Mountain Dew in Thailand

ClareQuilty

I'm a huge fan of Mountain Dew, the caffeinated American soft drink, so I was very happy when it returned to Thailand a few years ago. For a while it was available everywhere, but recently it has been becoming very hard to find in 7-11 or any of the other convenience stores.

I get the feeling this product (like most products I prefer) is unpopular & may be disappearing. Does anyone else enjoy Mountain Dew &/or perhaps have some advice where it can still be found?

Actually, US sourced Mountain Dew contains brominated vegetable oil (BVO). Look that up and you will stop drinking MD immediately.

Interestingly, BVO is banned in many countries, so MD here is actually safer for you, since it does not contain BVO (last time I checked the label anyway). But the US grandfathered MD allowing them to continue adding BVO despite it being banned in the US for new products. 

When i order 7up i sometimes get MD, tastes the same to me, just sweet water without bubbles it is...also tastes the same as Coke or Pepsi...those drinks are not the same as in the west and sure not when there are no bubbles in it.

I never knew MD has caffeine.

Apparently noone has really replied to your question. I just came back from China and have found the same thing. Much to my disappointment as well...Regardless of what these other posters comment MD is my favorite soft drink and has been for 40 years. I guess their BVO comments about it being bad for you are incorrect. 

7s have almost completely stopped carrying it in their stock. I have found cases still being sold in Macros though. I will dread the day when they stop supplying it here. 

3 hours ago, tazly said:

could almost hear duelling banjos playing while I read the OP post

Haha, I'll readily admit my (mostly hidden) roots lie deep in Trumpland, but I'm an escapee, not a fan. Mountain Dew however wakes you up - better than anything else out there.

As for any health disadvantages I'm not one to worry about those. Health is entirely a matter of luck, not anything one can control.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and especially thesetat2013, I'll keep looking. Oh and thanks to DSPJC, reminded me of Kickapoo joy juice - not as good as Mountain Dew but a reasonable substitute.

Hi, I live in Samut Prakarn and Mountain Dew is on sale in Tesco here. I know that MD is probably no better/worse than any other soft drink but the bright yellow bottles always make me shudder. The thing about it making you feel more alert is you're actually experiencing caffeine withdrawal. It's the same for coffee drinkers and anyone else who regularly drinks caffeinated drinks. When you wake up in the morning, the 'tiredness' is really a symptom of needing caffeine. Once you have that fix, you feel better. If you like MD, a good way to wean yourself off it is to squeeze the juice of one lime into a glass of ice cold water and drink that instead. Or just head to Tescos! 

26 minutes ago, bendejo said:

MD is (was?)  a Pepsi product.

Used to be it was the most caffeinated beverage on the US market, before Red Bull et al came along.

I believe Jolt had more caffeine and that was released before Red Bull (which still has less caffeine).

Don't care for cola though. 

23 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Does 7/11 sell gasoline? I'd like to have some in the mornin'

No, but as you know Mountain Dew works as an slightly more expensive substitute for gasoline. 

• 2 months later...

Agreed, and I've looked everywhere. Can't even find the hugely marked-up imported stuff at Villa Market either. Unfortunately, it's become fairly obvious to me that Thai tastes run to the strictly conservative when it comes to soft drinks, and anything that isn't Cola, 7Up or Fanta hasn't got a chance in hell of succeeding here. Dr Pepper? Forget about it. Cherry or Vanilla Coke? Away with you. Like you say, so sad.

On 04/01/2017 at 8:42 PM, ClareQuilty said:

I don't like fast food. Alas now I've officially run out! can't find anywhere.. So sad - had to drink a Coke for breakfast this morning. :'(

:cheesy:

Coke for breakfast? :crazy:

Try a nice cup of tea instead.