Big Waves Spoil Launch of Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry

rooster59

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, tx22cb said:

Waves of 4 metre height = 2 m in amplitude - which is nothing in the tropics.

If this ship can't handle such conditions, perhaps it will be better suited along the Bangkok river or canals.

Although I have to admit that the ferry is performing better than the aircraft carrier, which has not weighed anchor for years.

Thai, US Navy conclude anti-submarine exercises off Phuket

www.thephuketnews.com/thai-us-navy-conclude-anti-submarine-exercises-off-phuket...

27 May 2016 - Thailand's only aircraft carrier, the HTMS Chakri Naruebet, is taking part in the Guardian Sea 2016 naval exercises in the Andaman Sea.

5 hours ago, louse1953 said:

On the other hand,would have made a great bad news story if it sank on the maiden voyage.

Oh dear, the TVF commenters would be howling with indignant outrage at how stupid the Thais were for not simply canceling the trip due to bad weather. :laugh:

15 minutes ago, striderman said:

sunday it left bali hai at 09 20 did a lap of koh larn and came back.

today it left at 08 30 did a lap of koh larn and was back at it's berth in bali hai by 09 27, well that is when i spotted it

today's trip to Hua hin was a fail as well ?

Weather Warning
Heavy to Very Heavy Rain in Lower South and Strong Wind Waves in Gulf
No. 18 Time Issued January 2, 2017
The strong northeast monsoon prevails over the Gulf of Thailand and the South, and the low pressure covers Malaysia and the lower South of Thailand. Severe rain is forecast some of following provinces: Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Krabi, Trang and Satun. People should beware of the severe weather conditions and possible flash flood.
The strong winds force waves up to 2-4 meters high in the Gulf. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore. People should beware of inshore surge lasting 4 January 2017.

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/

52 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

All they have to do ( :unsure: ) is extend the Airport Rail Link from Swampy to Pattaya. That will keep the good folks like yourself happy, BUT this is about getting passengers from Pattaya to Hua Hin and back and forth on a ferry that in theory would be large enough to carry vehicles, including motor bikes. That apparently is not happening at this time as it is only a people carrier..

Weather permitting...

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Having worked a lifetime at sea I wouldn't want to be on this vessel in anything above 1m seas!

Sure they got it for a good price when whoever originally ordered it realized it was totally unsuitable for ocean voyages!

There was a ferry service that ran between Pattaya and Hua Hin years back that was shut down by the Thai navy as they got fed up of having to "rescue' it due to constant breakdowns - Deja-Vu!

What worries you about this new ferry?

It's in good hands!

01_2.jpg

03_2.jpg

02_2.jpg

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

Imagine if they disembarked dozens of seasick passengers who said it was the worst boat trip of their life and that they would rather pay to take the bus back?

It's probably not a case of the ship being incapable, but more a case of passenger comfort.

That is indeed right.

Once, years ago, I made a trip from Dover to Boulogne with such a high speed contraption.

Only could come on after signing a note that the car and me did this on our own risk.

Windforce 9, blowing from England to France.

Marvellous ride, all the way.

The ship was riding the waves like a surfer.

Best crossing I ever made.

There were another 20 passengers, most of them did not like the walkyrie ride.

Those cats can do a lot, but indeed, are not very comfortable with high winds.

That said, the pic of the cat is not a wave piercing type.

So maybe has different rules applied to it.

15 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Please come down from your high horse.  You are teaching a person who has lived in southeast Asia for 60 years about weather pattern here?

I do not want to waste TV members' time on this "teachable moment" matter anymore.  I will not make anymore response after this.  Goodnight.

So you can't teach an old dog new tricks is true I guess. What does living in SE Asia for 60 years have to do with learning?

23 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

is it a boat?

or is it a tub?

I saw a photo of its interior

I would say its a death trap

3 seats on one side then an aisle  then 7 seats

To bad if you have to get out quick I hope the glass breaks easily

23 hours ago, brucec64 said:

This pretty much sums up the future of this service. Any guesses on how many weeks/months until final cancellation?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Come on! We all berate the lack of safety consciousness in Thailand so it is good to see that they erred on the side of caution for once.....especially under pressure of high  expectations and publicity for the maiden voyage.

1 minute ago, SunsetT said:

Come on! We all berate the lack of safety consciousness in Thailand so it is good to see that they erred on the side of caution for once.....especially under pressure of high  expectations and publicity for the maiden voyage.

