NO, not a Retirement/Marriage-VISA, Extension of stay it is!!!

40 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Non Immigrant O ME Visas.

I often wonder what happens if you become to infirm to keep making those border runs?

Ok so maybe my 'last' post wasn't my last post.

I will probably not be in Thailand or I will change to a retirement extension.

2 hours ago, MANFROMBOCA said:

p.s. im sure you do a lot of help on this board  just lighten up a bit , you obviously understand what is being asked. so just be helpful and answer the question with a little side note correction,,,  no worries

It is not "obviously understood" what is being asked if the wrong terminology is being used - unless, of course, one is a qualified mind reader or in possession of a reliable crystal ball....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Then you switch to one of those extension things and put yourself in the hands of immigrations swerves and whims.?

Lets face it, if you haven't got the means to fit in with the requirements of the country you want to retire in then that isn't really the  problem of that country.

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

For every one that you get to "get it" there will be a another 10 new ones that don't and it will never stop

Are you going to spend your life on repeat posting on the boards trying to get them to 'get it" ?

I think you need to get a life

In that case so do teachers in UK trying to teach kids who don't want to learn need to get a life! Really??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MANFROMBOCA said:

now if i leave the country on my 90 day retirement report is a reentry visa that i need to get ???  or is it that i have a retirement stamp and need a reentry permit on my 90 day visa?? im so confused and im unable to sleep please help

Only the Royal Thai Consulate in Patagonia would be able to help you out before you could return to LOS...

10 hours ago, glegolo said:

Yes it is like UbonJoe says, when not even the employees at the Immigration offices knows the correct terms. VISA when it is in fact an Extension of stay, so sure not easy for common man to know this stuff.

BUT, there are too many people that just dont get´s it.. They see poster, after poster, after poster, saying to them.. it is wrong.... it is like this..... But they just dont have the strength to learn.....

No personally, I do not understand these people.. new country, new language, and new surroundings, and do not have the..."What"?? To try to use this excellent forum to learn finally....

Lazy it is what it is.....I think.... Lazy......

Glegolo

Personally I think the confusion of the wording stems from our own countries, i.e. Retirement Visa, Marriage Visa, if we didn't have to renew the visa's here every year, I suppose we would solve the problem, i.e. Retirement Visa would mean a Retirment Visa and a Marriage Visa would mean a Marriage Visa as we would cll it for my wife in Australia, the confusion I believe arises from having to apply for an "extension of stay" every year, I know what it all means, took me a while, not as sharp as I used to be, few brain cells popped here and there from me allowing the mind to go lazy while retired, as opposed to it being fried back in the old country.

Perhaps one day when the "extension of stay" is removed from Retirement Visa's and Marriage Visa's then you there will be no more confusion, but don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jpinx said:

You can get a visa from immigration within Thailand.

True in theory, but not a Retirement or Marriage Visa that Glegolo is actually writing about.

The VISA ON ARRIVAL allows passport holders of 19* countries to enter Thailandunder this rule provided that they meet these requirements: The visit is strictly fortourism purposes. ... You must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate.Nov 23, 2016

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

True but you have to qualify for an extension of stay of some kind and not all extensions qualify to get one. Also the visa is only valid for the date it is issued and is immediately used when a 90 day entry is stamped.

Immigration does also issue the PE visa for Thai Elite.

Joe, i have a question. Is there such a thing as the "Elite Visa", or is ELITE just the name of a program under which somebody gets granted a 5/10  year "permit of stay under the Elite scheme"  

2 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

Joe, i have a question. Is there such a thing as the "Elite Visa", or is ELITE just the name of a program under which somebody gets granted a 5/10  year "permit of stay under the Elite scheme"  

You 'grant' them 500,000 or 1,000,000 baht and they 'grant you a visa, but, you still have to do 90 day reports if you live outside Bangkok. If you live in Bangkok they will collect your passport and do the 90 day report for you and return your passport.

Google it for more info. ☺

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You 'grant' them 500,000 or 1,000,000 baht and they 'grant you a visa, but, you still have to do 90 day reports if you live outside Bangkok. If you live in Bangkok they will collect your passport and do the 90 day report for you and return your passport.

Google it for more info. ☺

thank you, yet I have already read about the Elite program years ago. All i asked for is, how do you call this type of permit of stay?  As there is nothing such as a "retirement visa", does this also go for the Elite Card?  Is there an "Elite Visa"  or is this term wrong, too?  Should it read "Permit of stay under the Elite program" or do you "hold an Elite Visa" ?

Edited by crazygreg44

4 hours ago, zeichen said:

A visa is permission to enter and stay in the country. So I don't see why people cannot call it a visa extension. No, they are not getting a new visa but they are extending their stay which was granted from the visa in the first place.  It is common vernacular in most countries to say "extending my visa" . If you know what they are talking about especially since you are able to correct them, then perhaps just forgive people using different nomenclature for the same thing.

