NO, not a Retirement/Marriage-VISA, Extension of stay it is!!!

Thank you very much.

This "theatrical" presentation has certainly helped to clarify for me, in a very accessible way, some aspects of non-immigrant status .

The style should be used more often.

Edited by Enoon

8 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Ooops, I think you slipped more than once there my friend.... your 90 retirement-VISA is probably a 90 day report, confirming your address, nothing else...

Or what??

Glegolo

Correct big boy and  luckily

done out of issuing area as well, phew no questions asked.... saved  me a trip back to pattaya

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glegolo said:

Finally some reactions.... maybe this will teach the most stubborn guys among us, to try to learn, even if we are old, there is still time to learn a bit, inbetween whatever you guys are doing...

A VISA is a VISA and an extenstion of stay is an Extension of stay..... How hard can it be to learn that?

Glegolo

You can call it Visa, Extension of stay, Stamp or what ever you want it will not make me sleep bad...

Edited by Jedsada3
  • Like 1

"Correct big boy and  luckily

done out of issuing area as well, phew no questions asked.... saved  me a trip back to pattaya"

So where did you go instead? Penang or Vientiane!?

Edited by OJAS

My 2bt worth...written by hand last year, on my 90 day slip just before my yearly renew... "Your Retirement Visa expires in 45 days", when the officer handed me back my passport, he did not fold the slip, but told me to " Read what I write on receipt please".

1 minute ago, edwardflory said:

My 2bt worth...written by hand last year, on my 90 day slip just before my yearly renew... "Your Retirement Visa expires in 45 days", when the officer handed me back my passport, he did not fold the slip, but told me to " Read what I write on receipt please".

We have, several of us, at many times, commented on this issue, that the employees of the Immigration, themselfes do not know the correct terms....

But to have uneducated 3rd world officers not knowing the correct wording,, doesn´t give the rest of us westerners the right to lean back, and dont care shit about anything.

By doing that, we are just being the same as they are, and I do not think that this is what you want. or what??

Glegolo

• Like 1

Most definitions of a visa go something like: An edorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed enter, leave or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

But is it,? Many 'visas' are not evidenced in a passport but are electronic. The UK (FCO) call the evidence of a visa placed in a passport a vignette!! Australia calls it a 'visa evidence'.

If we go back to the above definition a visa it can be an endorsement on a passport indication that the holder is allowed to stay for a specified period of time in a country (remember the effect of the or). Is that not what an 'extension of stay' does?

Now I do use what the OP would describe as the correct terms but then they are something that I am very familiar with.

I do however believe that most of those who are being so prescriptive about the use of the correct terms are being pedantic. I can not recall an occasion where I was confused by the questions of someone seeking advice. However, many times I have been confused by the answers given although not usually when given by the OP, Ubonjoe and a couple of other wise sages. 

I have a stamp in my passoprt that evidences that Immigration have agin extended my stay granted under my original visa.!!

So is it a visa or it an extension of stay or is it both!!

• Like 1

If people are asking for advice they need to use the correct terms. Numerous threads on here causing confusion and incorrect advice due to the wrong wording. People visa exempt who insist they have a visa. Retirement causes a few problems due to people not explaining they have an A/O or extension. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GOF said:

Most definitions of a visa go something like: An edorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed enter, leave or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

Now I do use what the OP would describe as the correct terms but then they are something that I am very familiar with.

I do however believe that most of those who are being so prescriptive about the use of the correct terms are being pedantic. I can not recall an occasion where I was confused by the questions of someone seeking advice. However, many times I have been confused by the answers given although not usually when given by the OP, Ubonjoe and a couple of other wise sages. 

I have a stamp in my passport that evidences that Immigration have agin extended my stay granted under my original visa.!!

You say that you are familiar with VISA´s,, But I wonder if you really understand, and have the grasp of the real context???? I sees it this way, right or wrong!!

"A VISA gives you the right to enter the soil of Thailand, you are then granted time by the I.Officer upon arrivel a so called PERIOD OF STAY." 