If those  passengers had of paid it would have set sail as giving a refund is not an option.

Can you get the monks back again at 3p.m.?  The bridegroom & family have to go home and come by car now!

(Just kidding:  But it so easily might have been so.)

Rule No. One when considering setting up a marine passenger service:  

(1)  Is the vessel under consideration suitable for expected sea conditions on the planned route?   

I guess in this case, the answer was a resounding: "NO!"

OOPS!!  Wrong amulet worn while choosing boat.

You can't make this stuff up. And as we are in Thailand, we don't even have to consider doing so. We just watch our daily newspapers for idiot stuff like this.     DUH!!!!

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

That is indeed right.

Once, years ago, I made a trip from Dover to Boulogne with such a high speed contraption.

Only could come on after signing a note that the car and me did this on our own risk.

Windforce 9, blowing from England to France.

Marvellous ride, all the way.

The ship was riding the waves like a surfer.

Best crossing I ever made.

There were another 20 passengers, most of them did not like the walkyrie ride.

Those cats can do a lot, but indeed, are not very comfortable with high winds.

That said, the pic of the cat is not a wave piercing type.

So maybe has different rules applied to it.

'hansnl': Windforce 9 Beaufort, is it, on a catamaran ferry, are you sure about that Dutchman(?)? Could you please check with, f.i., the Rotterdam harbour authorities which vessels would be authorised to leave port... with a 9 Beaufort storm? With sustained winds of 75 to 88km/h when I'm correct?  

10 minutes ago, licka said:

'licka': I agree with you, especially with the middle row of 7, but allow me to add: ...find a life jacket and buckle it on! And no, it's thick, tempered glass, you need a special pointy hammer for...

3 hours ago, Lipboy said:

Monsoon Season - December to January? (see Kopitiam post). Really? I go to Thailand (Pattaya and Hua Hin) each February and the weather is calm, dry and hot. I thought "the rainy season" was in August, September and October? 

I intended using this ferry on 11th February? 

Hope you won't have asked your 'Valentine' to wait for you at the opposite side's pier then...

(It doesn't take a lot of wind to create waves 2m. high on the un-deep waters of the Gulf, plus, there are areas where, even with quiet weather conditions = waves about 1m., strong currents produce waves 2 to 3m. high. Like 'enjoyed' on the catamaran trip from Chumphon to Samui via Tao and Pha Ngan, a before reaching Nang Guyan, and half way between Tao and Pha Ngan, the waxed paper bags getting filled up quite fast, especially by Chinese tourists, don't forget to bring a mask and colgne to spray on it, maybe blackout eye protection too...)

Slightly off topic...Just wondering if this type of vessel might be the type considered for the 7 day a week 365 days a year round trip service being proposed for the Phuket International Airport to Patong Bay route that 'certain intelligent people' in the know are currently planning ?

This idea was 'floated' a while back as an easy transfer for tourist arrivals into Phuket to alleviate the supposed traffic delays on the island....

Considering the west coast of Phuket can be under a strong monsoon influence during almost half the year & even in the tradewinds season the sea conditions in the Andaman can be whipped up as has happened over the last couple of days here.

An unsuspecting tourist's nightmare.....I couldn't think of a worse transfer option, arriving from a long haul flight to join the long queue at immigration to then have to haul one's luggage down a wharf & onto a catamaran pitching about in the sea, a hour in rough seas to then having to alight & try to then sort transport to your hotel....

We are long term residents here & make several trips a year from Phuket, we know what will work & what will not, we either use one of our own vehicles or if we are heading away for a longer trip we use our driver... but as mentioned, we aren't gullible tourist who, in the near future, might be sold on the 'ease' of such a transfer...

CANDA 

16 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Please come down from your high horse.  You are teaching a person who has lived in southeast Asia for 60 years about weather pattern here?

I do not want to waste TV members' time on this "teachable moment" matter anymore.  I will not make anymore response after this.  Goodnight.

Kopitiam, 

Tazly is just an ''expert''. Only a member 4 days & knows everything... 

He needs to understand Thainess just like the locals.....

1 hour ago, licka said:

They should be the same as the ferry's that do the Donsak - Koh Samui route. No problem if u have vehicle traffic too.

Maybe different if passengers only...