In fact the person could have been here on the same visa for 3 years. Yes, he/she gets the annual extension but it is still the same visa.  Yes, they are granted extensions, but what are they extending? They are extending their visa, which is the legal term for the document that gives permission to stay in a country.

I disagree, my understanding is, yes a visa allows you to enter a country, and for a specif period of time, once it expires the visa is finished, that is why they allow you to apply for an "extension of stay", governments do not grant extensions to visa's, although a lot of confusion in the terminology is there on Google, even from some government websites.

I suppose it makes it for easier understanding, in actual fact, what they mean is "extension of stay", sure the source can be traced back to a retirement or marriage visa, but a visa per-say means that: it is an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.  

Having cleared that up, a visa to me would be something like my wife received when she was in Australia, i.e. a spouse visa which did not require an extension of stay, it granted here as much rights as any Ozzie, including a tax file number, Medicare entitlements, family A & B payments and to work if she wanted to, and was the next step to her obtaining citizenship which she did a few years later, so that now she has dual citizenship, the visa being cancelled out as soon as she received her citizenship.

To sum it up from my point of view, a visa is granted for entering countries and you may apply for an extension of stay, therefore visa's should be looked at as if they are for permanent stay uses, e.g. spouse visa, etc etc, although I suppose I can understand someone saying that I just applied for an extension of stay EOS for my original retirement/marriage visa which was approved for another 12 months with the usual 90 day reporting.

I think the only permanent visa in Thailand without any 90 reporting or renewal is called Thai Citizenship (visa)......lol 

5 hours ago, EddieBaBaBoBo said:

From the Thai Immigration website: *****

(i didn't see others had already answered to this)

www.thaiimmigration.net/extending-your-thai-visa.html

***** THIS is NOT from an official Thai government Website, and it is NOT from the "Thai Immigration" website. this is a privately set-up website and just expresses the opinion of it's authors.  Who, by the way, are using the wrong term !

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Lets face it, if you haven't got the means to fit in with the requirements of the country you want to retire in then that isn't really the  problem of that country.

No not at all your saying people who get non o visa somehow do not fit the requirements. My husband could and has over the years had reirement/married extensions but every year you go to immigration there is always something new not standard through this country as can easily be read on here. So when I said whims and swerves it was aimed at local immigrations making up there own rules putting obstacles in way it's not smooth anymore as it was. So my husband decided on the non o visa route only immigration you talk to is at borders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

No not at all your saying people who get non o visa somehow do not fit the requirements. My husband could and has over the years had reirement/married extensions but every year you go to immigration there is always something new not standard through this country as can easily be read on here. So when I said whims and swerves it was aimed at local immigrations making up there own rules putting obstacles in way it's not smooth anymore as it was. So my husband decided on the non o visa route only immigration you talk to is at borders. 

just today I went to the Immigration for my annual extension.  I got it, all was well.  Then I asked them for a "Certificate of Residence"  which I need in January on a visit to the Department of Traffic.  Immigration then told me,  that the certificates of residence have been discontinued, and nobody needs them, and all Immigration Offices in Thailand have stopped issueing them.   

I relented to argue it with them and drove home.  Now after some conversations I have had with others, all I can say this was just rubbish from Immigration officials who don't know it better or thought up a reason to refuse a CoR for me.

5 hours ago, zeichen said:

" Extend your stay in the United States by filing a visa extension request with the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) using Form I-539 "

Yes, technically people are extending their stay, but it is a common expression to say extend one's visa and even used on US government websites.

actually the Visa you entered with will have been used upon entry - and rendered invalid AFTER your entry. So technically you cannot extend an invalid Visa any longer

Edited by crazygreg44

26 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

thank you, yet I have already read about the Elite program years ago. All i asked for is, how do you call this type of permit of stay?  As there is nothing such as a "retirement visa", does this also go for the Elite Card?  Is there an "Elite Visa"  or is this term wrong, too?  Should it read "Permit of stay under the Elite program" or do you "hold an Elite Visa" ?

I have an Elite visa in my passport ; it is a piece of paper rather than a stamp and has the words "Privilege Entry Visa'   and then " Multiple Entry" across the top; so I would guess its a Visa. 

• Like 1

Can we look at it this way?

Certain options are open to you if you enter on a visa paid for and issued to you from a consulate or embassy outside Thailand.

Certain options are open to you when you have changed to an extension of stay issued to you at an Imm' office in Thailand.

If you post on TV asking for information on matters related to WP's length of time you can stay and what you can do during that stay then knowing what your visa/extension is means you get a quick clear answer.

56 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

It is a lovely big gold coloured visa stuck full page in your passport. Call it a 5 or 10 year multi entry visa, but, you don't have to leave and return every 90 days as I do on my 1 year multi visa.

As posted before you still are required to do 90 day reports.

You can leave and return as you wish at any time etc .

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Personally I think the confusion of the wording stems from our own countries, i.e. Retirement Visa, Marriage Visa, if we didn't have to renew the visa's here every year, I suppose we would solve the problem, i.e. Retirement Visa would mean a Retirment Visa and a Marriage Visa would mean a Marriage Visa as we would cll it for my wife in Australia, the confusion I believe arises from having to apply for an "extension of stay" every year, I know what it all means, took me a while, not as sharp as I used to be, few brain cells popped here and there from me allowing the mind to go lazy while retired, as opposed to it being fried back in the old country.

Perhaps one day when the "extension of stay" is removed from Retirement Visa's and Marriage Visa's then you there will be no more confusion, but don't hold your breath.

OMG!

Some live and learn, some never learn.

There is no such thing as a Marriage Visa, there is no such thing as a Retirement Visa.

There are;

• Non Imm O SE Visas
  • Non Imm O ME Visas
  • Non Imm O-A Visas

All available from Thai Embassies/Consulates (provided you can meet the criteria)  and can be obtain for the purpose of intended retirement or marriage in Thailand

OR

There are 'extension of stay' based on either Retirement or Marriage obtained from local Immigration offices.

And No! When you state Retirement or Marriage Visa, I do not own a crystal ball and although I understand you are referring to one of the above choices, I may make an educated guess and narrow it to two options, but I still don't know exactly what you have in your passport.

8 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

just today I went to the Immigration for my annual extension.  I got it, all was well.  Then I asked them for a "Certificate of Residence"  which I need in January on a visit to the Department of Traffic.  Immigration then told me,  that the certificates of residence have been discontinued, and nobody needs them, and all Immigration Offices in Thailand have stopped issueing them.   

I relented to argue it with them and drove home.  Now after some conversations I have had with others, all I can say this was just rubbish from Immigration officials who don't know it better or thought up a reason to refuse a CoR for me.

Lucky we have yellow book and ID card for husband not need Certificate from Immigration. But before had those he used to go to police station for certificate lot easier and no problem. Always gave them some bhat as a thank you. Before the it's free if you pay tea money you make it worse for rest come in and start up to you if you not want to give don't give he did as he wanted to money never asked for.

9 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

As I wrote a PE visa is issued after a Thai Elite membership is approved and paid for. It is a multiple entry visa valid for 5 years that allows unlimited 1 year entries for those 5 years. A one year extension can also be applied for (1900 baht) for a the one year entry if you choose not to leave the country.

A visa is a document which tells the immigration officer at the point of entry that you have been "vetted" by whoever issued the visa. It does not carry any "permission" to enter - that is conferred by the immigration officer at your point of entry. The validity of the visa tells the Immigration officer at the point of entry what the last date of entry may be.  The Visa in itself carries no rights or privileges. 

The Immigration officer at the point of entry is the person who will let you in or not, and tell you how long you can stay and what else you can do, like going out and coming back in, all to be completed before the visa validity expires at the latest entry date.  The Immigration officer at the point of entry will stamp your passport with an entry stamp giving you permission to stay and showing the date you entered and the date you must leave.

If you go through the process of gaining an extension, it will be an extension of your permission to stay. The actual wording on the stamp  is "Extension of Stay".

It should be noted that the crucial point of the process is when you are interviewed by the immigration officer at your point of entry.  He has the authority to say yes or no, regardless of what visa might be in the passport.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jpinx said:

A visa is a document which tells the immigration officer at the point of entry that you have been "vetted" by whoever issued the visa. It does not carry any "permission" to enter - that is conferred by the immigration officer at your point of entry. The validity of the visa tells the Immigration officer at the point of entry what the last date of entry may be.  The Visa in itself carries no rights or privileges. 

The Immigration officer at the point of entry is the person who will let you in or not, and tell you how long you can stay and what else you can do, like going out and coming back in, all to be completed before the visa validity expires at the latest entry date.  The Immigration officer at the point of entry will stamp your passport with an entry stamp giving you permission to stay and showing the date you entered and the date you must leave.

If you go through the process of gaining an extension, it will be an extension of your permission to stay. The actual wording on the stamp  is "Extension of Stay".

It should be noted that the crucial point of the process is when you are interviewed by the immigration officer at your point of entry.  He has the authority to say yes or no, regardless of what visa might be in the passport.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the stamps in my current passport also say, "Application of stay is permitted up to _____".  No where in my passport does it say extension.

The form to apply for the stay until does say Extension in the title of the form.

Edited by hml367

6 minutes ago, hml367 said:

As mentioned in an earlier post, the stamps in my current passport also say, "Application of stay is permitted up to _____".  No where in my passport does it say extension.

The form to apply for the stay until does say Extension.

Which confirms the often repeated commentary that immigration offices vary.  ;)