"When time is up on this PERIOD OF STAY, you can extend it,, and THAT is called EXTENSION OF STAY...In other words; EXTENSION OF THE PERIOD OF STAY....  OK???

So when somebody gets confused over questions, where the guy is asking a question, and describing his own situation in a completely wrong wording,,, THEN there will be problem in helping him in a correct way....

Hope you understand what I am writing, as english is not my first language, but instead my thoughts they are.

Glegolo

I for one when talking to someone also call it a retirement visa, understand exactly what someone is talking about when they mention it, and is far easier to explain to someone new when calling it exactly that. 

The only reason i would call it an extention of stay would be on here to stop the moaning moaning moaning, pedantic brigade (as someone has already stated)  trying to start a whole new topic on it over my original question.

which ever way you look at it your extention of stay is generated originally by the retirement visa.

Get a life people !!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

The only way of dealing with such people, I think, would be to inform them that the only way in which they could "renew their visas" would be for them to make quarterly trips to places like Vientiane or Penang in order to obtain fresh real genuine McCoy single-entry non-O visas! :smile:

Nah, tell them they have to go ASAP to their nearest Imm' office and SHOUT at everybody. It's the only way they will get things done.

45 minutes ago, GOF said:

But is it,? Many 'visas' are not evidenced in a passport but are electronic. The UK (FCO) call the evidence of a visa placed in a passport a vignette!! Australia calls it a 'visa evidence'.

If we go back to the above definition a visa it can be an endorsement on a passport indication that the holder is allowed to stay for a specified period of time in a country (remember the effect of the or). Is that not what an 'extension of stay' does?

I have a stamp in my passoprt that evidences that Immigration have agin extended my stay granted under my original visa.!!

Well,,,, sort of.

I for one when talking to someone also call it a retirement visa, understand exactly what someone is talking about when they mention it, and is far easier to explain to someone new when calling it exactly that. 
The only reason i would call it an extention of stay would be on here to stop the moaning moaning moaning, pedantic brigade (as someone has already stated)  trying to start a whole new topic on it over my original question.
which ever way you look at it your extention of stay is generated originally by the retirement visa.
Get a life people !!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately there is a retirement visa and a retirement permission to stay. If you want the correct advice best to mention what you actually have.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Visa and Extension of Stay are just names for "similar" but "different" ways of staying in Thailand and they are all to often used interchangeably like they are identical things (which they are not) which can cause confusion.  

A camel is similar to a horse, 4 legs, head and an ass end but they're not the same.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Visa and Extension of Stay are just names for "similar" but "different" ways of staying in Thailand and they are all to often used interchangeably like they are identical things (which they are not) which can cause confusion.  

A camel is similar to a horse, 4 legs, head and an ass end but they're not the same.

What the OP said in his first post is 100% correct and I take the point that people who post will only get the correct information if they supply the correct details.

eg A post of the following.

I have been here on a visa for 3 years and have done all my 90 day reports wish to do such and such now.

When it's pointed out that they are most likely on an extension and the details are explained to them they start arguing that point instead of reading the genuine information given by the likes of UBJ and a few others.

In many cases they end up with problems of their own making and wrongly blame TV for giving them duff info' which is in fact correct.

Edit just to add that I am on my 12th or so visa had many WP's and have never done a 90 report to Imm' in the past 12 years or so, only TM 28/30.

Got slip in passport.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

A visa is permission to enter and stay in the country. So I don't see why people cannot call it a visa extension. No, they are not getting a new visa but they are extending their stay which was granted from the visa in the first place.  It is common vernacular in most countries to say "extending my visa" . If you know what they are talking about especially since you are able to correct them, then perhaps just forgive people using different nomenclature for the same thing.

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

What the OP said in his first post is 100% correct and I take the point that people who post will only get the correct information if they supply the correct details.

eg A post of the following.

I have been here on a visa for 3 years and have done all my 90 day reports wish to do such and such now.

