most Thais greet you with 
where are you going
and every time i feel like saying 
MIND YOUR OWN BLOODY BUSINESS
my wife says that is a normal way to greet
another one 
what did you eat
i find intruding and nosy on my privacy 

Some young guy asked me this the other day while waiting for bus. Frankly last time I heard this was when I was a naive tourist on ksr. I asked rudely why he wants to know and he tells me he just wants to practice English. I felt stupid for being rude and spoke English for a bit.

Not much difference from "what's up" - "what's new" - "what's happening" - "how are you" - "what you up to"......

Just a friendly inquiry.....Interested in you.....You can easily turn it around & find out how their day is doing......Most are not long on conversation - unlike some farangs with an opinion/life story & unsolicited & usually untimely advice.... 

It is just a typical Thai phrase/greeting which can be translated as hello... a perfectly acceptable answer is "Hi" - - there is absolutely no ill intent in this phrase and if you see it that way, you are going to be walking around angry and put upon an awful lot. 

At some point you have to understand that this is another culture and things are just not done the same way as your home country... Their country, their phrases. 

ps - the 2nd saying you used would be translated as "Have you eaten yet" - a very common greeting and what a nice thing as if you answer no and that you are hungry, a good Thai will likely offer you some food... 

Edited by kenk24

1 hour ago, Lamkyong said:

some say where have you been ??      bah humbug!!!!

only those who can use the present perfect. many can't even use the present continuous so utter ''where you go'. urgh.

what's worse is native speakers (usually with a certain type of lady on their arm) say 'where you go'. so dont knock the non-native speakers too much!

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I always reply 'nowhere' as the question usually comes from someone who wants to 'help' you in a way that benefits them.

The other scenario is from bargirls as you walk down a soi so no need to even answer, just smile and walk on by.

You should try to spend more time on a soi that isn't full of people hoping to part you from your money. It really gives you a different spin on the whole Thai experience. 

OP you miserable soul l have a laugh and joke with what Thais ask me most of the time.

Something like this.....A onetime friend was sitting in the dentist and a Thai who knew him was walking by stopped and  "Asked what you doing"   he said  "l've hurt my leg"  the Thai said  "Oh no no your in the wrong place this is a dentist " .  :laugh:

OP needs to get his head out of his ass.

What privacy is he so concerned about?

Does he really think the average Thai genuinely gives a rat's ass where he's going.

World doesn't revolve around surly farangs with self-importance issues.

16 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I always reply 'nowhere' as the question usually comes from someone who wants to 'help' you in a way that benefits them.

The other scenario is from bargirls as you walk down a soi so no need to even answer, just smile and walk on by.

You know, I live in Central Thailand, no tourists around, and the phrase is used very frequently and never ever in the manner you are referring to... but it sounds like your answer is right on the money... going nowhere. 

I enjoy going through the checkout in Australia and the checkout says " Hello Sir, how are you today?"

I reply "Not bad dear, my right knee is a bit sore and my back is playing up a little bit. Actually it reminds me of the time back in 1992 when I fell of my bicycle. The front wheel hit some gravel on the road and down I went.  Mind you the road was a little wet after a quick shower. Have you noticed the changes in the weather lately or is it just me? That might be why my knee is playing up. A sign........"

The looks lol.

On 12/31/2016 at 10:52 PM, SoiBiker said:

You should try to spend more time on a soi that isn't full of people hoping to part you from your money. It really gives you a different spin on the whole Thai experience. 

You should try walking along a soi that doesn't have motocy taxis drivers on!!

The OP is either trolling, very grumphy or out of touch with the world. Nothing odd about a 'pai nai?'  (where are you going?) or 'kin khao rue yang?' (have you eaten yet?). Just a normal question like the 'How are you, how do you do?' in the west.  You could reply with a question of your own, a short general answer or take the oppertunity for a conversation. 

1 hour ago, Donutz said:

The OP is either trolling, very grumphy or out of touch with the world. Nothing odd about a 'pai nai?'  (where are you going?) or 'kin khao rue yang?' (have you eaten yet?). Just a normal question like the 'How are you, how do you do?' in the west.  You could reply with a question of your own, a short general answer or take the oppertunity for a conversation. 

I think his problem is a little bit of everything you list. But most of all, he's just not accepting that other languages and cultures have literal ways of communicating that are different from our own.  The *literal* mean of "pai nai" when casually asked of someone is NOT "where are you going?"...if you were going to translate its *meaning* into colloquial English, it would be, as others have noted in this thread, "what's up?" or "how are you?"  We don't necessarily want to know every detail of someone's life when we use those casual greetings in English, and neither do Thais necessarily want to know where the OP is literally going when they ask pai nai.

So to the OP, I would say the same words I'll bet he uses towards immigrants in his own country: "learn the language and culture, or go home".

28 minutes ago, shunter said:

Durn lehn always works for when in Thailand. When in the U K questions tend to be about the day, weather etc hence answers vary, All good decent social interaction and politeness, 

OP probably works on grunts and facial expressions, way to advanced for him

It's a Thai thing. For us it's the weather, but for Thais the weather is pretty much the same everyday, correct answer is " bai teaow" which means going to have fun, I always say "bai ha gig",  which means going to see my bit on the side, a comical response which usually raises a smile. It means nothing, and is not meant to be intrusive, on a level with " looks like rain today".

There is no correct answer and pai tee aow wouldn't be my first choice. Maybe I would say I am going shopping, meeting my mistress or whatever. I wouldn't say I am taking a trip. I also agree with Ace that people that use Thai in an otherwise English conversation are cringe worthy.

They never show up in the Thai language section with perfect Thai just regurgitate the nauseating bar Thai they know. This is directed at nobody in general as we all paak pa dek sometimes...