Systematic military indoctrination of Thai kindergarteners advances police state

webfact

OPINION

Systematic military indoctrination of Thai kindergarteners advances police state
By John Draper 
Special to The Nation

BANGKOK: -- That the Royal Thai Military is instituting a programme for the systematic military indoctrination of schoolchildren should fill every thinking Thai citizen and foreigner with children in Thai schools with great disquiet.

Perhaps inspired by an earlier programme praised by the Secretary-General of the Basic Education Commission whereby kindergarteners in military uniforms were trained to perform Nazi salutes and march in formation in a Khon Kaen province community school, the Prayut administration is taking the next step towards a police state: a national programme of military indoctrination at boot camps for kindergarteners.

The children, who are four to five years old, are clad in uniforms and then trained in military exercises, including push-ups, crawling under netting, throwing grenades, and saluting, as part of the “land defender battalion” programme run by the 1st Infantry Battalion of the 29th Army Regiment in Kanchanaburi province. The indoctrination programme, now in the second wave, includes an emphasis on the 12 Core Values of Thai People and on King Rama IX’s philosophy of sufficiency economy, both of which embody advanced Buddhist concepts.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/30303112

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-30

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something similar happened at my girlfriend's college. There were no military exercises, but definitely a whole lot of propaganda.

Just a few weeks ago, my girlfriend told me this: "All classes were canceled today, because the army soldiers came to our school, and we had to listen to their talking for many hours".

I asked her what they were talking about, to which she replied: "They talked about a "certain family". They said many things about a "certain man", how great Thailand is, and that we have to love our country".

Sounds like indoctrination tactics to me.. Never question the system, fall in line, shut up, obey and like it?

Edited by ricku

There is a lot of indoctrination at Thai schools but i don't think it works well. When i went to pick up my 9 year old son at school i watched from a distance as they all sat on the ground outside and were lectured to by a man in uniform,they had to chant as well. I asked my son what it was all about, ''I don't know, i wasn't listening''. You had to chant something what did you have to shout out, ''I just made a noise''. Hey, you cant even make them wear a crash helmet let alone be enthusiastic about the Hitler youth movement.

The indoctrination is precisely why I took my two year old out of Thai Kindergarten, moved to Bangkok and put him in an international one. We planned to switch him at 8 or 9 years old, but even at two years old it was more than I was willing to allow.

Sounds like it's going to get worse.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Independent thinking is dangerous, that why its not on the curriculum! Just do as you are told and copy things down and repeat after me....you will never be asked what you think, everything will be taken care of.

Indoctrination can and does take many forms.

The most obvious ones were put in place by the Nazis, by all dictatorships from Europe to Africa and South America, and by all the Communist regimes, from Russia to China via Cuba.

The less obvious ones are to be seen in our Western World and have been in places for centuries. Our Western World which likes to brand itself the 'kingdom of free thought' and is everything but.

Westerners are indoctrinated at school too, where they are taught re-written history that glorifies their country and vilifies others, where they learn to love sports not for the physical achievement it represents but as a form of modern religion where narrow-minded nationalism and parochialism are encouraged.

Westerners are indoctrinated by the movie business, of which Hollywood is the leader. Every big movie that comes out of that huge mind-grinding machine is stuffed with subtle (and often not subtle at all) propaganda that presents the white race and the Western ways as superior, and the US as the country which saves the world over and over again.

Westerners are indoctrinated by the capitalist system and its main ally, advertising, which lead us to believe that consumerism and happiness are naturally linked, and creates fake desires which produce fake joy and eventually real frustration.

Westerners are indoctrinated by religious institutions, who are very much aware of the fact that indoctrinating the young is a lot easier and has much longer-lasting effects, so they massively hijack the 'education' system, for reasons which have nothing to do with Christian charity and everything to do with gaining power by controlling people's thoughts.

Between the two systems of indoctrination, the one without vaseline, and the one with vaseline, the first is of course the most painful, but the second is certainly the most pernicious.

Interestingly, under severe communist or fascist regimes, there is always a form of resistance which has produced a lot of remarkable works of art, and thus proved that human beings, in a system that tries to annihilate their thinking capacity, have a way of keeping it alive that forces respect. On the other hand, in the Western world, there is very little awareness of how heavily conditioned we all are, so in the end, who is the most indoctrinated ?

Edited by Yann55

2 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

The most obvious ones were put in place by the Nazis, by all dictatorships from Europe to Africa and South America, and by all the Communist regimes, from Russia to China via Cuba.

The less obvious ones are to be seen in our Western World and have been in places for centuries. Our Western World which likes to brand itself the 'kingdom of free thought' and is everything but.

Westerners are indoctrinated at school too, where they are taught re-written history that glorifies their country and vilifies others, where they learn to love sports not for the physical achievement it represents but as a form of modern religion where narrow-minded nationalism and parochialism are encouraged.

Westerners are indoctrinated by the movie business, of which Hollywood is the leader. Every big movie that comes out of that huge mind-grinding machine is stuffed with subtle (and often not subtle at all) propaganda that presents the white race and the Western ways as superior, and the US as the country which saves the world over and over again.

Westerners are indoctrinated by the capitalist system and its main ally, advertising, which lead us to believe that consumerism and happiness are naturally linked, and creates fake desires which produce fake joy and eventually real frustration.

Westerners are indoctrinated by religious institutions, who are very much aware of the fact that indoctrinating the young is a lot easier and has much longer-lasting effects, so they massively hijack the 'education' system, for reasons which have nothing to do with Christian charity and everything to do with gaining power by controlling people's thoughts.

