Costs of living in Thailand

jonn1

All - apologies this must have been discussed many times and I am probably being very dumb - I've tried searching the forums and cannot find any threads :sorry:

I have searched the net and there is a lot of info about the cost of living in Thailand - ranging from $1000 - $5000 per month - I understand it depends where you live and your life style. I'm a single 52 yo guy who would have an income of about 1500 gbp (1800 USD) per month. I do not want to live in BKK and like a quieter life - it would be nice to be near a beach or mountains as I like both. I would not have a lavish lifestyle - just a pleasant place to rent and enough to eat out a few times a week and a few beers at the weekend :smile:

If you can post any links to info I would be grateful 

thanks Jonn 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing to remember is medical treatment/drugs will not be free here so as you age you will likely require more (insurance policy will increase in cost with age).  Eating out is cheap if you like simple Thai food.  But wine would be very expensive.  Rent is reasonable and you can obtain good housing most places but transportation may be an issue (you will likely want something if not living in large city).  The search on forum seems to be bad but most times you can use Google to fine old threads here.  

You could probably survive very easily on about a grand a month. I have rented loads of 1 and 2 bedroom houses and apartments (some near a beach) and never had to pay more than (15,000 Baht) 300 GBP a month. Everything else depends on what you want to make yourself comfortable.

28 minutes ago, guru said:

For advice on the lowest possible day to day expenditure poster Canarysun is the forum's expert advisor

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hardly an expert, didnt he have to go back the UK to scrounge medical treatment off the NHS and no longer "survives" in Thailand what he was doing could hardly be called living.."just existing" might be a better description  

44 minutes ago, jonn1 said:

many thanks for your replies - it is appreciated - so it looks doable :smile:

thanks for the tips - I will look into further - as I say I have pretty basic needs but I need to look at health cover 

You need medical cover, you need a lump sum slush fund as well put away, 3 months expenses should be the minimum 

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Or if you are older and healthy you can avoid blackouts, STD and cancer and save a lot on health insurance until absolutely necessary.

A very naive statement on the health insurance, no one likes to pay for it, but you are very glad of it when you do need it 

56 minutes ago, jonn1 said:

many thanks for your replies - it is appreciated - so it looks doable :smile:

thanks for the tips - I will look into further - as I say I have pretty basic needs but I need to look at health cover 

And in regard to health cover, yes vital. Please check comprehensively, the usual belief is that none will ensure past past; 60, 65... . Not totally true, there are many more health insurers than the few that are often quoted here and there's also a range of types of cover and therefore premiums. Searching it all out takes a while but worth the effort. 

I guess a lot of people ask that question before they come to Thailand,you can figure it all out before you move here.

Once you are here what are you going to do?Sit around all day?Nice for the first few months but the shine does wear

of fast.

Do you have hobbies?Fishing? Traveling?Golf? All cost money and you will need to find something to occupy

your time.

I have seen a lot of people turn slowly into alcoholics.

Thailand is a great country to stay imo but it is not for everyone.

Learn to say no and choose your friends carefully.

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

I guess a lot of people ask that question before they come to Thailand,you can figure it all out before you move here.

Once you are here what are you going to do?Sit around all day?Nice for the first few months but the shine does wear

of fast.

Do you have hobbies?Fishing? Traveling?Golf? All cost money and you will need to find something to occupy

your time.

I have seen a lot of people turn slowly into alcoholics.

Thailand is a great country to stay imo but it is not for everyone.

Learn to say no and choose your friends carefully.

thanks jvs - this sounds good advice - I'm not a big drinker and do have hobbies and will be looking to try other things - I'm not one for sitting around all day so I will need to keep busy 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And in regard to health cover, yes vital. Please check comprehensively, the usual belief is that none will ensure past past; 60, 65... . Not totally true, there are many more health insurers than the few that are often quoted here and there's also a range of types of cover and therefore premiums. Searching it all out takes a while but worth the effort. 

Correct, if he takes insurance out now aged 52, and stays with the same company he will not have problems later on as regards premiums and existing condition exclusions assuming he is healthy now 

Most companys will insure past 60 or 65, its just the cost of premiums is high and by that time most 60/65 year olds will have existing conditions because they have left it too late and only try and get a policy once they are sick, and then start whinging about it

Everyone lives differently. You won't know for sure until you live here yourself and then live as you  normally would. I inflated my guess so I would be safe when I retired. I had some advantage because I worked her for a number of years before I retired.  That wasn't really much of an advantage because the company paid for housing, utilities and transportation. After I retired, I kept a spreadsheet religiously and found that my expenses were far below my estimates. I discovered that I could afford to buy a condo. That lowered my monthly expenses even more. My pensions allow me a healthy surplus every month. I had health insurance until they priced me out. I dropped the policy when I was 65 years old. I have enough of a nest egg to pay what was the policy limits.