where are you going

opalred

On 12/31/2016 at 7:11 PM, pgrahmm said:

Not much difference from "what's up" - "what's new" - "what's happening" - "how are you" - "what you up to"......

Just a friendly inquiry.....Interested in you.....You can easily turn it around & find out how their day is doing......Most are not long on conversation - unlike some farangs with an opinion/life story & unsolicited & usually untimely advice.... 

I have been approached by Thais quite a few times over the years, as long as they have a good appearance and are not drunk, which is most of the time, I am happy to talk to them.

On 12/31/2016 at 7:25 PM, kenk24 said:

It is just a typical Thai phrase/greeting which can be translated as hello... a perfectly acceptable answer is "Hi" - - there is absolutely no ill intent in this phrase and if you see it that way, you are going to be walking around angry and put upon an awful lot. 

At some point you have to understand that this is another culture and things are just not done the same way as your home country... Their country, their phrases. 

ps - the 2nd saying you used would be translated as "Have you eaten yet" - a very common greeting and what a nice thing as if you answer no and that you are hungry, a good Thai will likely offer you some food... 

Yes, a Thais idea of good manners can differ a bit from ours, but it does not mean they are ignorant or nasty.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:59 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Ferangs who use Thai for no reason make me wince

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

23 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Do what ?..They remind me of Brits on Benidorm Series .'Pooor Favor as the any Bisto. Also I find it funny when Ferang does an exaggerated Sawadeeee Craaaaap and the Thai says HI,been here to long I guess,novelty has warn off

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sometimes we're in 'automatic mode' and unthinkingly say 'hello' or 'thank you' in Thai, even though the recipient is a foreigner, before quickly realising our mistake and saying the same thing again in English.

Perhaps its just me, but I think its good manners to at least make the effort to speak (the little Thai I know) to Thai people, seeing as we're in Thailand - even though the conversation is going nowhere unless they speak some English :sad:.

Back on topic - funnily enough a group of young Thais asked me (in English) where I was going a couple of days ago, which took me by suprise as I was in 'automatic mode', i.e. not thinking/I was obviously walking the dogs/first time I've been asked this in many years and had completely forgotten the friendly greeting!