Between the two systems of indoctrination, the one without vaseline, and the one with vaseline, the first is of course the most painful, but the second is certainly the most pernicious.

Interestingly, under severe communist or fascit regimes, there is always a form of resistance which has produced a lot of remarkable works of art, and thus proved that human beings, in a system that tries to annihilate their thinking capacity, have a way of keeping it alive that forces respect. On the other hand, in the Western world, there is very little awareness of how heavily conditioned we all are, so in the end, who is the most indoctrinated ?

Look up the word indoctrination in the dictionary before you post such drivel.

Just now, George Graham said:

Look up the word indoctrination in the dictionary before you post such drivel.

Do you insult everyone you 'reply' to ?

You did that with a post just above mine, so obviously you have anger issues, George, and perhaps you should address these as a priority ?

The level of incivility on this Forum never ceases to impress me. You and the numerous likes of you who infest TVF need to learn the difference between exchanging arguments and hurling insults. Or is that what you learned in school ?

4 minutes ago, George Graham said:

Grotesque naivety on display here.

I can talk very different but knowing about the upcoming laws I wrote like a stupid sheep without a doubt, grotesque is Thailand not me. The "Paradise" turned into Horror,  Dear George how long you are in Thailand? Me and my farang husband just 9.5 years ,a good job abroad and me opening up a company successfully for several years.

45 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Interestingly, under severe communist or fascist regimes, there is always a form of resistance which has produced a lot of remarkable works of art, and thus proved that human beings, in a system that tries to annihilate their thinking capacity, have a way of keeping it alive that forces respect. On the other hand, in the Western world, there is very little awareness of how heavily conditioned we all are, so in the end, who is the most indoctrinated ?

Religious indoctrination in the West? 

In the 17th century sure, but now it's the heartland of Atheism.

In Thailand they get plenty of religious indoctrination,  and as much of the other stuff as Westerners do.

It's not that they get one system rather than the other.

They get both!

Edited by Enoon

27 minutes ago, elliworld said:

I can talk very different but knowing about the upcoming laws I wrote like a stupid sheep without a doubt, grotesque is Thailand not me. The "Paradise" turned into Horror,  Dear George how long you are in Thailand? Me and my farang husband just 9.5 years ,a good job abroad and me opening up a company successfully for several years.

"... but knowing about the upcoming laws ..."

What does that mean?

10 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Thailand needs a "TRUMP" style politician to move the country to the right and away from the wrong left.  

#MTGA Make Thailand Great Again

Poppycock, there is little that is more right wing that a military government, and even outside that Thailand is a very politically conservative nation - all major parties are on the right. It's not had a strong leftist movement since the mid 70s.. I'll leave it to you to find out how that worked out.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

29 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

What utter claptrap, this guy is off his trolley. Kindergarten Hitler Youth? What a load of tosh! Have you been at the magic mushrooms? What a fantasy world you portray Mr Draper. Lewis Carroll would be proud of you.

downloadfile-1.jpg

Is the photo / person in the photo relevant? Just asking, please share?

11 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

A school trip outing was all it was. Not the Hitler youth Mr Draper. Nice story though, should help sell a few newspapers.

Not sure why you seem to think a school outing cannot be considered to be indoctrination. I don't remember being taken to a military installation and dressed up in army uniform at 4 years old myself.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

I liked your post but i think that many in the West are aware of even subtle propaganda, can see through Hollywood, if they read more than the daily express. The internet is the great leveler. 

The nationalistic indoctrination, probably taking it too far.

But a little bit of military style discipline, some team building and leadership skills and physical exercise could prevent the next generation of Thais from looking like this generation of Brits, Yanks and Euro's, especially around the waistline.  

Back home, we used to do it with pick up sports after school and on weekends.  Got our exercise, learned to get along with others -even the ones we didn't like- , and to settle disagreements, usually with no adult supervision at all.  But even that's been corrupted by Little League Baseball, PeeWee Football and all the other money grubbing organizations who now post "reserved, off limits" signs on every piece of suitable ground.  I feel for the kids who are growing up in the sterile suburbs of today.

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

Do you insult everyone you 'reply' to ?

You did that with a post just above mine, so obviously you have anger issues, George, and perhaps you should address these as a priority ?

The level of incivility on this Forum never ceases to impress me. You and the numerous likes of you who infest TVF need to learn the difference between exchanging arguments and hurling insults. Or is that what you learned in school ?

The post previous to yours I described as grotesque naivety, yours I described as drivel. Please highlight for me the anger and the insults. Please also give one specific example of indoctrination that I have experienced in my life, I would be fascinated to learn, I am, after all from the " Vaseline indoctrinated" West.

The hypocrisy of the fervent public expressions of support for enforcing "patriotism" and "democracy" can be heart-sickening in a society where people are too afraid to think, let alone express doubt or question current values or future directions.  It's very sad. Considering the apparent propensity for over-the-top violence as a response to many perceived problems, it starts to get scary.

6 minutes ago, sandemara said:

The hypocrisy of the fervent public expressions of support for enforcing "patriotism" and "democracy" can be heart-sickening in a society where people are too afraid to think, let alone express doubt or question current values or future directions.  It's very sad. Considering the apparent propensity for over-the-top violence as a response to many perceived problems, it starts to get scary.

It's not scary, i live out in the country, the farmers couldn't give two shakes of a rats tail who is in charge, they are poor now and they will be poor in a hundred years time no matter who waves the big stick so they will vote for the one who gives them a hand out, better something than nothing.