Thai Govt approves legal farming of hemp under new drug plan

webfact

Govt approves legal farming of hemp under new drug plan
By Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai 
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PEOPLE in parts of the North will be able to start farming hemp – legally – from next year.

“The Cabinet has already approved hemp as an economic plant,” Sirinya Sittichai, secretary-general of the Narcotics Control Board, said yesterday.

“The Thailand Tobacco Monopoly will buy the harvest from growers.”

The plantation areas are 15 districts in six provinces – Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Phetchabun, Mae Hong Son and Tak.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302983

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-28

Two problems I see here.first the Tabacco monopoly will either set the price so low it will match growing the likes of rice and other crops that are already being grown or if it turns out to be a high price and the whole of northern Thailand starts growing it and flooding the market and bringing the price down.only time will tell.hopefully it will be a good thing for the farmers as times are tough for them.also maybe there maybe other industries come out of the hemp as it can be used to make so many different things such as clothing,paper,beauty products and food for instance butter and flour.its about time the government opened up the door on this versatile crop that has no use in smoking as it is of a low thc level.

Great idea. Hemp is historically one of the most useful plants for everything from making rope to treating disease forced out of favour by the ill-starred global war on drugs and a pharmaceutical industry unable to patent the stuff for big profits.

2 hours ago, The man from udon said:

Two problems I see here.first the Tabacco monopoly will either set the price so low it will match growing the likes of rice and other crops that are already being grown or if it turns out to be a high price and the whole of northern Thailand starts growing it and flooding the market and bringing the price down.only time will tell.hopefully it will be a good thing for the farmers as times are tough for them.also maybe there maybe other industries come out of the hemp as it can be used to make so many different things such as clothing,paper,beauty products and food for instance butter and flour.its about time the government opened up the door on this versatile crop that has no use in smoking as it is of a low thc level.

Massive potential, just hope it isn't monopolised . 

So.will they be growing it for drug use,or for the manufacture of ropes ,clothing,that type of thing,they grow quite a lot in Europe,legally,but not

for selling as drugs,it has had the THC,taken out of it.

Maybe they should first build warehouses,to store the inevitable glut that occurs

with a lot of agricultural crops here.

regards worgeordie

interesting that they need to study the medicinal effects of cannibinoids considering the US hold many patents for medicinal use already.

The benefits are widely known, nothing to study other than maybe the market. Just take a look at Colorado and the revenue they've generated

from legalizing it for whatever you want. Now that state has tons of money to invest in projects such as education that benefit the people.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

4 hours ago, The man from udon said:

flooding the market and bringing the price down

Yes in a free market.

But with the government being the only legal buyer it can control supply to the market; thus, providing price stability and predictability. No different than Prayut's rubber pledge stock program.

I notice that the old pot puffers have jumped on the story about super cures.we are talking about a plant with less than 1%thc and how it will benefit the farmers and country...it's a totally different plant to white widow/blue cheese/ak47 and all the 100s of strains with 20% or more thc.oh and before any of you start having a go about being anti ganja,ive smoked for 30 years and love it.as for cures I really don't know.when I'm sick I tend not to smoke as it amplifies the pain.in fact if it wasn't for all us weed lovers this plant may of started being grown here a long time ago.what the government don't know and many of joe public don't know is if the plant has 1% thc it can be extracted by various ways of ice-o-lator/gas-o-lator and is pure thc.heres some simple maths.say 1kg sell for 20baht,you buy 100kg ='2,000 baht then extract 1kg of pure thc..very very nice 70,000-100,000baht return.if they read this I'm in big shit.oh is that the time,must dash my flight out of here is in a couple of hours..happy new year to you all,I'm off.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

If and i say IF they can make that it will be exported anyway....to a place where they have big money in another currency.

As far as I know the uk is a jungle of cannabis now.is see a programme some time ago and all the old eastern block country's (Bulgaria etc) had villages with old people growing it all over the place and shed falls of the stuff that they couldn't sell.in the uk it's harder by far to find some cheap imported tobacco than some weed.one thing I can say it would be very hard to export pure thc because it smells like nothing else.it impregnates everything,anyway that's my bags packed and taxi on its way.ps I think drug dealers accept any currency but I don't think they take visa/MasterCard.

1 minute ago, The man from udon said:

As far as I know the uk is a jungle of cannabis now.is see a programme some time ago and all the old eastern block country's (Bulgaria etc) had villages with old people growing it all over the place and shed falls of the stuff that they couldn't sell.in the uk it's harder by far to find some cheap imported tobacco than some weed.one thing I can say it would be very hard to export pure thc because it smells like nothing else.it impregnates everything,anyway that's my bags packed and taxi on its way.ps I think drug dealers accept any currency but I don't think they take visa/MasterCard.

I think there'll be ricefields full of hemp soon if it's legal to grow. Thailand found itself a new exportproduct it seems.

Laying in a hammock all day, drinking lao kao, smoking ganja, yes that's what many backpackers would like to try i think so they'll be coming soon. Kao Sarn road will also get busy again and maybe the Chinese grouptours also would like to try it. This sure will change Thailand a lot i guess.

5 hours ago, The man from udon said:

I notice that the old pot puffers have jumped on the story about super cures.we are talking about a plant with less than 1%thc and how it will benefit the farmers and country...it's a totally different plant to white widow/blue cheese/ak47 and all the 100s of strains with 20% or more thc.oh and before any of you start having a go about being anti ganja,ive smoked for 30 years and love it.as for cures I really don't know.when I'm sick I tend not to smoke as it amplifies the pain.in fact if it wasn't for all us weed lovers this plant may of started being grown here a long time ago.what the government don't know and many of joe public don't know is if the plant has 1% thc it can be extracted by various ways of ice-o-lator/gas-o-lator and is pure thc.heres some simple maths.say 1kg sell for 20baht,you buy 100kg ='2,000 baht then extract 1kg of pure thc..very very nice 70,000-100,000baht return.if they read this I'm in big shit.oh is that the time,must dash my flight out of here is in a couple of hours..happy new year to you all,I'm off.

Why not Phrae????????? You've got experts going to "pot" here!! :smile::wai:

It's rather an odd press release. They specify that they will permit growing hemp, which as others have already pointed out is very low in THC and isn't worth smoking, but has innumerable uses in making many and varied commercial products.

So far, so good.

But then they go on to say that the crop will be sold to the Thai Tobacco Monopoly, which suggests (to me, anyway) that it will be used for smoking, because why else would the tobacco industry be involved?

Unless, of course, they intend to go into rope making as a sideline. But that doesn't really seem very likely.

Yes, all very strange. Unless something has got lost in translation. However, my wife just said to me as I was writing this (she's looking at a Thai news site on her laptop) that on there they refer to 'ganchong' (my rendering of what she said) as opposed to 'ganchaa', and as she understands it, the former is hemp, and the latter is what you smoke to get high.

"Curiouser and curiouser", cried Alice....