we have had best resturants but whats your favorite beer?

davetrout

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The kaiserdom beers, sold pretty much everywhere make, in my opinion a nice change from the regular Thai beers. And at 195 baht for a one litre can, reasonable value.6d6cd6115b3001c1ecd7049cbf88ae98.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I saw this in the shop for 170 baht a big can but not a litre.

But i would rather have only 1 good beer than 5 bad ones. So i'll stay with Hoegaarden or Paulaner from the fust. Also i like those big Hoegaarden glasses, still want to have one. In Europe i've never seen the 0.5 l glasses.

Some restaurants who sell the towers of beer even have Paulaner towers...looks great but unfortunately they seem to be made of plastic.

Edited by fruitman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

So when you "treat yourself" you go with a "real ale" but when you need a little more bang for the baht you go for the Leo. 

You're right, my bad.

My local doesn't do real ale and it's a bit of a trek to any real ale pubs. I'm OK getting there, it's the getting home after that is my problem. I'm stopping a few going sour as I write this. Happy New Year.

8 hours ago, champers said:

My local doesn't do real ale and it's a bit of a trek to any real ale pubs. I'm OK getting there, it's the getting home after that is my problem. I'm stopping a few going sour as I write this. Happy New Year.

And a happy, healthy and prosperous 2017 to you as well!

One of my assignments for the new year to find a good beer.

- Used to drink Singha, still my favorite but the taste is not consistent, specially when it is older then a few months then it taste like soap. Doesn't matter bottle or can, it sucks.

- Chang is a good 2nd best but a severe headache in the morning.

Any advices? Bitter beer pls not Leo because too sweet.

Foodland in Suk soi 5 used to carry the German beer Schneider-Weisse's Aventinus, an absolutely delicious double bock with a refreshing ice tea, clove and raisin taste, 8% and 110 baht for a largish bottle. They inexplicably stopped selling it to make room for an expanded Chang section or something else just as criminal. I was just gutted at the time. Wishbeer sells Aventinus and its  stronger 12% derivative, Eisbock, also very good, which is the same beer but put through a freezing process where the top frozen layer is scooped off leaving a more concentrated beer. Wishbeer sells Aventinus for considerably more per bottle around 200+, but it is still worth it to me when they occasionally have some left in stock. Seems they are always out of it as hey are more focussed on more trendy craft beers, but I think it is also just a very popular beer with those who know it. 

I'm a real ale drinker in the UK, appreciate good Belgian and German beers and some of the US craft beers so to live in a country where the industry is monopolised by two or three major players churning out bland fizzy crap deprives me of one of my pleasures in life. It's sad that the industry does not allow small, entrepreneurial breweries to thrive.

My Thai beer of choice is Cheers Red, which is rarely seen in any bars, just on the shelves in the 7-Eleven and Tesco.

A fine red IPA made in a small microbrewery/restaurant in Hailey Idaho.  Enjoyed with a bacon cheeseburger and fries(chips to you Brits).  But failing that just about any reasonably priced ale, blonde or wheat beer available at my local farang oriented supermarket where they beat us foreigners mercilessly.  I find most Thai beer to be pretty poor and I don't like lagers anyway.  An ocassional Leo as I find it a bit sweeter than most.

I used to really quite like Chang Draught in bottles (Draught? Bottles? Don't ask me... ) but as usual, when I find something I like, they stop making it. These days, I tend to drink Heineken or Singha, although I'm not really wild about either of them. I'm more of a red wine drinker when I'm here in Greece (10 litre box of very drinkable Merlot, 13% ABV for €18.70 is what I buy for daily use) but of course in Thailand the tax on wine is utterly ridiculous, so I tend to drink more beer (or Sangsom and coke) when I'm there.

Bloody shame about the Chang Draught.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:28 AM, Lite Beer said:

If you are asking about Thai beer the standard is so low that being top of the list is nothing to be proud of.

Go for Beer Laos if you can afford it.

I prefer a nice cold glass of orange juice.

On 31/12/2016 at 9:28 AM, Lite Beer said:

If you are asking about Thai beer the standard is so low that being top of the list is nothing to be proud of.

Go for Beer Laos if you can afford it.

Funny, Beer Lao is rather cheap or affordable in Taiwan and Cambodia.  In Taiwan, it is everywhere as is Corona.  Thailand as a wet blanket when it comes to drinking. 

When l used to drink,

1) Draught Heineken

2) Bottled Heineken

3) Tiger

4) Singha

5) Chang(now its too sweet!)

l consider Leo to be utterly repulsive, far too sweet.

But as we can see, many like it.

You can have my share!

Now, l'm hooked on Thai Sodawater. lts got a great bite.