When it's pointed out that they are most likely on an extension and the details are explained to them they start arguing that point instead of reading the genuine information given by the likes of UBJ and a few others.

In many cases they end up with problems of their own making and wrongly blame TV for giving them duff info' which is in fact correct.

In fact the person could have been here on the same visa for 3 years. Yes, he/she gets the annual extension but it is still the same visa.  Yes, they are granted extensions, but what are they extending? They are extending their visa, which is the legal term for the document that gives permission to stay in a country.

From the Thai Immigration website:

There are a number of options when it comes to extending your Thai visa and this would depend on the type of visa you have in your passport. We will list the most common Thailand visa options and extension options. If you have any questions then ask us on the chat messenger or better yet walk into any of our offices in Thailand for assistance with your visa.

Thai Marriage Visa:

This visa is valid for 90 days once you enter Thailand and can be extended to 1 year at Thai Immigration if you meet the requirements for the visa extension. We have listed the requirements here.

Thai Retirement Visa:

This is a visa for those over the age of 50 and who meet the financial requirements as listed on this website. This extension is done at Thai immigration in Bangkok if the requirements are met and these requirements have been listed here.

Thai Tourist Visa:

This is a 60 day visa and can be extend at Thai immigration in Bangkok or Thai Immigration in Pattaya or Phuket if you pay the 1,900 THB fee for an additional 30 days or another extension of another 7 days. This has been listed here.

Thai Multiple Entry Visa:

These can be extended. If it is a marriage visa it is explained here. If it is a business visa it is explained here. The Business visa can only be extended with a work permit. The tourist visa can be extend for an additional 30 days after the first 60 days have lapsed. This is explained here.

www.thaiimmigration.net/extending-your-thai-visa.html

Edited by EddieBaBaBoBo
Add link

" Extend your stay in the United States by filing a visa extension request with the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) using Form I-539 "

Yes, technically people are extending their stay, but it is a common expression to say extend one's visa and even used on US government websites.

5 hours ago, jpinx said:

You can get a visa from immigration within Thailand.

You can get a conversion of your visa ENTRY  and you can get a visa on arrival (only for nationals of a few countries) and I suppose you can get these exotic multi-year visas, but the visas most people seek cannot be obtained within the country.

5 hours ago, poohy said:

i would hasten to add i know very few other foreigners who live here who do visit this site

any way bored of playing with you now:post-4641-1156693976:

Loss of face seems to cause some people to throw hissy fits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zeichen said:

A visa is permission to enter and stay in the country. So I don't see why people cannot call it a visa extension. No, they are not getting a new visa but they are extending their stay which was granted from the visa in the first place.  It is common vernacular in most countries to say "extending my visa" . If you know what they are talking about especially since you are able to correct them, then perhaps just forgive people using different nomenclature for the same thing.

In fact the person could have been here on the same visa for 3 years. Yes, he/she gets the annual extension but it is still the same visa.  Yes, they are granted extensions, but what are they extending? They are extending their visa, which is the legal term for the document that gives permission to stay in a country.

You are wrong in several ways, you can read my former post explaining.... But a VISA is allowing you to enter the kingdom NOT to stay here. That stay; PERMISSION TO STAY or PERIOD OF STAY is granted by the I.officer....

You are saying they are extending their VISA;,,,,,, NO... and NO,,,,, and NO..... They are extending their PERIOD OF STAY..

Glegolo

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EddieBaBaBoBo said:

That is not a official website. From the bottom of the page you got it from.

THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE THAI IMMIGRATION NOR CONNECTED TO ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCIES.

It was set up by law firm. You will see their adverts all over the site.

14 minutes ago, EddieBaBaBoBo said:

And at the very bottom of that website it states ( the all caps are theirs, not mine):

THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE THAI IMMIGRATION NOR CONNECTED TO ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCIES.

Edit: Oops. DIdn't see UBJ's post of the same thing.

Edited by Suradit69