is 'no serious tsunami  in the near future' ? 

Can hardly predict the weather let alone earthquakes. 

This is a "Foot in Mouth" statement which I hope will nether come back to haunt the idiots who said it...

Maybe a more accurate statement should have read: "We see not heightened risk of a major tsunami in the near future"  

Finally some good news, one Tsunami here in Khao Lak for me to see, was already enough ! If I would believe it would strike again, I wouldn't have built up my business here all over again !
For all you cynical people making remarks above,  I truly hope to see you leave and s..d off to another country where you have more trust in the people and experts !

You are joking, right?!
Otherwise, this wins "Dumbest post of the Thread"- award!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect